U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 PM

4,480 posts, read 7,940,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not many towns use speed traps either, because the cost of having a cruiser and a patrolman sitting with radar to give a citation, the money from which goes to Augusta to be parcelled out in drips and drabs is hard to justify.
Maine state police do speed traps at least one a week on I-95 in the Portland, ME area. I see them all the time. Usually 6 or 7 cruisers are all lined up on the on ramp to the highway so you cant see them. They only have to wait about 60 seconds for another speeder to go by, then the next cruiser turns his radar on and repeats.

Sometimes they have a white van on top of the bridge with radar, then further down the road the cruiser pulls you over. Another very efficient system.

Seems to me it would be pretty profitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 04:08 PM

92 posts, read 196,869 times
You're not seeing things. I've been experiencing the same issue north of Augusta on I95.

It appears each one of those Speed Limit warning signs for weather conditions are shooting out K band radar now. I have a Passport X50 and use SpecDisplay. I looked up the frequency online and it seems they use a common frequency.

I don't think this is for speed enforcement. I believe it's used to determine traffic pace and may be partially used to determine traffic jams and slowness due to inclement weather. Some of this data is probably used for 511maine.gov 's weather/traffic flow information .

I do suspect I will buy a 9500 eventually since it will lock these out thanks to the built in GPS.

I do not believe photocop is used anywhere in Maine. At most they have cameras if you blow through the toll booth. Ideally I hope it stays that way for many reasons. However, I also would love it if actual police were out watching people texting while driving, lane changing without signals, blowing through stop lights and signs, etc. Speed is really the least of the issues from what I've seen.

EDIT: By the way, 24.132ghz search on Google reveals that this is a common freq used for stationary cams on signage or online traffic cams. On the back of some of these signs I did see an actual camera looking device.

Last edited by droobie; 01-26-2010 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,936,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
I would have no idea. I suppose it is possible that there is some sort of "system" in use because if it could increase revenue to the state then it might be tried. On the other hand, I don't think there is a lot of excess cash in the state coffers to experiment with new law enforcement gizzies.

As far as radar traffic enforcement is concerned, radar detectors are worthless, especially now in the days of low power radar and instant on devices. If you get "painted" by radar and are over the limit you are dead meat: by the time you hit the brakes the trooper knows how fast you were going and his radar is of such a narrow beam, that the ONLY car that could be painted is the one he sees as he looks out the windshield.

Oh, I can hear all the nay sayers who will cite all the times that they have driven the length of Maine fifty miles per hour in excess of the speed limit without getting caught, all of which is hogwash: if you drive in excess of the speed limit and lean on a radar detector you are driving with you license hanging out the window. I spent a lot of time in the Air Force working with radar systems, and nobody's reflexes are faster than the speed of light.

the radars used by most lawenforcement are not even activated until the speeder is seen.. from the flick of a button to the speed registered is milliseconds.. All anyone would hear is a sudden blip on their radar detector.. now I know there are some polive officers who leave their radar on and drive around with it but really this is few and far between.. radar detectors are a waste of Money!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post

the radars used by most lawenforcement are not even activated until the speeder is seen.. from the flick of a button to the speed registered is milliseconds.. All anyone would hear is a sudden blip on their radar detector.. now I know there are some polive officers who leave their radar on and drive around with it but really this is few and far between.. radar detectors are a waste of Money!
May be true in your area, but I will tell you that most cops I've seen, especially in the small towns and even here in Bangor leave their guns running and are moving around (some are stopped and still leave it running constantly). State, County, local, doesn't seem to matter much. The cops sitting and waiting for someone with the trigger ready to go is few and far between (for reasons specified here such as no budget to make it worthwhile). The area I work (and drive) stretches from Greenville to Deer Isle area as well as East/West.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM

79 posts, read 104,708 times
Lots of opinions from folks who dont use radar detectors in 2010. Interesting.

I can tell you the Rt 95 radar triggers are new,incorperated in signs, and annoying.
I use radar daily and have a Passport in both cars. The new 9500 gps model will allow you to cancel the false alerts that are fixed after getting it 3 times in one gps position. Thats next for me.

I run about 73-74 in 95 but mainly have them for small towns and backroads. They tend to have a trap or 2 around the outskirts of town that go from 50 mph to 25 in a miles time and if your not paying close attn your cooked. They obtain their money in these areas regularly.
I can tell you the town police DO generally run with radar on around town and that the radar detectors of quality work well in this setting. As far as laser...got hit once in my life in Maine on 95 and didnt get stopped at 75. Its too much work for most officers when they can get the quota without the bother of a trigger by using the regular radar. Thats human nature for most luckily.

Mark <--not an ax murderer honest

Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,611,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMark View Post
Lots of opinions from folks who dont use radar detectors in 2010. Interesting.

I can tell you the Rt 95 radar triggers are new,incorperated in signs, and annoying.
I use radar daily and have a Passport in both cars. The new 9500 gps model will allow you to cancel the false alerts that are fixed after getting it 3 times in one gps position. Thats next for me.

I run about 73-74 in 95 but mainly have them for small towns and backroads. They tend to have a trap or 2 around the outskirts of town that go from 50 mph to 25 in a miles time and if your not paying close attn your cooked. They obtain their money in these areas regularly.
I can tell you the town police DO generally run with radar on around town and that the radar detectors of quality work well in this setting. As far as laser...got hit once in my life in Maine on 95 and didnt get stopped at 75. Its too much work for most officers when they can get the quota without the bother of a trigger by using the regular radar. Thats human nature for most luckily.

Mark <--not an ax murderer honest
Thanks for the information. I believe that the mounted radar units are on, mostly, all the time. I pick them up all over the country. The radar "guns" are point and shoot, but radar spreads enough so you just can't be first (although I've heard that there is a new system that will clock two cars at the same time).

Probably all the radar decoys are part of Maine's stimulus money.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Probably all the radar decoys are part of Maine's stimulus money.
I think you're right. We have giant LED light board signs every 10-15 miles up the interstate now too. It's say those are probably stimulus funds too. I haven't seen them lit up, even in the recent snow storms though.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
There is another cause of all those radar detector alerts. Even small towns these days have traffic sensors on their traffic lights. There is no point in stopping a line of traffic every couple of minutes to activate a green light at an intersection when there is nobody waiting for the green light. Those radar emitters travel quite a ways, even to roads a distance from the signal. Those traffic sensors are not measuring your speed; they just sense vehicle presence. The sensors prevent unnecessary stops and improve overall vehicle mileage.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There is another cause of all those radar detector alerts. Even small towns these days have traffic sensors on their traffic lights.
Might be true in some places but haven't seen Radar based ones here in the city, unless they're X Band.. Maybe I should re-enable my X-Band in my X50. I believe they're heat or motion sensing here in Bangor though. A great alternative to the OLD way of replacing pressure plates underground..

Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
Motion sensors are radar detectors. Go by a building with an automatic door opener or a yard light and my radar detector goes off. I have no idea what band they use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine