U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:55 PM

4 posts, read 4,404 times

Advertisements

and for those that think I hate Maine you could not be more wrong. But people who live in NJ,NY,and PA need to know live is not easy here.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:36 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,939,194 times
Personally I wouldn't even bother with the CNA-you won't make enough money to have any type of lifestyle. Get your RN. There are lots of older people in Maine and healthcare workers have jobs.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:21 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,130,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmaker726 View Post
First off Steel*Faith.. LOL you are going to need nerves of Steel... there are no cities in Maine like you are used to seeing.. And as for growing season that is about 2 months long..
It's been said many times here that this isn't true. If you know what to plant and when to plant it you can easily grow outside without cover from April into October. Adding season extenders adds more time.

Quote:
and for those that think I hate Maine you could not be more wrong. But people who live in NJ,NY,and PA need to know live is not easy here.
I never thought of life in Maine as being hard until I came to this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Personally I wouldn't even bother with the CNA-you won't make enough money to have any type of lifestyle. Get your RN. There are lots of older people in Maine and healthcare workers have jobs.
That's an important point. Maine has the oldest population in the US.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,261,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post

Exactly.

Most CNAs I know have more than one job. Personal Care is big here where there is a lot of retired folks who live at home and need help, but many of the agencies don't offer affordable health care coverage. If you get your RN, at least you are better situated to pay for coverage.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,507,581 times
Quote:

You mean life? Yup... there's a reason there are so many sayings/quotes about life and it being what you make it. No one is keeping you here, the door swings both ways. Not everyone is cut out to live here.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,104,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Whoa, Maineah! Harsh assessment of your beloved state. While I do agree that Maine is cold more often than not, it has been pretty warm May through August for the past several years. (No telling if that trend will last, though.) Also, the Portland bums were out in full force last month, so you can't really count on the frigid weather to get them to move along. Regarding the soil, the rocks are a New England nuisance. Here in CT you need to either compost your own dirt, buy top soil, or hire professionals to till and rake the ground-and after the season is up, you need to do it all over again next year because all of the pebbles/rocks rose to the surface. However, the dirt is very rich and it's great for gardening through September.

I have to agree with you about now not being a good time to relocate to Maine because of lack of jobs. I have been scouring job listings for Portland to Bar Harbor for the past year and there is nothing decent to apply to. There are seasonal and minimum wage positions open, but I'm sure people trying to relocate will not be interested in those jobs. I'm saddened to hear about Delorme as that was one of the companies I was considering contacting about employment. Despite the weak job market, I don't think Maine will see a lack of vacationers this year. People from CT, MA, RI, MD, & Canada will continue to come and you may see some of the people who would have vacationed in Europe/Asia scaling back and vacationing in Maine.
I'm just telling people the way it is around here. If you have a boatload of money by all means move here. You can afford to put oil in your house, fill your boat with fuel, pay the sky high taxes to live on the water, repair your suspension every spring from the crappy roads, and enjoy the picture postcard scenery Maine is famous for. If you live here and have to work three jobs to keep a roof over your head, pay the high taxes, drive on the crappy roads, pay more for everything,(insurances, groceries, fuel, etc) you might want to think twice about moving here. It may not be this way for ever but if I wasn't already established in Maine there is NO WAY in the world I'd consider moving here now unless I was willing to lower my standards enough to live rough or had enough money to do as I pleased.
Maine has always been a depressed poor state. The scenery and outdoor activities, low crime, good schools have always been a draw to this place. I'm not sure it's worth it anymore mostly due to the costs of heating and transportation fuel, diesel or gasoline. I don't know too many people who can absorb an extra $500 a month for the high cost of oil and gasoline and keep a reasonable budget without having to do away with the snow machines, trips, dining out, hunting camps, vacation camps, boats or even running two vehicles.
Once that stuff is gone what do you do in Maine ....take up scrapbooking?? I'd love to have another boat to run around the bay with. I can afford the boat but I can't afford the $600 a week for gas for it. It makes no sense to buy it and just let it sit on the mooring all summer. Time will tell if the tourists show up this summer. If gas goes beyond $4.00 a gallon I think we'll see a 40% or higher drop off in tourism. That is enough to cripple that industry. I think we sit on the edge of a real depression and yet to admit to what's coming.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM

29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'm just telling people the way it is around here. If you have a boatload of money by all means move here. You can afford to put oil in your house, fill your boat with fuel, pay the sky high taxes to live on the water, repair your suspension every spring from the crappy roads, and enjoy the picture postcard scenery Maine is famous for. If you live here and have to work three jobs to keep a roof over your head, pay the high taxes, drive on the crappy roads, pay more for everything,(insurances, groceries, fuel, etc) you might want to think twice about moving here. It may not be this way for ever but if I wasn't already established in Maine there is NO WAY in the world I'd consider moving here now unless I was willing to lower my standards enough to live rough or had enough money to do as I pleased.
Maine has always been a depressed poor state. The scenery and outdoor activities, low crime, good schools have always been a draw to this place. I'm not sure it's worth it anymore mostly due to the costs of heating and transportation fuel, diesel or gasoline. I don't know too many people who can absorb an extra $500 a month for the high cost of oil and gasoline and keep a reasonable budget without having to do away with the snow machines, trips, dining out, hunting camps, vacation camps, boats or even running two vehicles.
Once that stuff is gone what do you do in Maine ....take up scrapbooking?? I'd love to have another boat to run around the bay with. I can afford the boat but I can't afford the $600 a week for gas for it. It makes no sense to buy it and just let it sit on the mooring all summer. Time will tell if the tourists show up this summer. If gas goes beyond $4.00 a gallon I think we'll see a 40% or higher drop off in tourism. That is enough to cripple that industry. I think we sit on the edge of a real depression and yet to admit to what's coming.
The price of petroleum is going to go up more.

No way it could ever drop again.

This is happening everywhere, and is not isolated to Maine.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:00 PM

2,052 posts, read 3,973,212 times
Maine is at the end of the pipeline for everything. Always was, and always will be. With no way to make up the income for the rise in fuel prices, you might end up surfing the web for entertainment, on a weekend evening, while listening to the Woof-Meow show on the radio.

ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...

Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 PM

29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
... listening to the Woof-Meow show on the radio...
Maybe some of us like the Woof-Meow show

Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 PM

2,052 posts, read 3,973,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Maybe some of us like the Woof-Meow show
Ya, but Coast to Coast...what's not to like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or