U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2009, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Maine's garden spot
3,095 posts, read 5,424,551 times
Reputation: 3141

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Thanks--but I already heard about that.

But what I'd like to know is this:

Generally, is it possible to get reliable and fast (cable or dsl) internet in at least some parts of coastal Waldo, Hancock, and Washington counties?


As per your last question ... yes it is possible.


Again, it depends upon exactly, and I do mean exactly the location of the house you are purchasing. High speed isn't everywhere and not all towns have cable access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
 
1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
As per your last question ... yes it is possible.


Again, it depends upon exactly, and I do mean exactly the location of the house you are purchasing. High speed isn't everywhere and not all towns have cable access.
That's the whole thing: if there's no fast internet in a given area/county, I won't bother shopping for a house there.

Area gets crossed off my research list, saving me a LOT of work.

First things I'll ask a realtor about a property:

1) Is there fast internet and at least fairly reliable telephone land-line service?

2) How's the foundation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 05:39 AM
 
Location: Teton Valley Idaho
7,395 posts, read 11,512,943 times
Reputation: 5403
You may find that you have to narrow it even further than a particular area/county. Sometimes just a mile can make a difference as to what's available if you're looking at property that's not "in town". I'm not sure that a realtor will always know about availability because it varies so greatly. I think if you ask the realtor to check with the owners regarding what's available you're more likely to get accurate answers, but I don't think you'll be able to assume that the next property over has the same availability. It will certainly make the search tedious to say the least. Like I said though, this is more likely if you're looking at property outside of "town".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Woolwich, ME
162 posts, read 334,640 times
Reputation: 201
macdebbie, I second the answer that you should be able to find a house with fast, reliable internet service in the towns you name. I hear a lot of people recommend gwi.net for phone and internet service. We are using Comcast for internet and FairPoint for phone right now and they're OK.

OutDoorNut, as I read your posts, you're saying you definitely understand that there can be a lot of variation in short distances as to fast, reliable internet availability, and you need to check the particular house even in an area that's supposed to have it. You just want to know if there are entire areas without it, so that you can cross those areas off your list completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Teton Valley Idaho
7,395 posts, read 11,512,943 times
Reputation: 5403
woolwiTch, unfortunately, much more often than not, in Hancock and Washington counties, it's impossible to rule out an entire "area" like that, which is exactly what Austin and I are trying to explain. Sure, I can say "from Brogan road until you get to Rt 1 on the outskirts of Calais you have x,y, and z for options, but below the Brogan road you only have satellite"--but really, we'd have to explain that for ALL of both counties, because that is really how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 12:33 PM
 
1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
woolwiTch, unfortunately, much more often than not, in Hancock and Washington counties, it's impossible to rule out an entire "area" like that, which is exactly what Austin and I are trying to explain. Sure, I can say "from Brogan road until you get to Rt 1 on the outskirts of Calais you have x,y, and z for options, but below the Brogan road you only have satellite"--but really, we'd have to explain that for ALL of both counties, because that is really how it is.
Thanks everybody.

It sounds like it might be possible for me to find a house in those areas with the commnications I need.

So like I said, I'll just have to make that the first question I ask when I see an interesting property.

(It seems to me that when I first began to think of moving to Maine early in the decade, there were large areas--maybe even whole coastal counties--with only dialup; I guess that has changed)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 12:52 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 33,148,283 times
Reputation: 16733
Yeah, you really have to look address, by address in a lot of areas. Prime example: My next door neighbor (house behind me) enjoyed cable and 5Mbit internet connection, I had an antenna and dial-up and could NOT get cable and high-speed internet. 5 years later they ran the cable around the corner and I was able to get the same as they had. I lived in town at the time and there was only 120' or so between us. That was with Time Warner Cable in Aroostook County and frankly, it wasn't worth the wait .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2009, 01:51 PM
 
Location: 3.5 sq mile island ant nest next to Canada
3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Reputation: 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Thanks everybody.

It sounds like it might be possible for me to find a house in those areas with the commnications I need.

So like I said, I'll just have to make that the first question I ask when I see an interesting property.

(It seems to me that when I first began to think of moving to Maine early in the decade, there were large areas--maybe even whole coastal counties--with only dialup; I guess that has changed)
Yeah, it was mostly dial-up. Apples & Oranges, bud. High speed was expensive early in the decade if you could get it at all. We lived in Hot-lanta a short while (not short enuff) and in 02/03 we had dial-up there and so did most others. Sylvania bought high speed for DW and other sales reps but they had to have it for the customers. Even now, Un-Fairpoint is slow on getting things up and running. But hey, Verizon couldn't afford it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Union, ME
783 posts, read 1,301,868 times
Reputation: 967
woo hoo! In answer to the OP's question, yes. I live in Owls Head and the Time Warner guy just left. I've never had such lightning fast service.

When I was in town - in Rockland - I would have connectivity issues during damp weather...often. I had to power down, unplug everything from the modem, and re-power to fix the problem. I was using GWI at the time, and the tech suggested that the connection at the pole was the weak link. Whatever, I lived with the bandaid fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 07:20 AM
 
Location: 43.55N 69.58W
3,231 posts, read 6,542,384 times
Reputation: 2972
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
woo hoo! In answer to the OP's question, yes. I live in Owls Head and the Time Warner guy just left. I've never had such lightning fast service.

When I was in town - in Rockland - I would have connectivity issues during damp weather...often. I had to power down, unplug everything from the modem, and re-power to fix the problem. I was using GWI at the time, and the tech suggested that the connection at the pole was the weak link. Whatever, I lived with the bandaid fix.
Everyone I know that has dealt with GWI, including my parents out on the island has had this issue. I dealt with it myself while out there this summer. Talk about a PITA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top