U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:37 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,007,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
That reminds me.

One thing that puzzles me greatly when viewing real estate for sale in the net, is that often it seems the coastal homes for sale in the more densely populated counties seem much better buys than those located in Hancock and Washington counties.

And the homes seem to be in much better repair in those more densely populated counties .

Strange. Must be a lot of starry-eyed dreamers from outside the state with money to burn being suckered.

Over the last five or so years, I've seen many of those properties dissapear from real estate listings, to reappear a couple years later, in many cases the photos show different furniture and some upgrading to the house.

Gives me the impression that people bought those houses with little idea of what it would be like to live there and to keep up a house exposed to the element, especially an old house.

Still, the price disparity and apparent disparity in home quality between the more densely poplated areas and least populated areas is a bit of a mystery.

I suppose it's speculation: someone has a waterfront hom with a few acres on a bay in Washington or Hancok county, and can afford to sit on it, posting it for an outrageous price figuring that sooner or later they'd catch a sucker, too.
One reason is the "bubble" hasn't broke yet up this far. We have a lag time of 12-18 months most of the time. They seem to be dropping some now. I have seen one home (just off the top of my head) that hasn't sold for 18-24 month now and the owner raised the price by $60K. I guess artists feel if it isn't a high price then potential buyers will think it is crap.

If you're going to buy a home on the shoreline keep in mind to check the joists and sills in the basement when you inspect. Especially on the water/windward side. Look for black 2x10's, stained floors, etc. Anything that shows leakage. A lot of folks got taken by contractors that said they knew how to build on the waters edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 01:42 PM

30,630 posts, read 49,275,273 times
Maine is a study of contrasts.

Maine has both: high-priced homes which may include high taxes and an over-all high cost-of-living; and Maine also has low-priced homes in areas which enjoy lower taxes, and people can prosper in lifestyles which have a lower cost-of-living.

Maine is rather big, and as such Maine has different regions.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:27 PM

3,155 posts, read 5,669,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
tinbender I was thinking of a way to say the same thing..... and you said it so much nicer!

One of the most interesting aspects of this forum to me is that people assume that they can apply the same things in Maine that they can apply elsewhere to get information. It's a fair assumption, it just doesn't work most of the time. We see forum members checking the schools out on websites that in order to develop standing they require feedback from parents of students--I don't know a single person that has ever submitted feedback about Maine schools to one of those websites. People make assumptions that they can go to "Craigslist" to find housing, cars, etc, and if it's not there, well, there must be nothing available. Many people in Maine don't use internet sites in that way, and you could miss something great by relying only on online resources! We see people using crime data to make decisions, and we all know how statistics can be manipulated. msina has a perfect example of how statistical data will not reflect a true crime "rate". The bottom line is, what works in research for other states, and may be accurate, may not work here for accuracy. There are many, many cities in the US with populations larger than our entire state--keeping that fact in mind when reading about percentages and crime is very important.

Oh come on... we all know what a hotbed of crime Eastport is.Most of the people who live there are in witness protection. I rabidly follow the police beat in the 'tides and there isn't two weeks that go by without some kind of dog barking complaint. They really need to get more cops down there.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Oh come on... we all know what a hotbed of crime Eastport is.Most of the people who live there are in witness protection. I rabidly follow the police beat in the 'tides and there isn't two weeks that go by without some kind of dog barking complaint. They really need to get more cops down there.
All right, Bob!! We have worse than that. OMG there's kids getting caught with a pack of smokes in there along with people hitting deer. The blotter usually has 4 or 5 items on there and in the paper. C'mon now.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:11 PM

3,155 posts, read 5,669,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
All right, Bob!! We have worse than that. OMG there's kids getting caught with a pack of smokes in there along with people hitting deer. The blotter usually has 4 or 5 items on there and in the paper. C'mon now.

You're right, I forgot about the deer. What about those darned skateboarders? Heathens all!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:15 PM

Overlook Park was dismantled. No more hacky-Sack either. That'll learn 'em. Now they go to the breakwater. Let the Coasties deal with "em.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,717,353 times
A few weeks ago I got a note on my Facebook page from the Eastport Police Dept reminding everyone to watch out for those deer....

hey, you don't think *they're* behind all those statistically reported burglaries do you??? Naaaa.....

Old 12-17-2009, 04:35 PM

222 posts, read 473,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
You do think like me.

I'm worried about the property crime rate in Eastport-

But even more important than the crime rate, is access to clear and reliable land-line telephone communications and fast internet (I have my own businesss which I conduct over the net and telephone); and it seems that some or all of Eastport has DSL, at least, I'm not sure about the other towns in W.C.

Is that old house of yours a lot of work? One of the things I like about Maine in addition to its natural wonders, is the abundance of antique homes, which if I have to look at something made by man, I'd rather look at many of those old houses than anything built today.

The archtects and builders in many cases created literal works of art for people to live in.
You have to remember that when you look at things like crime rates we are looking at a small population so even a few crimes look huge. Yes there are poor people who live in Eastport (and other WC towns), yes there are some drugs (I hear of it but never have seen it first hand), and there is some crime (I know the local Irving was broken into and a 24 pack of beer taken-and some small thefts from businesses recently-but much less serious than a big city). But this is a vibrant place and one that will steal the "right" heart. I came for Eastport (though I chose to live in a surrounding town for more land and waterfront) but I still go to Eastport weekly and enjoy the town. You really have to realize that no place has 0 crime and 0 poverty and that up here it really is a good place for the most part and being a teacher even my most "difficult cases" are far less troubled than I dealt with in Los Angeles and Austin. If you are "right" for this place you will feel it the moment you get here. I researched all of Maine and chose Washington County over the whole state. I came up got a rental car and drove right to Eastport. It felt like I had driven the drive 100 times-it felt like home that much.

As to an old house-I love my house and yes it takes work to maintain. But these old homes were bulit to last and if you get one that has been maintained you should be good to go. If you are looking for granite countertops and stainless steel appliances-look elsewhere.

My students always ask why I came here-I answer I just wish I had gotten here sooner!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:39 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,740,739 times
Quote:
If you're going to buy a home on the shoreline keep in mind to check the joists and sills in the basement when you inspect. Especially on the water/windward side. Look for black 2x10's, stained floors, etc. Anything that shows leakage. A lot of folks got taken by contractors that said they knew how to build on the waters edge.
Thank you for the advice.

One thing I've noticed is that many Maine homes seem to me to be built too close to the water, either by being not high enough above the water or by being too close to the water's edge.

My dad was a builder some decades ago down here in the New York City area. When I was little I remember asking him more than once why we didn't live in a house on the ocean.

And he said you don't want to live in a house like that, because the house will get beat-up by the elements.

And now that I think of it, can't do your car much good to be parked by a home too close to the ocean either.

That salt air,while probably good for wood, would be rough on most metals, and salt spray is not something I'd want coming through my screens onto my furnishings and electronics.

So if I buy property on the ocean, the house will have to be high above the ocean and set far back from the shore.

If that means I cannot see the water for the shoreline growth, so be it.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:43 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,740,739 times
Quote:
One reason is the "bubble" hasn't broke yet up this far. We have a lag time of 12-18 months most of the time. They seem to be dropping some now. I have seen one home (just off the top of my head) that hasn't sold for 18-24 month now and the owner raised the price by $60K. I guess artists feel if it isn't a high price then potential buyers will think it is crap.
I've been following the online asking prices of mostly coastal Maine properties since 2003.

During most of that time, the prices kept going up and up.

And it wasn't unilt this past spring that I finally saw prices come down--in some cases, more than cut in half and still not selling.

Yet there are still homes on the market for years with an asking price that hasn't budged--talk about stubborn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or