U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:33 AM

36 posts, read 66,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I looked for a thread, but couldn't find one specific to what the summers are like in Maine.

Can you describe them?
Depends on weather you are in Northern or Southern Maine. In Aroostook County (Northern Maine) the Summers are usually a comfortable warm but they don't last very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 03:59 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,431,463 times
We don't usually have a "typical" summer as each seems to vary. One thing you won't get much of is temps 90 or over. I think last summer, which was a very cool one, we got a few days that it hit 85. Last summer never really go going until late July. June and July were wet and cool but that is not typical. May is my favorite month in May. Everything seems a thousand shades of green and usually has very comfortable temps. I remember a summer in the early 90s when we had 2 or 3 "heat" waves. We consider a heat wave here when temps get to 90 or better 3 days in a row. I prefer it stay in the low to mid 80s.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:11 PM

3,000 posts, read 2,282,434 times
Bliss

Old 01-14-2010, 04:16 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
Last year we had a freak day in May when it hit 90 and then it settled into a cool pattern until the end of July. The consensus here is that we don't have many typical summers. All of our seasons vary a lot. A few years ago we had what old timers call an "open winter". That's when you can walk anywhere without snowshoes all winter. The deer love it when that happens and most of us do too.

During deer season in 1983 I walked across the lake on the ice. I could see bubbles three inches down under the clear ice. It was safe. I have seen that same lake completely open on Christmas Day. Our weather can be extreme. The little secret is that it is often extreme. It's extremely nice or it's extremely bad. It makes us adaptable.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 PM

216 posts, read 541,986 times
No one has mentioned this but in my experience the hot, sweaty night (even if the day temperature gets up near 90) almost never happens.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM

3,094 posts, read 5,424,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV007 View Post
No one has mentioned this but in my experience the hot, sweaty night (even if the day temperature gets up near 90) almost never happens.

Maybe you should get out more. Some times they are fun.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM

53 posts, read 88,653 times
Default summers

Quote:
I looked for a thread, but couldn't find one specific to what the summers are like in Maine.

Can you describe them?
yes, they are about 2 days long and you are so traumatized by the winter it takes the whole 2 days to thaw out, and then it starts snowing again;-)

Old 01-14-2010, 05:51 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socialguide View Post
yes, they are about 2 days long and you are so traumatized by the winter it takes the whole 2 days to thaw out, and then it starts snowing again;-)
So far I have enjoyed them. Many 80+degree days (and nights) can stay in the southlands, where they belong. I'll take the challenge of short growing seasons, late and early frosts and even black flies over insufferable HEAT.

My description of Maine summers: cool and lovely, especially compared with coastal NC.

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-15-2010 at 05:06 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 09:32 PM

216 posts, read 541,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Maybe you should get out more. Some times they are fun.
Aha yea I know that part about of Maine summers. Got married in Bangor, honeymooned in Nova Scotia.
Even all that fun is better under a nice blanket than in 90 degree heat with 70% humidity at midnight.
Believe me. I've been in both. Maine Summer nights are great.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:43 PM

4,861 posts, read 3,519,770 times
Quote:
Thank you for all your very helpful replies. Sounds like I need to be looking into the Northern part of the state (do you really have to go that far to get away from the humidity?). Actually, I don't mind rain, fog, and gray skies in the summertime. And in the wintertime, I actually PREFER gray skies - "sunny" winter days get on my neves. I must have a dark side, I guess!
Yeah, the humidity in Maine is never TERRIBLE. Southern Maine does get into the "slightly high" range in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or