Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:49 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
All vehicles driven by new drivers should have a bumper sticker,.......... "Caution, I don't know what I'm doing!"
Teens have a sense of invulnerability, add this to inexperience and it can lead to poor choices that can cause accidents.
Ahh, to be young and immortal again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 12:12 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'll probably get boo'ed and hissed at for this but I'm saying it anyway.

Weren't the kids walking with traffic, not against it as they should have been? Walking against traffic is the law. This is a sad but perfect example of why pedestrians must be responsible for themselves. If they'd been on the proper side of the road this wouldn't have happened. It doesn't excuse the driver because he certainly didn't leave the legal 3' between vehicle and pedestrian but it does balance some of the responsibility. If they'd been on the correct side of the road and the driver had crossed the line they'd have been better able to see him coming and stood more of a chance of moving out of the way. I see kids and adults doing this all the time.
That's a bad area for pedestrians, particularly now with snow on the side of the road. Many times young people from the Academy are walking in the road, crossing while distracted.
Two pedestrians struck by car on sharp Route 6 curve in Lee - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/131306.html - broken link)
On another note,... the young ladies don't all dress warmly enough for this weather! Makes me shiver to see them walking up the road in just hoodies! Brrrrrrrrrr!

Old 12-19-2009, 01:54 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,972 times
Molly, are your friends okay? The last snow storm, I got to leave work early, when the offer was made, I asked if the plows were out yet. I was laughed at, told them I wouldn't leave until the plows had been out for at least an hour...we gotta let those guys/gals do their thing.

Sometimes I think we say things in posts that we would never say or do in person. Yes there is personal responsibilty for the choices one makes, but when push comes to shove (and people are on the side of the road) there are usually offers of help, even if it's (like me) just make the phone call to inform the police there is a car in the ditch.

Thanks Ranger for the reminder, that's one of those things that can't be said enough.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
y'know, I see the same thing (all seasons) and wonder about it too. Guess it's something young'uns don't get taught any longer?? I know I learned this, even though I grew up in a small town that had sidewalks everywhere. When mom and I went "wilding" out on the country roads (picking things from the roadside for craft purposes) we always walked facing the traffic, up one side of the road and back down the other, if there was stuff on both sides we wanted to look at.

Even if it is pretty busy road, I'll take my time and wait until I have a safe crossing to get to the proper side to walk on, but then I haven't the impatience of youth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'll probably get boo'ed and hissed at for this but I'm saying it anyway.

Weren't the kids walking with traffic, not against it as they should have been? Walking against traffic is the law. This is a sad but perfect example of why pedestrians must be responsible for themselves. If they'd been on the proper side of the road this wouldn't have happened. It doesn't excuse the driver because he certainly didn't leave the legal 3' between vehicle and pedestrian but it does balance some of the responsibility. If they'd been on the correct side of the road and the driver had crossed the line they'd have been better able to see him coming and stood more of a chance of moving out of the way. I see kids and adults doing this all the time.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:25 PM

346 posts, read 786,303 times
Here's a photo I took in January. I was heading down 95 and at best I'd say 40 was pushing it way past a safe speed and the big truck doing well over 65. People won't learn until it's to late.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:56 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
y'know, I see the same thing (all seasons) and wonder about it too. Guess it's something young'uns don't get taught any longer??
Kids in Maine aren't allowed to take Drivers Ed until they turn 16. Classes are usually somewhere between 4-6 weeks long. They require x amount of classroom time and x amount of driving time with the instructor. If the kid takes a summer class, then obviously they aren't exposed to winter driving. They do however watch movies/ videos in the classroom about winter driving. It's up to the parents to step in and teach winter driving. Kids get their learners permit and can't apply for a license until they've had their permit for 6 mos and have logged at least 40 hours of driving time with a qualified adult or parent. A responsible parent would take the kid out and teach them out to drive under bad road conditions, most would take them to an empty parking lot and show them how the car and driver react to slipping and sliding on ice and snow. However, kids are kids. Yes, most think they are invincible. I've experienced this with my son. He's 21 yrs old and still drives irresponsibly. I feel like I should wear diapers when I ride with him. I've gone so far as to threaten to get out and walk as it would be safer! Hopefully, someday he won't learn his lesson the hard way by hurting himself or worse yet, someone else.

As well, if anyone sees him, feel free to stop and whack him a good one too because I can't be there to do it! He can be found in almost any Hannaford, Shaws, Shop n Stop, Walmart, Walgreens through out the entire state. He's the big kid servicing the RedBox machine. Just stop and whack him anyway, tell him his Mom gave you permission.

I also have an opinion ( go figure) about the pic that clownshoes posted. Ranger, please don't take this personally? I hate driving in a blowing snowstorm and having a big rig pass me causing a total white out condition. I thought at one time there was a law about to be passed about all big rigs would not be allowed in the passing lane? Whatever happened to that? I know it's law in many other states out west. I don't mind them passing me in good weather, but in a blinding snowstorm it's dangerous. They too often cause accidents by blowing through thinking they are invincible. We see them jack knifed on the road sides all the time, snarling up traffic.

Okay... rant over. Ranger feel free to respond if you disagree! We're friends, it's fine!

Old 12-20-2009, 07:11 AM

44 posts, read 78,486 times
Hi Everyone
I have a question that may sound stupid but I want to know what are the safe speeds to drive when it is snowing, when it is not snowing but the roads are snowy etc? I feel I am driving too slow, I just had my Winterforce tires put on last week, and still getting used to them. On my way to Caribou I always have big trucks or others pass me that want to go 50. I want to be safe, not get there as fast as I can since I always leave early. Thanks for the info

Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,294 times
Veranda, it is not a stupid question and when roads are bad, it is usually posted what the speed limits are at that time with flashing signs. I use a few simple rules (for me anyway) drive so I always have as much control as possible. I stay in the slow speed lane unless I need to go around someone. I don't depend on my 4wd as being the answer to go faster on bad roads. If someone wants to go by me...have at it. They have that option by my traveling in the slow speed lane.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:50 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
My comment didn't relate to driver's ed, but to the more basic skill of walking. You know, the "look both ways before you cross the street..." instruction that (at least in the old days) was accompanied by "walk facing traffic where there is no sidewalk." drill. All of which happened long before the youngster was even dreaming of riding a two-wheeler (which, since I mentioned it, folks seem to also not know, are vehicles and move WITH, not against traffic.)

And considering the way some of the parents drive, I am not sure their instruction would be any better in winter driving than just turning the kid loose. I also think the (supervised) doughnuts in a snowy and icy empty lot helps, I know it did me. The first time I ended up sliding, for real I was glad my dad made me do that. He was actually much harder than my school driver's ed teacher... had me backing around corners between trees with 6" to spare as practice before I even started drivers ed.

When I get whited out by a passing rig (it can happen with just a full size pick up if the conditions are right, not just the big rigs) I ease up on the gas to bring it past more quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
Kids in Maine aren't allowed to take Drivers Ed until they turn 16. Classes are usually somewhere between 4-6 weeks long. They require x amount of classroom time and x amount of driving time with the instructor. If the kid takes a summer class, then obviously they aren't exposed to winter driving. They do however watch movies/ videos in the classroom about winter driving. It's up to the parents to step in and teach winter driving. Kids get their learners permit and can't apply for a license until they've had their permit for 6 mos and have logged at least 40 hours of driving time with a qualified adult or parent. A responsible parent would take the kid out and teach them out to drive under bad road conditions, most would take them to an empty parking lot and show them how the car and driver react to slipping and sliding on ice and snow. However, kids are kids. Yes, most think they are invincible. I've experienced this with my son. He's 21 yrs old and still drives irresponsibly. I feel like I should wear diapers when I ride with him. I've gone so far as to threaten to get out and walk as it would be safer! Hopefully, someday he won't learn his lesson the hard way by hurting himself or worse yet, someone else.

As well, if anyone sees him, feel free to stop and whack him a good one too because I can't be there to do it! He can be found in almost any Hannaford, Shaws, Shop n Stop, Walmart, Walgreens through out the entire state. He's the big kid servicing the RedBox machine. Just stop and whack him anyway, tell him his Mom gave you permission.

I also have an opinion ( go figure) about the pic that clownshoes posted. Ranger, please don't take this personally? I hate driving in a blowing snowstorm and having a big rig pass me causing a total white out condition. I thought at one time there was a law about to be passed about all big rigs would not be allowed in the passing lane? Whatever happened to that? I know it's law in many other states out west. I don't mind them passing me in good weather, but in a blinding snowstorm it's dangerous. They too often cause accidents by blowing through thinking they are invincible. We see them jack knifed on the road sides all the time, snarling up traffic.

Okay... rant over. Ranger feel free to respond if you disagree! We're friends, it's fine!

Old 12-20-2009, 04:53 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verenda View Post
Hi Everyone
I have a question that may sound stupid but I want to know what are the safe speeds to drive when it is snowing, when it is not snowing but the roads are snowy etc? I feel I am driving too slow, I just had my Winterforce tires put on last week, and still getting used to them. On my way to Caribou I always have big trucks or others pass me that want to go 50. I want to be safe, not get there as fast as I can since I always leave early. Thanks for the info
It's not stupid.

I drive where I'm comfortable at. When it's flashing 45, but I only feel comfortable at 40 that's what I drive at. When it's flashing 45, and I feel comfortable doing 50, I stay at 45 believing they might know something about the road ahead that I don't.

People are free to pass me (I stay in the slow lane) and if I'm behind someone who only feels safe doing 30, then that's what I'm doing also Know their breaks hard. I'm fine with being late home, or to work, as long as I arrive alive, life is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine