U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:53 PM

15 posts, read 35,972 times

Advertisements

So after almost four months of planning and interviewing, I have decided to Move to Maine in 2010.

I am a physican who basically trained in NYC and has been doing further training in Connecticut.

I am going to accept an offer at St Mary's health in Lewiston, Maine. I know it's not prefect but I like it and think it will be a good place to set myself up for the next three of four years atleast.

My Problem: housing.
So there is no way I am gonna buy or invest in a house till I spend a year getting to know the place enough.
I will be coming up there with someone who I plan to marry and looked at rentals. They are well priced (compared to NYC ofcourse!!), but really thought they were small.

Now I do know there are a lot of condos that a lot of people are trying to sell, but as house prices are falling it has gotten harder and I am counting on people who own these larger, well built condos, may be ready to rent them for a year to kinda help with their losses.

I wont be moving up till the end to July. I know this makes it hard as the housing market could change in the next six months.

I was hoping that if anyone knew of people who may be interested in renting their condos in the lewiston-auburn area in the next six months, to keep me in mind.

Being a physican, and my other half a nurse, I think we make a very reliable tenants. However there will be a ten year old cat involoved (sigh, not mine, buy apparently it comes with the wife package...what can I say).

So if anyone knows someone who may be interested, I did looks at a few condos from the outside and would love to try and make a connection.

Thanks everyone, you all have been great in guiding my to this decision to move up there.....

Oh and on a completely different topic...if you had to choose between a chevy Avalanche or a Honda Ridgeline....what would you pick.......as much as I am certain that it is the "offical state car"......I refuse to buy a subaru..don't ask why....lol

thanks all

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:12 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Welcome to Maine

Old 12-31-2009, 09:26 PM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,831,339 times
I can't help you with any of your questions but would like to congratulate you on your move to Maine.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:18 AM

63 posts, read 101,013 times
I've heard better things about the Ridgeline than the Avalanche, and two of my sister-in-laws are happy with their Ridgelines, so I'd go that way. Plus the secret compartment under the bed makes a great temporary cooler, and can store an unruly child in a pinch.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 AM

87 posts, read 190,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmikey View Post
So after almost four months of planning and interviewing, I have decided to Move to Maine in 2010.

I am a physican who basically trained in NYC and has been doing further training in Connecticut.

I am going to accept an offer at St Mary's health in Lewiston, Maine. I know it's not prefect but I like it and think it will be a good place to set myself up for the next three of four years atleast.

My Problem: housing.
So there is no way I am gonna buy or invest in a house till I spend a year getting to know the place enough.
I will be coming up there with someone who I plan to marry and looked at rentals. They are well priced (compared to NYC ofcourse!!), but really thought they were small.

Now I do know there are a lot of condos that a lot of people are trying to sell, but as house prices are falling it has gotten harder and I am counting on people who own these larger, well built condos, may be ready to rent them for a year to kinda help with their losses.

I wont be moving up till the end to July. I know this makes it hard as the housing market could change in the next six months.

I was hoping that if anyone knew of people who may be interested in renting their condos in the lewiston-auburn area in the next six months, to keep me in mind.

Being a physican, and my other half a nurse, I think we make a very reliable tenants. However there will be a ten year old cat involoved (sigh, not mine, buy apparently it comes with the wife package...what can I say).

So if anyone knows someone who may be interested, I did looks at a few condos from the outside and would love to try and make a connection.

Thanks everyone, you all have been great in guiding my to this decision to move up there.....

Oh and on a completely different topic...if you had to choose between a chevy Avalanche or a Honda Ridgeline....what would you pick.......as much as I am certain that it is the "offical state car"......I refuse to buy a subaru..don't ask why....lol

thanks all

Mike
Ridgeline for sure, much better ride and much more reliable. I just don't know why they are not that popular here. I guess for the money people are just buying suv's. They don't haul alot of weight, but have good tow capacity.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:04 PM

164 posts, read 210,321 times
Docmikey,

Congratulations on your decision to move to Maine. I am also a physician-transplant from the mid-atlantic. I am so glad to have made this move, and I'm sure you will find it the same experience. We have been welcomed here with such kindness; I really enjoy working here.
Best wishes in your career and your move.
S

Old 01-01-2010, 08:12 PM

566 posts, read 1,255,954 times
Have you asked at the hospital? Most hospitals will have information on rentals in the area for physicians.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:24 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
Buy the Avalanche. I know the Honda has a smoother ride, but I have had over 70,000 trouble free miles on my GMC crew cab and it's essentially the same vehicle as the Avalanche.

Doc says, "Now I do know there are a lot of condos that a lot of people are trying to sell, but as house prices are falling it has gotten harder and I am counting on people who own these larger, well built condos, may be ready to rent them for a year to kinda help with their losses."

Don't buy a condo. Yesterday new federal rules went into effect that make it very hard to sell condo. The condo association has to be approved for an FHA loan. Every single resident has to be paid up for a buyer to be able to purchase one of the units. In this economy just one delinquent resident can prevent any resident from selling.

You should be able to find a nice home to rent on or near a lake near Lewiston this summer.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:37 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,726,154 times
Good luck, docmikey.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:59 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Yesterday new federal rules went into effect that make it very hard to sell condo. The condo association has to be approved for an FHA loan. Every single resident has to be paid up for a buyer to be able to purchase one of the units. In this economy just one delinquent resident can prevent any resident from selling.
I bet my former boss in NC is VERY GLAD to have retired when he did, then. He specialized in condos, sold as second homes/retirement homes that were rented in the interim/investment properties.

There will be a lot of folks impacted by this rule and it is a VERY GOOD thing that you have brought this to folks attention!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or