Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:58 PM

26 posts, read 144,714 times

Advertisements

So I just got back from a week long stay in my home state of Maine and ohhh how I miss it! I live in the south now (have been here for the past 12 years) and while I do like it, there is just nothing like home. Of course I will probably never move back because my hubby is a HUGE golfer and is in heaven golfing year round. I've been back many times but this time was different (maybe because I'm older,wiser??).

Anyway, just wanted to tell you all how lucky you are to live in such a beautiful state. My mom was right on the money when she said to me (when I was 20 and moving away) "you'll want to come back someday, you'll see"...why do mothers always have to be right :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 8,948 times
I feel for you Ambyr,
I'm the opposite though.
I moved to Maine 9 months ago after living my whole life in Pennsylvania, Maine is nice but I miss home, I will go back to Pa. some day though I'm sure.
It's funny the things I miss, the obvious things like family and friends, there was this road I always hated (Blair Mill rd.) always avoided it. BUT I MISS IT.
But thanks to the internet,cell phones etc, it's a smaller world.
Go Phillies!!!!
Wish you well.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:52 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
ambyr, I can so relate, although we left Maine just 14 months ago. It still feels like an eternity. We, however, are working on our plans to return sometime next year. I hope you can convince your DH that there are more important things in the world than year 'round golf. (Just don't tell my brother in Myrtle Beach that, lol!)

Old 07-07-2007, 07:41 PM

252 posts, read 710,273 times
I can so relate to what you are going through. We've been in Tennessee for five years. I just got back to TN after two weeks in Bangor. We like living in the south, though. Don't miss wearing a jacket/coat eight months of the year.

Norma

Old 09-28-2009, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,833 times
i live in south carolina, and my god, it is hell. i was born and raised in maine, and spent the first 14 years of my life there, now i am almost twenty and i would love nothing more than to get back there. but i also have a serious relationship that i am not willing to leave.. he says he will never live there. i dont understand, i have told him nothing but good things. im sure not many people have anything legit to say about maine that would change someones mind from wanting to live there.. and he is from maryland.. why are we stuck in this hell hole when we could be living it up in seclusion in the most beautiful place in the world?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:41 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
saw a bumper sticker on a car from NC "Born in Maine--living in exile." (car was in Maine) why should one person live in golf heaven while the other doesn't sound like she is in heaven? ladycaricature--you're young and there are single men your age in Maine--you are only stuck in SC if you choose to be stuck.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:25 PM

298 posts, read 482,130 times
I presonally would love to live in Maine...however my husband, who I love dearly is somewhat of a city boy and wouldn't be happy. His family is also nearby. Don't think I personally could find someone that would be patient enough to put up with my quirks!!! One dometimes has to make chocies and compromises.

However, am looking very seriously into summer camps in Northern Maine on a lakes or rivers. And who knows...

Quirky thing is, got him into canning and gardening. One never knows. He mused what it would be like to make and sell our produce along with the books I sell. He is decended from farm folks from Pennsyvania and Mass..guess it just takes little bit of nudging

Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
I presonally would love to live in Maine...however my husband, who I love dearly is somewhat of a city boy and wouldn't be happy. His family is also nearby. Don't think I personally could find someone that would be patient enough to put up with my quirks!!! One dometimes has to make chocies and compromises.

However, am looking very seriously into summer camps in Northern Maine on a lakes or rivers. And who knows...

Quirky thing is, got him into canning and gardening. One never knows. He mused what it would be like to make and sell our produce along with the books I sell. He is decended from farm folks from Pennsyvania and Mass..guess it just takes little bit of nudging
Keep nudging, girl and good luck.

Ambyr, take him once it gets in his blood, it'll be an easy sell.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
saw a bumper sticker on a car from NC "Born in Maine--living in exile." (car was in Maine) why should one person live in golf heaven while the other doesn't sound like she is in heaven? ladycaricature--you're young and there are single men your age in Maine--you are only stuck in SC if you choose to be stuck.
You can get those at the Maine Exiles web site: Maine Exile Products and their shop full of logo items: Maine Exiles logo gifts

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-29-2009 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: you mean I can edit this?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I used to surf this site a lot: Maine Exile Products

Oops! Should'a read down further to mensaguy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine