U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times

Advertisements

I posted this two years ago, but we have many new members on our Maine page.

I used to substitute teach from time to time. I went to a very rural school for three days at this time of year several years ago. The teacher was out for three days due to a family illness. One of her assignments was to have each kid write what they wished for another child. The wishes were amazing:

"I hope Susies house will be warm this Christmas."

"I hope my Dad will come to visit so my little brother can see him."

"I hope my Mom's boyfriend won't be mean on Christmas."

"I hope Ethel's Mom lives until Christmas."

None of those kids wished for anything for themselves. They all wished for something noble and honorable for their classmates. They were wise far beyond their years. They were tougher than kids should be. They are Mainers.

Think about the Mainers around you and if it is within your means, do something for them this Christmas. It doesn't need to cost money to do a kindness for someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 12:47 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times
For many years, even when we had very little, we have commited a "random act of kindness". Some years it was gifts for kids that didn't have much, one year it was 100 gallons of heating oil for a family that was in dire straights, this year it was a monetary gift to a friend that is pinching pennies. It is so nice to be able to spread a tiny bit of happiness at Christmas.
Thanks for the great post NMLM.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:36 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,892,417 times
My ex once got involved with a Secret Santa (SS) organization in a city where you have predetermined houses to go to on christmas eve with a bagful of gifts for needy children. One of the hardest things for her was watching neighbor kids in the same dire situations where they too could have been helped if the Secret Santa organization had known. And the children neighbors would ask if they (SS) were coming to their homes next. Some crying on both sides took place and on to the next family who probably had neighor children hanging around too.

I guess the next year, their SS chapter planned it a little better and would try to go to their designated homes more secretly. But, normal life usually gets in the way of a good plan.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:14 PM

242 posts, read 331,491 times
My husband and I bring cookies to the neighbors. One of the families has seven children and not alot of money so we really load them up That way thir Mom and Dad don't have to buy or make cookies and they still have treats.

Some people when they are older get called "The Cat Lady" I will get called "The Cookie Lady". I think I can live with that Maybe if I have some jellies left, will put some in as well.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:15 AM

783 posts, read 1,301,868 times
Smile giving

One of the women in the dept. I work in knows of a local family, Mom, Dad and four kids, that is going through a real trial. So collectively we "adopted" them for Christmas. And perhaps our relationship will extend beyond the holiday.

Cindy was able to interview the family and find out not only what their daily needs are that are not being met, but also what their wishes are - a new pair of dress shoes, etc. She typed the info up and posted it in the break room at work. I think all of the items have been crossed off.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:32 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
i rode with a store owner yesterday that delivered turkey dinner baskets to the town office-to be given to families with hardships-customers of his store and employees had donated, not wanting any recognition- i thought it was a great gesture, for a very useful gift

Old 12-23-2009, 03:57 PM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,831,339 times
I don't do much during the holidays...all you wonderful people are covering this time of year. My big time is, Feb/March...people still needing heating funds, still need to eat, the pantries have passed out the last of the generous holiday gifts.

I know if any of you would like to continue with that great sharing the food pantries, poor families, all those less fortunate than us would greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:30 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
When I spoke with Bill Rae from Manna on Friday of last week they were still down $5,000. The person I was shopping with bought gifts for six people. She picked up two snowflakes and walked off to shop. While shopping she saw two things that she'd seen on the tree so she grabbed those and took them back to the table. Later, when she was done shopping and had spent considerably less than expected thanks to great sales, she picked up two more snowflakes and purchased those gifts. It was fun to watch her. She'd never done something like this and was thoroughly enjoying her experience.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,263,433 times
I try to donate to food pantry organizations all year, and I usually plant extra garden vegetables to send those too.

We have a local pantry in my town, and although I try to spread it around, I typically give the garden produce to them. One year, I had suggested that the DD's Scout troop give food for our pantry, but we decided against it that year as there were a couple of scout families who went there, and they were visibly uncomfortable when it was brought up (of course at the time, we didn't know this information).

I donate elsewhere, but I choose to stick most to the food pantry because I think that this is one area that sees the most needs (although the Greater Bangor Area Homeless Shelter often needs basics like soap, shampoo, socks, gloves etc.)

The following year we did do a food donation box and left it at school for everyone to bring in donations. It was greatly appreciated.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:20 PM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,831,339 times
This is so nice...very heart warming...you guys are the best!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine