U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times

Advertisements

My next door neighbor lived in his cellar for three years while he saved enough to frame up the house. That year it was weather tight. Then he continued to live in the cellar another year. They moved upstairs the following summer. They were debt free when they moved upstairs. The town that prohibited a property owner from living in his own home ought to just give up their town charter. They have no regard for human rights.

Hang around these boards for a while and you can predict what the various posters will say. They will out themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 04:49 PM

384 posts, read 363,249 times
Personally, I wouldn't care if my neighbor lives in a hollow log. My standards are a little higher, but I'd figure it's his business. I'm tired of living where I have to worry about what the neighbors think. Can't wait to move!

Old 12-15-2009, 04:55 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
My next door neighbor lived in his cellar for three years while he saved enough to frame up the house. That year it was weather tight. Then he continued to live in the cellar another year. They moved upstairs the following summer. They were debt free when they moved upstairs. The town that prohibited a property owner from living in his own home ought to just give up their town charter. They have no regard for human rights.

Hang around these boards for a while and you can predict what the various posters will say. They will out themselves.
Nope. I ain't saying nothing.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:03 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times
I have "neighbors" in expensive appearing homes and "neighbors" in old mobile homes with tarps on the roof. My house was someones "camp". The only thing that bothers me is wishing I could afford to help the less fortunate "neighbors".

Old 12-15-2009, 08:19 PM

243 posts, read 331,491 times
I have lived in my business in various states - namely Colorado and Massachusetts. Why pay extra rent when there is a perfectly good place to put a sleeping space, shower and bathroom? Yes, it wasn't legal and I wasn't about to find out for a fact if it was or not!

Cops knew I was there, but they knew me and were willing to leave well enough alone - checked to make sure I was ok periodically. I wasn't the only store owner that lived out of their business.

People do what they got to do to get by. Nowadays I have a house and storefront...guess I still live out of my store, technically

Old 12-16-2009, 03:25 AM

393 posts, read 789,795 times
I don't know about already-built homes, but for new construction a Certificate of Occupancy is required before you officially move in. I believe the code enforcement officer does a final check and it's not considered a big deal. This is in Oxford County, although I believe it's not a County thing, but rather the specific town that sets this rule in place.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:21 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Best bet? Check with teh town to find out if it's in the zoning ordinance.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:33 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
Many towns in Maine have no zoning. My town has no zoning. In my town the most expensive home has an older 2 bedroom mobile home next door. The builder of the expensive home was a retired prosperous potato farmer. The man next door never accumulated any wealth, but he got by adequately. Those two old gents went to school together and hunted and fished together all their lives. Why should government tell them they can't be neighbors?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Many towns in Maine have no zoning. My town has no zoning. In my town the most expensive home has an older 2 bedroom mobile home next door. The builder of the expensive home was a retired prosperous potato farmer. The man next door never accumulated any wealth, but he got by adequately. Those two old gents went to school together and hunted and fished together all their lives. Why should government tell them they can't be neighbors?
Now that is 'Maine'!

Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't care if my neighbor lives in a hollow log. My standards are a little higher, but I'd figure it's his business. I'm tired of living where I have to worry about what the neighbors think. Can't wait to move!
Living in a hollow log?

I may know that guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine