Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 PM

503 posts, read 1,025,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Funny, everyone complains about the speedy driver, when it seems to me the person driving 10 under is just as dangerous with people piling up behind them.
Yep, alot of truth there too. You can be a danger either way to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Funny, everyone complains about the speedy driver, when it seems to me the person driving 10 under is just as dangerous with people piling up behind them.
Yes, they set a max and minimum for a reason. Safety. But the person chatting away on a cell or texting doing 75 has to be one of the worst. Short of a drunk or stoned.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:30 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
they all think they are invincible till they leave the road.and what makes it worse is while they are waiting for help they see a Lil old lady drive by in a two wheel drive having no problem at all.

Which reminds me of a couple of times over the years that I've pulled over to let someone who was riding my bumper on an icy road to pass by. Yeesh...getting somewhere quickly is more important than getting somewhere in one piece? I think not.

Usually, around a half mile or so down the road, I wave to him or her as they are standing on the side of the road scratching their head while their car is in the ditch sideways.

Of course, I'm not so cruel as to not stop to make sure they're okay if they aren't standing roadside jumping up and down cursing. If I happen to be driving the truck I might possibly stop and offer to pull them out of the ditch if they at least had the decency not to give me a rude hand gesture as they passed by me.

I usually make a point to say to someone who says "Oh, I've got 4 WD, I'll be fine." that 4 wheels are just as usless as 2 on ice. I do have to say that front wheel drive is far better than rear wheel drive when it comes to staying on the road in the snow 'tho.

Thanks for the reminder Ranger.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:59 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
over the years i have seen so many 4x4 warriors off the road.if i had to guess on how many it would be in the thousands.seen some real bad ones and some not so bad.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:02 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
No 2WD could have gone where I went today. I went 6 miles out into the woods to help somebody get a snowmobile started. The key switch had frozen. I got it hawed and broken loose and got that huge Arctic Cat long track triple running. The snow was 6 to 10 inches deep and the hills were steep. There was ice underneath in places.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:51 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 823,969 times
How many times have I have puttered along in the slow lane and said to anyone who was dumb enough to be going too fast....go right on by, then waved to them a little further up as I see them on their cell phone calling for a tow truck from the side of the road...spun out....is numerous. I have had 4wd as long as I can remember but I never thought I could drive on bad roads like I could on good ones. As long as I see someone not injured, I have no pity for those who don't have any common sense and think they can do anything on snowy slippery roads. Of course anyone can lose it in those conditions but why anyone goes out of the way to chance it is beyond me.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
A few weeks ago we had two teens hit by a car at about 8 PM. Both kids had both legs broken and numerous other injuries. The driver who hit them was one of the the local druggies on the way home from the methadone clinic. Those two kids will never fully recover. They were walking to the local Christian teen hangout.

When will we learn that it isn't worth it to support drug habits?

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 12-19-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 12-19-2009, 10:24 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
All vehicles driven by new drivers should have a bumper sticker,.......... "Caution, I don't know what I'm doing!"
Teens have a sense of invulnerability, add this to inexperience and it can lead to poor choices that can cause accidents.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 AM

503 posts, read 1,025,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
All vehicles driven by new drivers should have a bumper sticker,.......... "Caution, I don't know what I'm doing!"
Teens have a sense of invulnerability, add this to inexperience and it can lead to poor choices that can cause accidents.
That may be true but I've seen plenty of so called experienced drivers driving even more stupid than the inexperienced ones.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:22 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
A few weeks ago we had two teens hit by a car at about 8 PM. Both kids had both legs broken and numerous other injuries. The driver who hit them was one of the the local druggies on the way home from the methadone clinic. Those two kids will never fully recover. They were walking to the local Christian teen hangout.

When will we learn that it isn't worth it to support drug habits?
I'll probably get boo'ed and hissed at for this but I'm saying it anyway.

Weren't the kids walking with traffic, not against it as they should have been? Walking against traffic is the law. This is a sad but perfect example of why pedestrians must be responsible for themselves. If they'd been on the proper side of the road this wouldn't have happened. It doesn't excuse the driver because he certainly didn't leave the legal 3' between vehicle and pedestrian but it does balance some of the responsibility. If they'd been on the correct side of the road and the driver had crossed the line they'd have been better able to see him coming and stood more of a chance of moving out of the way. I see kids and adults doing this all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine