U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 AM
 
18 posts, read 36,882 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Last week I started a thread and was amazed at the hostility directed at me not because of the content of my argument but because of who was making it - a person perceived to be "from away".

It didn't matter that I was born in Maine, grew up here, that my family has lived here since the 1760s or that I spend time (and money) here, paying hefty taxes on and restoring a historic property while supporting local businesses and charities.

The fact that my legal residence is out of state apparently renders me a second class citizen, somebody it's OK to treat like something you scraped off your shoe.

What is this about? My idea of a native is somebody who was born in Maine, period. You can't take away a person's birthright just because they had to leave the state in order to find work.

By the same token a person who lives in Maine currently can never be a native if they weren't born here. You will always be "from away" (are you listening, Acadianlion and Island Girl?) even if you moved here decades ago.

(Basically we're ALL "from away" unless we're Native American, which I also happen to be as was recently confirmed by DNA testing.)

Being shouted down or called names in some online forum is one thing but the attitude represented here extends to town meetings, where it really matters - a good idea isn't a good idea if someone "from away" proposes it, it would seem.

What does this say about our state? It's all very well to be proud of being from here, it's a great place, but bigotry and hatred are ugly emotions and don't reflect well on us at all.

 
Old 12-11-2009, 10:23 AM
 
8,760 posts, read 16,113,010 times
Reputation: 3486
Being "from away" is more of an attitude thing. A person can be born in Maine and still be so obnoxious that no one wants anything to do with them. There are people from "away" who assimilate nicely into the Maine way of life. They respect the choices of Mainers and emmulate their lifestyles. There are others who blow into the state buy up a pile of land cover the perimeter with "No Tresspassing" signs, buy an election to the town counsel so they can rewrite zoning laws to do away with trailers and ban hunting. Those types do not endear themselves to the lifetime Mainers. If a person from away moves to Maine, tries to get along with everyone, respects the traditions of the people of the state, helps out when they can, knows when to stay home(Mainers like their privacy too),and doesn't try to change everything. They will get along just fine.
The influences of living "away" from Maine can linger with someone who has moved out of state for a while then returned. They MAY have carried back an attitude that they know better than the locals. That attitude won't fly either . If someone expresses themselves in an "in your face" manner one could see where they might be considered to be "from away" regardless of where they were born.
BTW "Island Mermaid" was born here and Acadianlion has earned the title of Honarary Native Mainer several times over!. It's an attitude thing!!

Last edited by Maineah; 12-11-2009 at 11:28 AM..
 
Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
4,866 posts, read 3,522,013 times
Reputation: 3408
If you were born in Maine, you aren't from away.
If you weren't, then you are.

There are few exceptions to this, imho. I've always wondered about my father: his ancestors were in Maine for a couple hundred years, and they never left. BUT my grandmother went down to NYC for a few weeks to stay with her sister (who was a nurse), so that she could have her help with the birth. Then she and my dad went back home to Milo (and he never left Maine).
Does that make my dad from away??? What do you think???
 
Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Maine
5,969 posts, read 11,136,966 times
Reputation: 5240
A carbon copy of this thread was deleted (though moderators can still see it, out of sight isn't out of mind) last week.
 
Old 12-11-2009, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Maine's garden spot
3,095 posts, read 5,426,489 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
A carbon copy of this thread was deleted (though moderators can still see it, out of sight isn't out of mind) last week.


Last weeks conversation doesn't bother tem at all. It's pretty easy to see they'repretty much over it.

The legion hall looks nice.
 
Old 12-11-2009, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Maine
5,969 posts, read 11,136,966 times
Reputation: 5240
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Last weeks conversation doesn't bother tem at all. It's pretty easy to see they'repretty much over it.

The legion hall looks nice.
You know, I'm glad you said that. I forgot to look!
 
Old 12-11-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,891 posts, read 5,148,590 times
Reputation: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
If you were born in Maine, you aren't from away.
If you weren't, then you are.

There are few exceptions to this, imho. I've always wondered about my father: his ancestors were in Maine for a couple hundred years, and they never left. BUT my grandmother went down to NYC for a few weeks to stay with her sister (who was a nurse), so that she could have her help with the birth. Then she and my dad went back home to Milo (and he never left Maine).
Does that make my dad from away??? What do you think???
Likewise with people born during a short visit to Maine.. are they "from Maine" or were they simply born in Maine? Was Nelson Rockefeller from Maine? Are the children who were born to military members while they were stationed at Brunswick, Winter Harbor, Dow or Loring "from Maine"? (Back to the old cat/kittens/oven/biscuits theory?)

OMG! I have always considered myself from Deer Isle, but I was actually born in Blue Hill. Does that make me from Blue Hill? And my sister would then be from Bangor? And my mother from Castine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoseth View Post
Last week I started a thread and was amazed at the hostility directed at me not because of the content of my argument but because of who was making it - a person perceived to be "from away".

It didn't matter that I was born in Maine, grew up here, that my family has lived here since the 1760s or that I spend time (and money) here, paying hefty taxes on and restoring a historic property while supporting local businesses and charities.

The fact that my legal residence is out of state apparently renders me a second class citizen, somebody it's OK to treat like something you scraped off your shoe.

What is this about? My idea of a native is somebody who was born in Maine, period. You can't take away a person's birthright just because they had to leave the state in order to find work.

By the same token a person who lives in Maine currently can never be a native if they weren't born here. You will always be "from away" (are you listening, Acadianlion and Island Girl?) even if you moved here decades ago.

(Basically we're ALL "from away" unless we're Native American, which I also happen to be as was recently confirmed by DNA testing.)

Being shouted down or called names in some online forum is one thing but the attitude represented here extends to town meetings, where it really matters - a good idea isn't a good idea if someone "from away" proposes it, it would seem.

What does this say about our state? It's all very well to be proud of being from here, it's a great place, but bigotry and hatred are ugly emotions and don't reflect well on us at all.
Wait a minute... I don't know why you felt it necessary to single out those 2 members with a statement about always being "from away". Are you assuming that neither is "from" Maine? I don't know about Lion's background, but I can tell you that Island Mermaid is just as "from Maine" as you claim to be- her ancestors followed mine onto Deer Isle in the early 1760's, part of the first group of white settlers to inhabit the land along the Eggemoggin Reach. Why are you offended that some may have assumed you were from away, but then turn right around and do the exact same thing to someone else?

Last edited by deerislesmile; 12-11-2009 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: there was an "e" that just didn't belong...
 
Old 12-11-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Maine
5,969 posts, read 11,136,966 times
Reputation: 5240
I was born at Dow. Dow is long gone. Does this mean I don't exist?
 
Old 12-11-2009, 11:56 AM
 
Location: 43.55N 69.58W
3,231 posts, read 6,542,384 times
Reputation: 2972
I'm loving the 'ignore' feature in this forum and loving all of my Face Book/ CD friends! You guys are just the best! LMAO!
 
Old 12-11-2009, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
Reputation: 6815
Kitten/muffin guy here. Wouldn't someone who'd moved there from somewhere else as a small child and then grown up there be less "from away" than someone who'd done the opposite? Interesting that there are certain states that seem more concerned about this subject than others and where "outsiders" feel a greater degree of insecurity about being from another place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top