U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 PM

15 posts, read 35,172 times

Advertisements

Hi
Merry Christmas to all & Happy Healthy New Year!
My question is we want to build a camp 960 sq feet in pushaw lake area
any idea how much for septic? Well? foundation would be?
Dont want to spend a bundle any ideas or input would be very much appreciated. Who do you reccomend? Or anyone in the area have some input!
Thanks a million
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,664,169 times
You can buy a loft house from Owner-Built House, Cabin and Barn Kits from Shelter-Kit® for about $30,000. Two floors cape cod 20 x 24. Shell. Insulation will cost you about $1500 more. sits on 8 10 inch concrete posts or 12 x 12 pressure treated posts you could put into the ground with a post hole digger---thoough you'd need it to be tractor driven. Wood stove for it should be about $400 used and the pipe assortment would be an additional $400. Septic: who knows. A standard in ground system would cost about $12-15,000. Sand mound would cost about $25,000. Drip irrigation: $35-40,000. A tank in the ground could be done for maybe $5000, and would need to be drained periodically. Well: anywhere from $10,000 to $25,000. Stream on property way less. Electricity from road: maybe $3000. From your own 6000 watt propane generator: $4000. Solar panels, batteries, inverter, charger, would be anywhere from $6000 to $60,000. Did all this on 40 acres in western PA 12 years ago, but sold it last November to buy in MDI. zarathu

Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 AM

3,093 posts, read 5,421,255 times
Foundations are $8,000-$12,000. Well and pump, $3500.-. Septic, depending on how close to the lake$10,000- $20,000.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:34 AM

I had to replace my entire well system on my property on MDI. This includes everything but drilling the well: new underground lines, new pump, new pressure tank, and the cost of that was $4700. Drilling a new well even if it was only 35 feet would have a base cost for the equipment of about $3000, and then $35 a foot to drill it. Putting in a new system including the well drilling can't be done for less than $8000 unless you are drilliing it yourself, you own your own backhoe or are going to rent it yourself---or your brother or good friend is doing the work for you.

A full foundation will cost $8000-12,000 if you need a basement and basement walls. For a camp, you only need a post and crawl space, and this you can do with a tractor based post hole digger. As long as you don't run into serious rock, I dug my own 10 inch post holes for about 300 bucks rental of the two person digger. You will then need sono-tubes and the ability to mix concrete for the tubes as well as the steel pin screws to go into the concrete.

I can't imagine getting a septic system in for $8000. I suppose this is possible but labor rates would have to be really cheap for this. On my property in Maine, where the rock base is only 12 feet down, we needed a full dual tank sysem, with pump and sand mound and 15 years ago this cost $17,000. Costs have doubled since then.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I had to replace my entire well system on my property on MDI. This includes everything but drilling the well: new underground lines, new pump, new pressure tank, and the cost of that was $4700. Drilling a new well even if it was only 35 feet would have a base cost for the equipment of about $3000, and then $35 a foot to drill it. Putting in a new system including the well drilling can't be done for less than $8000 unless you are drilliing it yourself, you own your own backhoe or are going to rent it yourself---or your brother or good friend is doing the work for you.

A full foundation will cost $8000-12,000 if you need a basement and basement walls. For a camp, you only need a post and crawl space, and this you can do with a tractor based post hole digger. As long as you don't run into serious rock, I dug my own 10 inch post holes for about 300 bucks rental of the two person digger. You will then need sono-tubes and the ability to mix concrete for the tubes as well as the steel pin screws to go into the concrete.

I can't imagine getting a septic system in for $8000. I suppose this is possible but labor rates would have to be really cheap for this. On my property in Maine, where the rock base is only 12 feet down, we needed a full dual tank sysem, with pump and sand mound and 15 years ago this cost $17,000. Costs have doubled since then.

I haven't had to have a well put in for 14 years. It was $3000 for the well and pump and pressure tank. Another $500 to wire it up.

I've had 2 septics put in one 19 years ago-$1500.- one last year at our camp $4500.-. Prices all depend upon where you live. MDI is an expensive area.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Regardless of where you live, prices have risen dramatically over the years. My house cost 50K 22 years ago. Even with the current recession, the house across the street sold for 4 times that 6 weeks ago. While MDI is an expensive area, my house there sold for $117 K in 1996 and I paid more than double that 11 years later.

Any price that anyone paid for something 10 years ago is going to pretty much double of what it was then regardless of where in the USA it is, and maybe more.

It is what it is. Better to be prepared for costs in excess of what you think that to be surprised by prices.

zarathu

Old 12-28-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Regardless of where you live, prices have risen dramatically over the years. My house cost 50K 22 years ago. Even with the current recession, the house across the street sold for 4 times that 6 weeks ago. While MDI is an expensive area, my house there sold for $117 K in 1996 and I paid more than double that 11 years later.

Any price that anyone paid for something 10 years ago is going to pretty much double of what it was then regardless of where in the USA it is, and maybe more.

It is what it is. Better to be prepared for costs in excess of what you think that to be surprised by prices.

zarathu

I don't disagree with what you paid on MDI. I do disagree with what you KNOW about all areas of Maine. Prices of soil work around Pushaw Lake can and will vary, depending on the town the work will be done in.

Orono will probably be more expensive than Glenburn or Hudson.

Yes, it is better to be fore warned of potentially high costs.

My examples of septic work were as recent as last year. The price I paid for septic was about half what I would have to pay in the Blue Hill area. (I didn't bother to tell the contractor that).

Old 12-28-2009, 11:34 AM

914 posts, read 1,843,848 times
Quote:
Putting in a new system including the well drilling can't be done for less than $8000 unless you are drilliing it yourself, you own your own backhoe or are going to rent it yourself---or your brother or good friend is doing the work for you.
Zarathu,
MDI prices and probably PA prices don't reflect Maine prices. I had a well drilled last summer. Price was $2500 plus $400 for the pump. For $2500 the well driller guaranteed 10 gpm. I checked with two different well drilling companies and both guaranteed water for $2500. That was how they quoted the job. Septic cost me $6000. It was standard design, no pumping required, good soil, etc.
I would plan on a design around a body of water to cost more because of drainage issues. A pump in the septic design will add $$$ quickly.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:57 PM

15 posts, read 35,172 times
Default Thanks you soooooo much for all your input!

Thanks you to everyone who has replied to me. I will shop around and do my homework. Happy New Year! To all!!

Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM

I kind of assumed that the person was putting in a NEW camp and had no water system at all.

If you don't have to go too deep, the prices that are listed here are most likely accurate for a well. People have not specified the initial costs, and the price per foot to dig. Drillers cannot guarantee you gpm unless they are clairvoyant. The start diggin in the ground and they know that eventually they will get water, but how deep they have to go for that varies from site to site, even in the same 10 acre plot.

However you have to include the additional costs beyond the well digging itself. MY MDI well had good water at 35 feet, and the previous owner put in a jet pump for that depth. But it developed coliform type bacteria-- not the death dealing ones but the stomach sickness ones. Whlle you can hit water at 35 feet, some people want to go a lot deeper to avoid the contamination issues. Luckily when the previous owner had the submersible pump go they simply extended the hose into 35 feet into the well(after pulling the dead submersible) and put a jet pump in the house. But the well itself was 200 feet deep into the granite. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for digging 200 feet through solid granite.

But the drilling of the well could be fairly cheap depending on where you live. You will need to hire a plumber for a new installation which will require a back-hoe to dig a line to the house way below the frost line, install the line, install the tank, and install lots of other stuff. You will also need to hire an electrician to connect anything electrical since plumber is not allowed to do that legally in Maine. I only had to run the line about 50 feet at 6 feet down, and then up into the basement. It took the plumbers a good three days of work time for two of them. Also they had to hire a back-how guy.

Be sure when you get a quote, that you get a quote for a complete system from water in the well to water coming out of your faucet--- this will include the well driller, the plumber, the back hoe guy, and the electrician. You will also have to have the water in the well shocked with bleach, and then tested for another $100 after the fact. And consider that a shallow well may not be good for your area despite the possibility. To avoid any possible contamination you will want to go deep enough to survive any droughts, as well as to service any possible contamination. If you can do all of that for $2500 including the installation, the back how guy, the plumber, and the electrician, and all the parts, I doubt whether your jobbers are making minimum wage, and they should move east in Maine or south to PA.

Septic is way more enlightened in Maine than PA. You have to get a soil sceintist to come out and determine what kind of system you need for the amount of people it can serve. From what I hear, s/he can do this for $100-$200. Then you just build it. But you need to remember that you've go the goldmine if you can put in a simple inground standard with a tank, and the back how guy digging 4 foot a 2 foot trenches and filling them with stones and then running pipes and covering them with dirt. Most of the land that you could do that with is now gone, and many municipalities have tightened up a lot what they will allow. If you find some very far out from civilization place, and I wouldn't call Orono a place like that, you might be able to bend things. Many places that accepted a straight system 30 years ago will only accept somekind of sand mound now. And in areas around waterways like the lake, believe me when I tell you that the Maine EPA will have their hands in it.

Check with the locals first about what things are costing and what regulating bodies have their noses in your business.

zarathu

Last edited by Zarathu; 12-28-2009 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine