U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 8,692 times

Advertisements

Hi: My parents purchased a lot in "Black Horse Acres" in Rome Maine in the early 1980's and I have recently been told that the lots there are worthless now because there are no real roads to access the property. Does anyone have any information on this? I would greatly appreciate any input as I do not live in Maine. Thank You - GramPam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 02:00 PM

9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times
I bet that trees have been growing on that lot since the early 1980s and the lot has increased in value. Trees do that for a property over 30 years. Rome is in the Belgrade Lakes region and property there has value. None of it is worthless. It sounds like somebody wants your trees or the land; maybe both.

I recommend you have somebody look at the land and give you an evaluation of it.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,496 times
Hello Pam, My name is Uria Pelletier. I am from Rome. This answer is honest, as I have no interest in your property. All of the lots, which consisted of mostly half acre lots, were abandoned by there owners do to the promised road "University Drive" never being built. Now the town has aquired multiple lots for unpaid taxes. The trees are mostly white pine, some poplar, scattered oak. Nothing worth cutting, especially on a half acre lot. The last people down there cutting were shut down and fined by DEP, the land is made up of mostly bog, will not pass a soil test, not to mention if a camp was put there for recreational or hunting puposes they would have a difficult time considering many flatlanders own the half acre lots, and have posted them. You may be able to walk or travel 100-200 feet before crossing onto someone elses property. Whatever you decide makes no difference to me, the land, to anyone farmiliar with it, is useless. The town is selling the lots in closed auctions for anywhere from $200,$600, sounds silly, but it is true. If you have any questions feel free to contact the Rome town office at 397-4011

Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM

739 posts, read 815,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gram-pam View Post
Hi: My parents purchased a lot in "Black Horse Acres" in Rome Maine in the early 1980's and I have recently been told that the lots there are worthless now because there are no real roads to access the property. Does anyone have any information on this? I would greatly appreciate any input as I do not live in Maine. Thank You - GramPam
Look on the bright side....Rome wasn't condemned in a day either!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 PM

79 posts, read 104,671 times
The person who subdivided the land into small lots may be legally liable for the road...if he was actually granted a subdivision in order to split and sell the lots. Check with the town and their dealings with the origional landowner that split it up. The town should have had a provision that required a specific type/width,etc road that went with granting the split..if it was done right.
Not always that case but I am aware of a suit that was won in 09 from lots split in the 90's.
The origional agreement was upheld and they were brought to court and force to pay for the road.
Check with the town. In the case I am aware of the town had no intentions of enforcing the agreement and going after the origional owner until coaxed by an attorney.
Not sure if its the case there but check into it.
Mark

Old 05-13-2010, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,692 times
Default Black Horse Acres

Thank you to all who responded to my inquiry. The taxes are really not much and I think I will hold on to the land for a while longer. I appreciate everyone's input and I got a kick out of the reply that Rome was not condemned in a day either....hahaha

Old 08-02-2012, 03:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,594 times
Default Jason In Maine

Sorry first for the late reply. First of all, everything that Uria stated was true in my opinion. I live in Mercer and My Family owns mulitple pieces of land and houses in Rome. Everything stated after here is my opinion also. Second University Drive in the last 40 years is just another piece woods that hasn't been surveyed to even to tell where it is or done anything with. No one has made initial investment to bring it back due to the cost. The most for premium lots are valued $1000 and downwards so not worth the time either for a small lot. Most of the lots only state that on the deed to town maps. The deeds usually don't describe lot sizes, generally points of references to neighboring lots, and don't even mention the right of ways. I have spoke with other people about have they had surveyors come down it to tell where there lots are and the replies are I couldn't find a surveyor would do the job due to the nature of the situation. Last of all every town auction these lots come up for sale and bring the prices that were already said. If these were good investment why would so many people let the town have them year after year. If you want to message I have the maps of these properties I might be able to give more information of this lot or reply that you want to contact me I will try to message you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine