U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 09:06 AM

15 posts, read 35,967 times

Advertisements

So I did it. My big Job tour in Maine…..was only Four hospitals that I had to interview in five days. Really appreciate all the help I have gotten on this site, after weighing it out I interviewed in Dover Foxcroft, Skowgehan and Lewiston.
Just thought I would share a few thoughts from an Indian kid who spent most of the last ten years in NYC and is moving to Maine…and had a few questions. So I rented out a Big Ford F-150 and hit the road. The ride was not that bad actually and north of Connecticut, it was smooth sailing.
Lewistson: It was a lot larger than I thought, also a pretty busy downtown area. I stayed at a really neat bed and breakfast on Ware Street, and it was such a unique experience…wonderful people. Didn’t get to out much cause of the snow and the interview, but drove around Auburn to see rentals….however heard that there are tones of neat places to eat at. The hospital was busy and quite large and by the time I got done I it was 5pm.
I drove to Dover Foxcroft. Now that is a small town!! I think I had breakfast in both of the towns TWO “pubs” and met the entire law enforcement in one morning, cause they were having breakfast there….the people were really nice, and everyone very welcoming. I think if you really want the small town experience this is really it. By the third day there, most of the people knew who I was before I met them….
The last place I was lucky to see was Skowhegan….although it is not supposed to be much larger than Dover, it really looked like it had a much larger infrastructure with shopping and food, and went to a place called the Heritage House where I have to say was very downtown New Yorkish with sservice...not at all small town, not something I was ready for. I also had my first Maine Whoopi Pie….lol.

So when everything was done, I think I am settled in moving to work in Lewiston. I think that rural medicine is great, but don’t think I am ready for it right now….but may want to give it a shot maybe four or five years down the line.

About Lewiston-auburn…I understand that Auburn is better for housing, but really didn’t get a chance to look around much. I will be going back there on Tuesday to look at places to live. It’s just my girlfriend and me moving up and was wondering if anyone would recommend Auburn or Lewiston. I do know about the little crime and drug problem there, and was wondering about safety, and really was looking to rent for the first year, any idea of apartment complexes which anyone would recommend, or neighbourhoods I should consider? There may be a cat involved by the way….
Also if anyone has any help they can offer on what car would be good to invest in, I now know why I have seen more Subaru’s there than in NYC…are there are other AWD or FWD cars people recommend?
I really appreciate any help on all of this, kinda nervous moving but still excited…

Thanks
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:44 AM

2,712 posts, read 4,914,794 times
Contratualtions!! We got a Subaru Forester just before our planned move (we are in Corinth, ME and do not think of Dover-Foxcroft as a small town.. it is one of the places my other half goes for medical care!) and love it. I often joke that the Forester is the state car of Maine. You don't need a huge SUV, but all wheel drive is nice this time of year... keep MPG in mind, as you are likely to be driving further than you expect once you move here... exploring.. visiting...

Old 12-25-2009, 02:41 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,891,840 times
Nice job Mike. I also would pick a larger community if I were in your shoes. I love the Lewiston area. I have relatives all over Skowhegan, Norridgewock and Madison too. Including the Dover-Foxcroft area. We are rural for sure. Lots of positives in the more rural areas but it still requires more driving time to get to ones weekly, monthly and yearly needs. Practicing living rurally requires living practically.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:36 PM

1,815 posts, read 4,267,470 times
Hi Mike,

Congratulations on your trip and your decision. I sold a home to a CMMC intern in Auburn in October.

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-26-2009 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: please use DM and good luck! :}

Old 12-25-2009, 10:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,163,781 times
Best of luck to you!
Lewiston/Auburn aka L/A to the locals, is lucky to have you!! Great area with nice proximity to the coastal area and Portland. I have heard that Bates College has a wonderful art museum free to the public!

Old 12-26-2009, 06:07 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,980 times
Good luck in finding a place.. and congrats!

Old 12-26-2009, 09:43 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
I am glad to hear that you had such a great trip

Old 12-29-2009, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,182 times
If you plan to live an work on paved, plowed roads, you really do not need a 4WD or AWD vehicle. Front wheel drive and a good set of four season tires will do just fine.

Find yourselves a nice social circle right away and get out and enjoy what Maine has to offer. The first year can be horribly depressing. The weather is so miserable most of the time that if you do not make an effort to be out, you will go insane.

I have been here fifteen years, first as a single person and now with a family. Every year by the middle of March I am ready to run screaming from this cold, soggy, dark climate. It was dark by 3:45 yesterday!!

However, if you throw on the foul weather gear and venture out, you will be enchanted every step of the way by the natural beauty and wonderful communities.

By the way, as a physician you should be prepared for the particular issues that plague maine: > 60% obesity rate and associated health problems (especially among children), serious domestic violence and related health and psychologic issues, and rampant teen pregnancy.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,549,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereweare View Post
If you plan to live an work on paved, plowed roads, you really do not need a 4WD or AWD vehicle. Front wheel drive and a good set of four season tires will do just fine.

Find yourselves a nice social circle right away and get out and enjoy what Maine has to offer. The first year can be horribly depressing. The weather is so miserable most of the time that if you do not make an effort to be out, you will go insane.

I have been here fifteen years, first as a single person and now with a family. Every year by the middle of March I am ready to run screaming from this cold, soggy, dark climate. It was dark by 3:45 yesterday!!

However, if you throw on the foul weather gear and venture out, you will be enchanted every step of the way by the natural beauty and wonderful communities.

By the way, as a physician you should be prepared for the particular issues that plague maine: > 60% obesity rate and associated health problems (especially among children), serious domestic violence and related health and psychologic issues, and rampant teen pregnancy.

Best of luck to you!

Those statistics are not exclusive to Maine - they could belong to any state in the nation. Every state has those same problems .

Old 12-29-2009, 02:36 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Those statistics are not exclusive to Maine - they could belong to any state in the nation. Every state has those same problems .
obesity - check,
diabetes - check,
domestic violence - check,
teen pregnancy - check

Yes all of that is out of control coast-to-coast, however in most other areas in the USA they also have lots of: drug abuse, and gang violence. Which appear to be lacking in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or