U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:35 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,136,966 times

Advertisements

PS The money still hurts. It's the disease I'm not worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 AM

243 posts, read 331,679 times
Hmm...ok. Had cedar mulch down. Maybe why I didn't have Blight issues as well as planting from seed. Still had problems with the wet and heavy loss of nutrients in the soil. Going to try some different things this year. Tomatoes main crop for us - not a nursery, just a nice, growing veggie garden.

Looking forward to setting up the seeds indoors! Will be growing some from seeds that I dried this year - Brandywine Heirlooms. However, probably won't be drying tomato seeds in the future. They are a freakin' pain. Plus don't know if they are viable. Will be finding out!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 AM

2,356 posts, read 4,937,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'm $10,000 worth of sure that this not true. I buy nothing from other greenhouses. 100% of my transplants are started here. Nurseries and big boxes didn't know the plants were infected until it was too late.
I live for tomatoes and grow every year.. however I am not green thumb so I had no idea what happened last year..

Just out of curiosity.. how much is $10k worth of tomatoes... growing wise.. acres, volume whatever..

My folks baught an old cow pasture that I would like to learn to grow food and maybe even sell a little to the farm stands..??

Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
Hmm...ok. Had cedar mulch down. Maybe why I didn't have Blight issues as well as planting from seed. Still had problems with the wet and heavy loss of nutrients in the soil. Going to try some different things this year. Tomatoes main crop for us - not a nursery, just a nice, growing veggie garden.
There's almost always late blight in the air. Normally it comes in after early blight, after plants have been productive for quite some time. Blight, btw, is not one specific disease. The fungus that caused so much damage last year is Phytophthora infestans. "Blight" is a catch all word used to describe more than one specific disease. Last year's weather was perfect for phytophthora infestans. Planting from seed meant you didn't buy diseased plants from a big box but it doesn't mean that's not what you had. It very well might have been. I didn't buy any plants. I sold thousands of seedlings last year (I'm licensed). Blight spores blow in on the wind. If your plants had blight the spores blew in on the wind or you transferred them from someone else's infected plants.

This is the early stage of late blight:

Look at the black on the stems and leaves. That's the damage caused by the blight fungus. A plant that looks like this one day could be a black slimy mess in less than a week. Once your plants are infected there's no confusing late blight for just too much rain. You can prune the plants, which is what I did to save enough for family use and a few hundred pounds for farmers market, but unless you use fungicides when it's starting you're most likely not going to save the plant. It can take over a tomato and turn it into goo while it sits on your sideboard. If you saved seeds from infected tomatoes last year you can use them this year. They aren't infected.

Quote:
Looking forward to setting up the seeds indoors! Will be growing some from seeds that I dried this year - Brandywine Heirlooms. However, probably won't be drying tomato seeds in the future. They are a freakin' pain. Plus don't know if they are viable. Will be finding out!
I bet they're ok! It's pretty hard to kill a tomato seed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I live for tomatoes and grow every year.. however I am not green thumb so I had no idea what happened last year..

Just out of curiosity.. how much is $10k worth of tomatoes... growing wise.. acres, volume whatever..
I have a head start. Tomatoes on the left, cucumbers on the right, beet greens on the ground. I have to make the most of every inch because I do this for a living. This was taken in 2008.

I'm picking tomatoes three weeks after everyone else here has put their 6 week old seedlings in the ground. I get a premium price. Customers don't blink twice at $5 a pound for truly ripe (not gassed to pink) tomatoes in June. This tunnel holds 200 tomato plants that produce at least 20 pounds of tomatoes per plant. The rest of the plants are outside. Only a cherry called Juliette and a roma did ok for me outside.

Quote:
My folks baught an old cow pasture that I would like to learn to grow food and maybe even sell a little to the farm stands..??
I'd start with soil tests, find out what it needs, turn it under and give it a try. A lot of vegetables go into the ground as seeds so it doesn't have to be expensive. I started out by selling extras on a table at the end of my driveway. If you grow it, they will come, especially if you have tomatoes.

I'm going to shamelessly slide this in. This is me.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:13 PM

783 posts, read 1,302,203 times
Smile those that grow 'em/things that grow on 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'm going to shamelessly slide this in. This is me.
Great fungal facts - thank you. And, by the way, you are my heroine...and at the risk of becoming an orphan post (), I'll still say thanks for your shamelessness - nice bio!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Thanks! It's nice to get paid to do what you love. Maine has fantastic food.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:32 PM

444 posts, read 973,081 times
What a neat article/story. Sounds like a good plot for one of those reality shows on TV.
I think a picture of Maine Writer standing among those gigantic tomato plants would be a keeper.
I plant only about 10-12 plants a year for family use and have always had good luck in this area of Wis. I was always told not to plant them in the same spot as the previous year. So far, so good.
We have a local green house that grows hydroponic tomatoes through out the winter and they supply the local grocery stores. They taste pretty good but nothing beats your own freshly picked garden tomatoes.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:07 AM

2,712 posts, read 4,916,831 times
"Only two things that money can't buy and that's true love and home grown tomatoes."

----John Denver

Old 01-08-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
"Only two things that money can't buy and that's true love and home grown tomatoes."

----John Denver
I agree.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 AM

2,712 posts, read 4,916,831 times
Lala Song Player - Home Grown Tomatoes by John Denver John singin' it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine