U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 PM

9,532 posts, read 14,343,579 times

Advertisements

As I pass 20 years in my occupation I have never encountered anybody who needed an "occupancy permit". Up here we call that a deed. You own it? Do what you want. I would like to see the functionary who tells a homeowner he has to sleep out on the ground in a tent on a rainy night instead of sleeping in the warm dry house because the owner does not have an occupancy permit. Nope. It isn't going to happen above the (fill in the blank).

As noted above, it could happen in Oxford County down there below the (fill in the blank).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 PM

5,502 posts, read 6,451,827 times
Fill in the blank? Oh, I seem to remember some thing about some overseas transportation thing...would that be the Nordic Walking Stick Line?

Old 09-09-2010, 06:20 AM

384 posts, read 364,993 times
Since the thread got revived I will offer an update as the OP. We had the electric done and a pump installed before moving in without any "help" from the government. We still have some gray water issues but we're working on it. On the other hand, I have a notice from my previous municipality in the Greater St Louis area that I must remove a branch that has fallen across my driveway. It was a limb from my neighbor's tree hanging across the driveway that I hit with the moving van.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 AM

5,502 posts, read 6,451,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Since the thread got revived I will offer an update as the OP. We had the electric done and a pump installed before moving in without any "help" from the government. We still have some gray water issues but we're working on it. On the other hand, I have a notice from my previous municipality in the Greater St Louis area that I must remove a branch that has fallen across my driveway. It was a limb from my neighbor's tree hanging across the driveway that I hit with the moving van.
Excellent. Nice to get updates. I'm sure you're going to get on the stick and take care of that other thing in St. Louis before they get all uppity.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:07 AM

29,759 posts, read 47,624,761 times
Nice going.

A tree branch lies in your driveway and the city is sending you notices to clean it up?

Sounds to me like it is an ornament on private proeprty.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 PM

9,532 posts, read 14,343,579 times
Just sent a note to the functionary in St. Louis that next time you are in St. Louis you will take care of it. Alternatively, you could have them mail it to you and you can take care of it here.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:12 PM

384 posts, read 364,993 times
Thanks! They can keep the branch. It was from my neighbor's Sweetgum (Liquidambar styracifula). I sure don't miss sweeping up them little balls!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 670,872 times
Another good reason for my husband and I to move to a place where there are less rules set by people who think they need to control everyone and everything around them. My neighbor has complained to the city about us several times. For not cutting the "weeds" growing beside our fence which were over the height of 8 inches (those so-called weeds were an expensive wildflower mix I purchased to keep the actual weeds down and beautify the area), and we actually had to cut them as the city determined that since they were not domesticated plants, and were technically wild, that they were classified as weeds. I was so peeved, but that's life in the city. This same neighbor complains about everything, from grapes that ended up growing over the fence to our small pond being a possible source for generating west nile virus. We ended up draining it and filling it in, the pond was about the size of 2 bathtubs so it was not large but it was just more trouble dealing with the neighbor's complaints so we got rid of it. Apparently, he made the lives of the former owners of our home miserable as well, but they didn't tell us that until we mentioned our troubles in passing, about a year after we bought the place.

He isn't just a pain in our arse though, the city finds him an annoyance as well. He attends all city council meetings with a long list of complaints and demands for changes the city should be making because he says so. I cannot WAIT until we can move for good, but that is 10 years away. I never, ever, ever want to live this close to another person again. And thank goodness for the live and let live mindset in Maine. I only wish our busybody neighbor with a serious control issue could be more like that, our lives from now until we retire would be a lot less stressful.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 PM

17,220 posts, read 22,262,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
Another good reason for my husband and I to move to a place where there are less rules set by people who think they need to control everyone and everything around them. My neighbor has complained to the city about us several times. For not cutting the "weeds" growing beside our fence which were over the height of 8 inches (those so-called weeds were an expensive wildflower mix I purchased to keep the actual weeds down and beautify the area), and we actually had to cut them as the city determined that since they were not domesticated plants, and were technically wild, that they were classified as weeds. I was so peeved, but that's life in the city. This same neighbor complains about everything, from grapes that ended up growing over the fence to our small pond being a possible source for generating west nile virus. We ended up draining it and filling it in, the pond was about the size of 2 bathtubs so it was not large but it was just more trouble dealing with the neighbor's complaints so we got rid of it. Apparently, he made the lives of the former owners of our home miserable as well, but they didn't tell us that until we mentioned our troubles in passing, about a year after we bought the place.

He isn't just a pain in our arse though, the city finds him an annoyance as well. He attends all city council meetings with a long list of complaints and demands for changes the city should be making because he says so. I cannot WAIT until we can move for good, but that is 10 years away. I never, ever, ever want to live this close to another person again. And thank goodness for the live and let live mindset in Maine. I only wish our busybody neighbor with a serious control issue could be more like that, our lives from now until we retire would be a lot less stressful.
I cant imagine a neighbor like that- I've got good neighbors, i remember one christmas morning shooting a new shotgun (christmas gift) off the deck
having bonfires, etc. and they(neighbors) still want to give me excess tomatos and cukes from thier garden

Old 09-12-2010, 04:41 PM

29,759 posts, read 47,624,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post

It sounds to me like you and your neighbor both live in a community where the houses are just too close together.

When houses are a mile apart you get less of those issues.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine