U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:30 PM

4,747 posts, read 7,537,784 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm just getting to an age where I can't afford to make any more "big bloopers", you know what I mean?

If most people there are as nice as the folks on this board, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 AM

4,863 posts, read 3,519,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
The aspect that people who had never actually BEEN to Montana seemed to not be able to "get" was how much the population was spread out over the entire state. Like Maine, it's a large state with a low population. There are really no major metropolitan hubs with suburban outskirts like people are used to in other states. It takes a tremendous amount of driving through virtual "nothingness" to get from one populated area to another. It's great if you want to be secluded, but that is part of what bothered me about it. I just wasn't ready for quite that much "seclusion". Sounds like the affordable parts of Maine, farther north, are similar in that way.
You may be forgetting that the size of the states out west makes "big" states like Maine seem pretty puny in comparison. Aroostook IS the biggest county east of the Mississippi, but Fredericton (capital of New Brunswick) and Bangor (service center for the northern half of Maine) are both less than a 2 hours drive away. (And going the other direction, Quebec City is 3 hours away).
When my wife and i drove through parts of the west two years ago, the distances and barrenness were unlike anything one could ever find in Maine. I will never feel like "there's a whole lot of nothing in Maine" ever again!
Maine is just a lot of small towns and cities spread out across the state (except for the big woods of northwest Maine).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or