U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 AM

380 posts, read 521,189 times

Advertisements

I'm in the Christmas spirit! Done my wrapping already, and I just LOVE to enjoy the decorations upstairs while listening to sat. radio! Bring it on! We have a couple Yankee candles that smell like a fresh Christmas wreath, and they help to make a great atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 AM

162 posts, read 334,765 times
It does seem like it's been a really short time since Thanksgiving. We had all the Boston relatives up for early Christmas last weekend, so the actual day will be very low key here---which suits me fine. Not intended as a Christmas present or anything like that, but we got a puppy (rescued from Mississippi) last week and she is making things very lively and happy around here. Helping me work off some Christmas cookies too!

Just checked the 10-day forecast and it's looking unlikely for a white Christmas at the midcoast. I blame myself: I just bought high boots so I could run around in the snow with the pup.

I know times are tough for a lot of people. I hope everyone manages to find some peace and happiness before we close out the year.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:31 AM

2,712 posts, read 4,917,622 times
We're gettin' there... I have sent out gifts of mistletoe to many near and far (I order a large quantity each year so as to have plenty for my own use... and share the remains).

All but one of the orders have shipped from my business.

I am well started on the grandkids presents -- they are always late and will be again this year. That's what happens when you have business to attend to....)

And we got the TREE up (but not yet decorated) yesterday. THAT was a pain... a little tiny one (5') on a table this year on account of the puppy... but the tiny trunk on the natural, wild tree (cut on a friend's land) was too small for my large stand (which I got years ago due to my penchant for getting HUGE trees). We finally whittled down the trunk so that it would fit in a small PVC pipe which the stand will hold.

So it's up, the wreath has been on the door for a couple of weeks and the carols on the radio help the spirit.

I'll be celebrating Yule this weekend/Monday, and wishing everyone holiday blessings for whatever days they hold dear.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 AM

738 posts, read 1,613,816 times
It has gone by faster than usual for us also this year. We have snow on the ground but a fresh batch would help. We made christmas cookies last weekend and decorated the tree. The cat usually knocks down 3 or 4 bulbs per day by the time I get home from work. DW is 4 months pregnant so things will be pretty different next year. We will be traveling the whole state from Old Orchard to Madawaska next week with mixed emotions of being excited about seeing everyone and not excited about the hours of driving.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 PM

227 posts, read 355,984 times
Aside from the obvious lack of snow here in the sunshine state, I find it difficult to feel the Christmas spirit when everyone around me keeps saying "Happy Holidays"! I usually answer with "No, Merry Christmas" with a smile. Often this only elicits some kind of convoluted explanation of why they said happy holidays in the first place. Maybe I should just reply with "Bah, humbug!"?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
Aside from the obvious lack of snow here in the sunshine state, I find it difficult to feel the Christmas spirit when everyone around me keeps saying "Happy Holidays"! I usually answer with "No, Merry Christmas" with a smile. Often this only elicits some kind of convoluted explanation of why they said happy holidays in the first place. Maybe I should just reply with "Bah, humbug!"?
Well not everyone celebrates Christmas, and if I do not know for certain, I opt for the generic rather than Happy Hanukkah right now, Glad Yule this weekend, Merry Christmas later in the week... etc...

Old 12-17-2009, 12:49 AM

36 posts, read 141,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
If you have any extra Christmas spirit throw some this way will ya???!!
This usually gets me going...

God rest you merry, gentlemen,
Let nothing you dismay,
For Jesus Christ our Saviour
Was born upon this day,
To save us all from Satan's power
When we were gone astray:
O tidings of comfort and joy,
comfort and joy,
O tidings of comfort and joy.

And if that doesn't, then this one will...

O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of Our dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world In sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd And the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope The weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks A new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! O, hear the angels' voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born;
O night divine, O night, O night Divine.

Maybe you just have to go tell it on the mountain, Maineah!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:18 AM

Well I have finally got the lights strung on the crab pot wire trees in the yard... not plugged into the electric yet, though. My outlet got taken over by the heating under the trailer to keep the pipes thawed. Priorities! LOL I'll pick up one of those things that turns a light socket into an outlet or improvise something else this afternoon. Tree is next...

Old 12-19-2009, 08:47 AM

874 posts, read 1,635,194 times
We've gotten a lot of baking done. My 4yo is wrapping up random toys from his collection including clusters of legos and sticking them under the tree. My CD weekend guest has decided there could be a market for scotch tape scented Christmas candles. :P And I think maybe my Christmas spirit is arriving, slowly.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:28 PM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,832,111 times
We don't do a big Christmas. This year I'm a little behind. My sister was up for Thanksgiving, when she left I started a new job (same place, just different job) which takes a lot of my energy. I haven't done cards yet (getting better they are out on the desk, but instead of writting them I'm posting) so mine are going to be new year cards Matt (youngest son) came home, getting a lot done this weekend with the extra set of hands. Then back to work tommorrow....
I still need to get the prizes for the games we play, and the turkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine