U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:59 AM

10,279 posts, read 10,386,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
..... mensaguy - It does sound like the real estate market on MDI is not tracking with the market in most of Maine.

I have my own observations about the MLS which I have explained before, but when I do it seems to upset realtors who post here on CD.

So why? In your opinion does MDI act like it is outside of the rest of Maine? .....
FB, it is simply my observation that MDI (and the entire peninsula down Rt. 3 from Trenton is a pocket of wealth in an otherwise poor area. I've heard comments that "real Maine starts well North of Portland," "you've got to go past Belfast to get Downeast," etc. Those comments usually say "(except for Bar Harbor)" meaning it is more like Southern Maine. I haven't seen anything to make me think these comments were wrong. I've noticed that real estate sales in small towns (of which Maine has many) are often handled more informally that in larger cities, causing MLS listing to perhaps be less than all inclusive. [This is just my opinion.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Acadia National Park, the rockefellers, martha stewart, etc.
There are probably a few other famous names that could be added to the list.

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-12-2010 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: orphaned content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 AM

1,808 posts, read 2,892,947 times
I just drove by the place that the op mentioned and took some pictures. It is a mile south from my family house right on route 7. It's about 3.5 miles from downtown Dover and about 6 from downtown Dexter.

There are a couple white signs on the doors. But no real estate for sale signs. The road is bad on route 7 but just down the road is Oliver Hill Rd to Corinth/Bangor. Pretty ride.

It looks like it's relatively flat in that area and has a nice woodlot behind it. It sits close to the road. Good in winter. Time Warner high speed internet for sure. A neighbor across the street has a very nice home with a haircutting business. The home on the same side of the street is very nice also. Here is a sign of another neighbor just down the road.

It is probably worth it for someone. It is the least expensive house for sale in Dover. The most expensive was $399k. You could buy 24 of the cheaper ones for the same price.

I love assignments. Starwalker....got your back.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,264,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I just drove by the place that the op mentioned and took some pictures. It is a mile south from my family house right on route 7. It's about 3.5 miles from downtown Dover and about 6 from downtown Dexter.

There are a couple white signs on the doors. But no real estate for sale signs. The road is bad on route 7 but just down the road is Oliver Hill Rd to Corinth/Bangor. Pretty ride.

It looks like it's relatively flat in that area and has a nice woodlot behind it. It sits close to the road. Good in winter. Time Warner high speed internet for sure. A neighbor across the street has a very nice home with a haircutting business. The home on the same side of the street is very nice also. Here is a sign of another neighbor just down the road.
It is probably worth it for someone. It is the least expensive house for sale in Dover. The most expensive was $399k. You could buy 24 of the cheaper ones for the same price.

Those pics look better than the website's. Maybe they ought to offer you a job.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,916,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post

<snip>

There was a realty sign there when we stopped, I thought... but maybe I just recognized it from the realtor photo and address...

Did you see my footprints going around back? (mine were the smaller of the two... some places "bigfoot" who preceded me, too steps that were much longer than I was willing to try.)

I had my GPS and got Lat and Long if anyone needs it...

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-12-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 05:09 PM

15 posts, read 24,637 times
So sweet. Wish I had the time to come out and take a better look at it, and possibly just snatch it up. I'm not rich, but if it was livable and really only $14000, I'd just straight buy it. (Even if just for the land to build on later.)

Guess I will need some luck when I get out to Maine to look around.

And potential High speed internet, GOLDEN for me!!!

Last edited by subarurally; 01-12-2010 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: internet

Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,916,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subarurally View Post
So sweet. Wish I had the time to come out and take a better look at it, and possibly just snatch it up. I'm not rich, but if it was livable and really only $14000, I'd just straight buy it. (Even if just for the land to build on later.)

Guess I will need some luck when I get out to Maine to look around.

And potential High speed internet, GOLDEN for me!!!
Do yourself a favor and before you make an offer, CALL Time Warner and give them the address to confirm service availability. They have to do it on a case-by-case basis... and I learned the hard way, it's not always where you might suspect to find it!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:36 PM

15 posts, read 24,637 times
Thanks for that heads up!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:04 PM

17,165 posts, read 22,182,489 times
if the house isnt listed by a broker, the burden is on you to gather as much info as possible - go to the town office, ask for the tax card, plot maps, whatever info they have- also ask about back taxes, and ask if the house is condemned- once a town or city condemns a place as uninhabitable - it has to be brought up to code to move in- if the place has been abandoned for quite some time-you'd want professional inspections, mold/septic/water damage, etc-water tests (well water) few hundred dollars for inspections can save you thousnds in the future
if you get the book and page numbers go to the registry of deeds and do some research

if it is a for sale by owner- again, the burden is on you to gather the info you need, be diligent

also, not a bad idea, to visit one of the neighbors and ask what they know about the place

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine