Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 02:57 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameQ8 View Post
Can anyone provide me contact info for homebuilders in the Presque Isle area? Thank you
Honestly, I would contact Troy Haney in Caribou. He is a straight shooting guy and as honest as they come. I like Troy a lot and has always been a good guy. He has some great people working for him and NEVER cuts a corner in any house he does. He offers several top notch Modulars built to Canadian specs (Which is tougher than the US and higher insulation requirements). They are every bit as nice as stick built. He also does stick built homes as well. He will take the time to sit down and go over every detail of what you want and take as much time as needed to get you the most bang for your buck.

Yes I am an Electrician, no, I do NOT do Troys homes, so I have zero to gain by recommending him. He is just the best I know and he is who I personally would have build a home for me and my family if I were to have a new one built. I have worked with every single builder in the Presque Isle, Caribou, to Madawaska area up here. Troy is the most honest, best builder. I'll DM you his contact information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
what for?

OMG I think that's the first time I've used that sarcasm smilie....I'm going to hell in a hand basket.....

I'll bring the marshmallows because I'll be right there with you.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Should I add a smiley to that last post? LOL
Bydand, we love you even if you do not add smileys!!!

It really seems to be a more female thing to do anyway.....

Old 01-04-2008, 07:51 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Not sure what started the "smiley" or "no smiley" discussion, but I do appreciate when the emoticons are used, because it helps me "hear" the tone in your voice so I know if you're joking or not.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Honestly, I would contact Troy Haney in Caribou. He is a straight shooting guy and as honest as they come. I like Troy a lot and has always been a good guy. He has some great people working for him and NEVER cuts a corner in any house he does. He offers several top notch Modulars built to Canadian specs (Which is tougher than the US and higher insulation requirements). They are every bit as nice as stick built. He also does stick built homes as well. He will take the time to sit down and go over every detail of what you want and take as much time as needed to get you the most bang for your buck.

Yes I am an Electrician, no, I do NOT do Troys homes, so I have zero to gain by recommending him. He is just the best I know and he is who I personally would have build a home for me and my family if I were to have a new one built. I have worked with every single builder in the Presque Isle, Caribou, to Madawaska area up here. Troy is the most honest, best builder. I'll DM you his contact information.
Hey Bydand,
I'm not trying to hijack the thread but was just curious to know what builders are charging, on average, per sq ft for new homes in your area. I'm a small contractor myself and here in central NH $125-$150 seems to be the going rate. I mostly do historic renovations so it's a little different for me. Is there opportunity for hard working well rounded carpenters up there?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:43 AM

There is a vast range of prices as you know. New stick builts here seem to average $80-$100 depending on a huge number of things. That is seat of the pants though as I do the electrical and not a GC usually so those numbers may be off by a bit. For us we have done the minimum required on houses per the owners request. And we have gone the opposite and have had $150,000 in electrical in a house.

There seems to always be a need for a good carpenter. Just don't expect to get what you have been for the same job. Average for a carpenter on a T&M job right now is $35-$40, about half that for a laborer. People have been screeching bloody murder lately because the cost of an electrician has gone up to $40-$45 an hour. That is what I was charging YEARS ago out of state.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:46 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
How is the work ethic up there? I have a feeling it's pretty good..my husband is from the County. We built a home Downeast and no one ever showed up for work. We were blown away.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
How is the work ethic up there? I have a feeling it's pretty good..my husband is from the County. We built a home Downeast and no one ever showed up for work. We were blown away.
Depends on who you talk to. Locals who have never been away will swear up and down it is the best. People who have lived and worked elsewhere will say it is something you can work around and still get things done.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:45 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
Quote:
I don't think it matters where you live - everybody has or knows somebody who has a contractor nightmare story.

I get a lot of new customers simply because I answered my phone, showed up when I said I would and promptly got an estimate out to them. I haven't advertised in a couple of years now.

I don't know your particular situation, but I have seen many, many times people bargain hunt contractors. They get estimates from several builders and go with the lowest price without comparing apples to apples. You often get what you pay for. Usually somewhere in the middle is right. IMHO that is.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
Probably the first week of hunting season...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine