U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 10:44 AM

783 posts, read 1,301,868 times

Advertisements

I'm a silly Luddite wannabe, and was a die hard to the idea of a cell phone. I'm still a little freaky about microwaves, plastic food/H2O containers, and some of the interesting chems that show up in "safe" products. Then there's a local guy who had a lengthy career with Dow Chemical. I wonder about what he might have been exposed to...he runs around town year 'round - I'm assuming for exercise - dressed only in a pair of shorts & running shoes. And he carries a good sized rock. But, back to the subject of cell phones. I vote them a useful thing. And I believe I have managed to maintain some sense of respect for others when I use it. I think I have, anyhow.

Worried about cancer from the thing? I think not. I thought Reloop made good points in her earlier post on the subject. I am under the impression that they only go into day-glo mode when actually in use, i.e., sending or receiving. Cell phone companies make ear buds, hence you can distance yourself from the little buggers if you're going to have a conversation of any length.

But that's my rank opinion. On reflection, what seems pertinent to this discussion lies in what WoolWitch writes,
Quote:
There seems to be less here than the headline would indicate. According to the AP story, there is one legislator, Andrea Boland from Sanford, who wants to introduce a bill. She is being allowed to introduce her proposal for discussion next month.
I think checks & balances are important, in this case, in the form of the bill purportedly coming on the table from ME legislator Boland. I would like to see Maine pursue legislation for hands free cell phone usage while driving (& that's not hands free of the steering wheel and on the cell phone).

A peaceful to each his/her own, though! I sheepishly admire the "hold outs."

Last edited by maureenb; 12-25-2009 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 11:51 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshire View Post
That is one thing I won't have to worry about, as I will NEVER possess a cell phone! Could you imagine what our forefathers would have thought, seeing someone standing around all day fiddling with some contraption!!! People are way too hooked on them! People have turned very rude with these things, too. Yakking it up in the stores and other public places. And a lot of them talk so loud! But it does make sense that they can cause cancer. Why would anyone want to take a chance? Escpecially with children and their overuse of the cellular phone!
I very much agree with you.

In NYC people have given up land-line phones in favor of cellphones.

I despise the things.

First off, you can't understand what they're saying because cell phone reception is so erractic.

Couple that fact with about half of all New Yorker's not speaking English as a first language, and what people are saying on cell phones is almost unintelligble.

I have one that I keep only for emergencies. I've had it for two years, and I still cannot figure how to raise or lower the call volume.

I figure the way to do it must be buried in all the game and messaging and email and web icons and such time-wasting features.

But I could never find it.

People really waste time typing messages on these gadgets--I mean why bother, when you can call them--isn't that what a phone is for? Instead they type to each other, on mini keyboards?

Nuts!

Old 12-25-2009, 12:57 PM

114 posts, read 314,077 times
Obviously your politicians have wayyyyyyy too much time on their hands.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:11 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
A NY Legislator had put a bill in to prohibit the use of cell phones on city street. It seems one of his constituents was run down and killed because he was talking/texting and not watching where he was going. Stepped right out into the street.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:29 PM

739 posts, read 815,716 times
Smoking a cigarette while using a cell phone might cause cancer!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 AM

177 posts, read 353,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshire View Post
That is one thing I won't have to worry about, as I will NEVER possess a cell phone! Could you imagine what our forefathers would have thought, seeing someone standing around all day fiddling with some contraption!!! People are way too hooked on them! People have turned very rude with these things, too. Yakking it up in the stores and other public places. And a lot of them talk so loud! But it does make sense that they can cause cancer. Why would anyone want to take a chance? Escpecially with children and their overuse of the cellular phone!
I'm sorry, but this statement is ridiculous. Our forefathers didn't have computers with an internet connection to a discussion forum either. I think cell phones are a pain in the rear end as well, but they are needed in today's world, like it or not. And as far as cancer goes, if you wouldn't take a chance with cell phones (where there has been NO study done that has confirmed the cancer allegations) why would you ever expose yourself to sunshine; drink/eat diet anything; eat red meat; etc; etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
I very much agree with you.

In NYC people have given up land-line phones in favor of cellphones.

I despise the things.
People all over the world use cell phones and turn off their landlines - it's called economizing. If you need a cell phone for work or to be in touch with your kids or whatever, and you get fine reception at home, why would you want to keep both phones when you can get by with just the cell phone??

Quote:
First off, you can't understand what they're saying because cell phone reception is so erractic.

Couple that fact with about half of all New Yorker's not speaking English as a first language, and what people are saying on cell phones is almost unintelligble.
So, what you're saying is that you despise cell phones because some people's first language is not english. hmmm... really?

Quote:
I have one that I keep only for emergencies. I've had it for two years, and I still cannot figure how to raise or lower the call volume.

I figure the way to do it must be buried in all the game and messaging and email and web icons and such time-wasting features.

But I could never find it.

People really waste time typing messages on these gadgets--I mean why bother, when you can call them--isn't that what a phone is for? Instead they type to each other, on mini keyboards?

Nuts!
If you can't figure out how to work your own cell phone, then there's something else going on here. They're not that difficult. Really. And, while I agree that texting is annoying, it's faster and less obtrusive than a phone call sometimes.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:56 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,550,148 times
I will not carry a cell phone in public - I don't want it ringing and I don't want a ton of people behind me in line at the grocery store to hear my conversations. There were several of us behind a lady at the post office being forced to listen to her rather loud conversation on how her gall bladder surgery went and what the doctors did - made me physically sick.

I don't care if cell phones cause cancer or not - I don't use mine, it's really not mine, my son put me on his plan cause he was afraid I'd get stuck somewhere and have no way of getting help. I don't do that texting thingy, it's also annoying as are those cutesy ring tones. I'll never give up my land line.

I don't know how to use this cell phone I have, it takes pictures, does text messages, has a message feature, stores other numbers in it and I don't know how to access any of it, nor do I care - if you want to talk to me, call the house number cause the cell phone is in the bottom of my purse and I don't even know the number since I've never called myself on the cell phone.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:45 AM

2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
I'm with you Blueshire. Honestly, I don't give a hoot whether cells cause cancer or not... no one gets out of here alive anyway! but I have no need to carry my friends around in my back pocket... or be harassed by anyone when I am out and about, with my mind on the tasks and errands at hand.

One of the stores where I shop here in Corinth has a sign up at the pharmacy counter to the effect of "if you want to be waited on, hang up the phone..." I wish my store had one. If you carry a phone, I can see stepping away from the counter (or outside... ) to call home if you think you have forgotten something, or to check on a particular brand or whatever... but taking random calls and making chit-chat while trying to conduct a transaction at my counter is rude and slows down the line, even if I do ignore the fact that you are one the phone. If it's an emergency, what are you doing in the convenience store check out line and and if it's not an emergency, it can wait!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:58 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,263,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post

One of the stores where I shop here in Corinth has a sign up at the pharmacy counter to the effect of "if you want to be waited on, hang up the phone..." I wish my store had one. If you carry a phone, I can see stepping away from the counter (or outside... ) to call home if you think you have forgotten something, or to check on a particular brand or whatever... but taking random calls and making chit-chat while trying to conduct a transaction at my counter is rude and slows down the line, even if I do ignore the fact that you are one the phone. If it's an emergency, what are you doing in the convenience store check out line and and if it's not an emergency, it can wait!
There are concerns about cancer in certain Oncology circles, but like everything else new, there isn't yet enough evidence to draw solid conclusions since this is relatively new technology. I've also heard concerns about all of the "wireless technology" causing problems too, but that doesn't seem to be as much of a concern right now.

IMO, it's too early to tell, but there again, I'd find it awfully hard to pinpoint one causitive agent or another. To me, it's purely speculative since we are exposed to so many carcinogens on a daily basis and throughout our lifetimes. For example, many cases of prostate cancer (the aggressive type) are linked to lifetime work with heavy metals (welders for example) paints, and other occupational lifetime exposures. My belief is that we take chances everyday we get out of bed. I try to pay attention to solid evidence, but I'm not going to literally worry myself sick over it. Believe me, some people do.

Last week, I was standing at the pharmacy counter behind a customer conducting business on her cell phone (ordering something I believe).

Apparently, this business required her home address because I clearly heard her say "My home address?" "Yes, it's....blah, blah, blah...no, not blah, but blah...will you be sending that out today?" I was amazed. There were quite a few people that heard her home address, and I don't think any one of us didn't have one raised eyebrow on our faces. I couldn't help but politely ask her if she was aware that everyone standing in line now knew her home address. "Oh my gosh, I never thought of that!"

I Yi Yi...this is far from the first time I've heard things of this nature from people chatting on cell phones in public - it's been a while, but still. What's up with that? Is there some sort of invisible cloak of supposed privacy?

I don't think that there are many people who haven't become aware of the nightly news stories about break-ins.

I have one which I need to regularly remove from my pocketbook to charge because of course, after a fashion, it dies. It's a hand-me-down from a worried son, but since I work most any shift, it is nice to have one in case I break down somewhere. Otherwise, it's a leash to me, so I don't generally carry it everywhere. I know many people who have given up land lines, but I don't trust that I'll always have my cell phone charged up enough to have one, so we like to have an actual "plugged into the wall and won't go anywhere" one too.

To each his or her own I say, but I wish people would be more careful and considerate when chatting on one. I just think it's pathetic to have to hang a sign up telling them not to use it personally.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:40 AM

53 posts, read 88,653 times
Technology, in it's constant state, will effectually continue to throw at us new ideas to fumble about with in our minds of cluttered matter. Whether it's good for us, others, some of us, none of us, or not. Our downfall is having to analytically pick apart each and every one for there seems to be just so damn many topics of politically manipulated technically controversial information.

Preferentially speaking there are risks that I prefer others won't insist upon me, ie: a doctor trying to combat emotion with a prescription that causes violent spikes in my behavior or attitude, or a draft that implies I have to shoot someone. And of course there will be situations like being on my death bed where I'd have to take risks or trust another's judgement, however the most important factor here is information. Information that is often hoarded by larger companies, our government, or even health organizations. Withholding information can pose a dangerous threat against humanity. This being typed I'd like to point out that often we can disregard a warning because no one has found proof, but really this is just as much an age of information as it is an age of misinformation. People tend to forget that the smarter we become and more defined in our lifestyles the further away from our roots and what's of real importance we distance ourselves from.

What I mean is that more and more often the importance of what we don't know will surface and sometimes by the time it does surface it's too late. It's sure great to be able to detect and measure danger accurately but how often are we struggling in immanent danger because there was no way we knew about it? My point is, we don't actually know the world around us quite as well as we think we do and likewise we have much less control over it and the illusion as we create more control over petty little things is growing with us as we traverse into the technological ski-slope we have set ourselves upon.

Cell phone batteries are always being used, there is a 5% draw on them at all times because the lithium salt and enzyme solution produces an erratic flow of electricity. This erratic flow of electricity has to be constantly monitored and harmonically reciprocated with the proper electrical micro-components. AT ANY TIME, a disruption could, can, and although for now occasionally cause several dangerous health hazards. We actually inhale fumes from the phone almost constantly. These fumes are flammable, combustable, toxic, and oh what the hell just look of the MSDS for ether and you get the idea.

Given this information is not on any warning label I have seen, I believe there is much more we do not know about cell phones that only implies we should do our own research and make our own assumptions of what is right or not. In the mean time someone's calling me I gotta go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine