U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,262,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarurally View Post
Sweet. Thanks for all the advice.

Cob does not have all that great insulation properties, but there are ways to supplement that. I don't want to go into detail about that (unless somebody wants me too) since it would basically warrant starting another thread.

starwalker - You are awesome. If you do happen to cruise past that place, I'd love to hear about it.

It sounds like looking into a foreclosed home may be helpful, although I have not seen too many. (Most sites want you to sign up for a trial of some sort.) Finding a property with a little land, and something decent to live in for a year would be golden for me. With a working well/septic for at least a two bedroom home.

I will keep looking out for listings, and begin planning my trip to Maine to take a more detailed/serious look at properties. Maybe when I swing through some towns, I may find some friends to have a pint with!

Anyone on this forum work primarily from home? Just curious what you guys/gals do.
Ah yes...that would be quite off topic. Here's a link to Bangor Daily News :
Maine news, sports, obituaries, weather - Bangor Daily News

I tried to link you directly to the legal notices, but it wouldn't paste correctly, so if you search "Legal Notices" you should be able to get to some of the listings.

Of course, you have to scroll through all of the other legal notices because real estate is mixed in among them, but at least you won't have to sign up for some "trial" Typically, the weekend edition has more listings.

Good luck. I hope you can find what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,506 times
My fiance and I are looking to move to Maine sometime next year. Most likely around the [URL="http://www.city-data.com/city/Bangor-Maine.html"]Bangor[/URL]/[URL="http://www.city-data.com/city/Old-Town-Maine.html"]Old Town[/URL] area. How are the job prospects down there in the healthcare industry? I work from home but he works at a local hospital in environmental servies. Are the house prices pretty reasonable? What about apartments? Where we live now the cheapest they have re homes is about $200,000 and then the apartments are going for about $900-1200 a month for a 2 bedroom. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Bangor area actually has a really good Healthcare agency, Eastern Maine Healthcare systems, they are actually in an umbrella that connects alot of the hospitals in central to northern Maine, all medical record can be accessed for better patient care and same medical record numbers are used for better communication. It is one of the top employing businesses in the area if not the top employing business. And Eastern Maine Medical Center which is located in Bangor is one of the top small hospitals in the Country they are winning awards all the time. As far as the house market it isn't real cheap, the problem with Maine is the pay is less then the rest of the country but everything else is expensive. Renting is about the same 900-1200 as you listed above, but as far as houses you can get a really nice house for $200000-$230000. Houses run around 160-180

Old 01-09-2010, 04:03 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,286,680 times
A home deal closed yesterday in Lee. It's in the middle of town, has 1.6 acres, well, septic and a 4 bedroom home. The driveway is paved and there is a separate garage with 2 bedroom apartment above the garage. The property actually abuts the Lee Academy track out back. There is a level place for a garden behind the garage. Attic, cellar, shed, office. Are you ready for the sold price? $17,000.

Needs paint.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:19 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
A home deal closed yesterday in Lee. It's in the middle of town, has 1.6 acres, well, septic and a 4 bedroom home. The driveway is paved and there is a separate garage with 2 bedroom apartment above the garage. The property actually abuts the Lee Academy track out back. There is a level place for a garden behind the garage. Attic, cellar, shed, office. Are you ready for the sold price? $17,000.

Needs paint.
Wow

Old 01-10-2010, 09:38 AM

15 posts, read 24,622 times
Yeah, really WOW. Hopefully when i finally get out to Maine to look around, I can find a deal like this! Have some plans in the works for a good week or so driving around, looking/talking to folks that would be willing to talk etc..

Old 01-10-2010, 12:44 PM

4,861 posts, read 3,517,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxyh24 View Post
My fiance and I are looking to move to Maine sometime next year. Most likely around the Bangor/Old Town area. How are the job prospects down there in the healthcare industry? I work from home but he works at a local hospital in environmental servies. Are the house prices pretty reasonable? What about apartments? Where we live now the cheapest they have re homes is about $200,000 and then the apartments are going for about $900-1200 a month for a 2 bedroom. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Bangor area actually has a really good Healthcare agency, Eastern Maine Healthcare systems, they are actually in an umbrella that connects alot of the hospitals in central to northern Maine, all medical record can be accessed for better patient care and same medical record numbers are used for better communication. It is one of the top employing businesses in the area if not the top employing business. And Eastern Maine Medical Center which is located in Bangor is one of the top small hospitals in the Country they are winning awards all the time. As far as the house market it isn't real cheap, the problem with Maine is the pay is less then the rest of the country but everything else is expensive. Renting is about the same 900-1200 as you listed above, but as far as houses you can get a really nice house for $200000-$230000. Houses run around 160-180
You can get a nice house in the County for $100,000 or less, with land.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
... There are plenty of livable dwellings under $150K. Now if you want more than 1/3 acre, or want to be east into the shore areas of Hancock county or actually on Mount Desert Island, expect to pay about $100K more at least.
Wow, that is a lot higher than prices that we have been seeing.

Quote:
... Don't expect to find any nice houses for $17,000. Heck, that's less than the price of a good car; even a new trailer will cost you more than that, unless you are in a time warp and you bought it in 1960.

Zarathu
See post #33.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 PM

So what am I missing?

Zarathu - I do not care what your buddy lists on his website, it is of no insult to me.

It simply does not reflect what everyone else is seeing.

mensaguy - It does sound like the real estate market on MDI is not tracking with the market in most of Maine.

I have my own observations about the MLS which I have explained before, but when I do it seems to upset realtors who post here on CD.

So why? In your opinion does MDI act like it is outside of the rest of Maine?

Acadianlion - Cute joke and put-down.

But really what is it about MDI that I am missing. Is MDI truly double to quadruple the prices of the rest of Maine?

What gives here folks?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,694,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Needs paint.
Is that all?

Any idea why so cheap?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 AM

241 posts, read 331,353 times
God bless the differences! Yes, there are some folks here that can be snide and judgemental. You learn who they are, chuckle at em and don't take em seriously. Life is too short to get yer knickers in a twist over some curmudgeon's wierd sense of reality

The differences help keep realtors in business.

MDI seems to have prices like Cape Cod because it seems to offer a dream. The reality can be different. Some folks can afford the Dream, others cannot and move to an area more affordable to find a more affordable Dream.

In the end, you can ask a price for a house or piece of land, but that doesn't mean you will get it. The value is in the buyer's eyes.

For example a newly built house in a subdivision isn't worth spit to me. For me, a small camp, 3 season, complete with old camp smell on water is worth diamonds. Or for NMLM 1920's gold coins.
Only problem is, don't have diamonds or gold coins ATM, just a little bit of hardearned cash...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine