Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:43 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,750 times

Advertisements

I am glad to pay a little more than mainstream supermarket prices for local meat, etc. My food budget is just for one, and I would rather spend money on good food than, well, almost anything!!!

I buy Caldwell Farms http://caldwellfarmsmaine.com meats from the local (Rockland) co-op, and it is always exceptional. It tastes like the meat I remember from childhood - maybe that's a f-a-a-a-a-r stretch, but really, it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Not sure if they would have anything available at this time of year, but here's a link to a farm in Syrmna that sells native beef.

Lilley Farms Natural Holstein Beef from Maine

To my taste buds there is a difference between Western beef which you get in most grocery stores and native beef. I prefer western beef myself. The price I saw on lilley farms web site was $2.40 per pound hung weight. I would imagine that would equate to over $4 per pound if you calculate the actual weight of meat that you get once it's cut and wrapped. Consider that it would be hamburg, all sorts of roasts as well as steak, it's not really a cheap source of meat, just an option for native beef that wasn't fed a bunch of hormones.
good post!!

hanging weight includes bone and fat/waste-so be careful of what looks to be a low price- get a breakdown, of exactly what you are going to getting and how much (how much burger, how much chuck steaks, round steaks,/roasts and better steaks- rib eyes, tenderloin and t-bone, porterhouse, and top butt (new york sirloin)

id recommend anyone thats thinking of buying half a critter to call herring bros. (out of guilford) or curtis custom meats(warren), or bisson's (topsham)
ask all the questions- they not only raise there own critters, they are professional butchers- they will tell you the breakdown, and costs

Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,474 times
NMLM, I have just stumbled upon this site, I would be interested in a purchase of frass fed beef next door to you. I am also in Northern Maine! You can send me info at wowfrog465@yahoo.com. Thanks

Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM

428 posts, read 553,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
All that said, my next door neighbor up the road raises beef. All his beef is half Holstein and half Black Angus.
Be sure to specify which half you want. I'd prefer the Black Angus half.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:25 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,315 times
HMMM Where to buy half a cow? Maybe at half a farm? [just kiddin]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: