U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,973 times

Advertisements

Information needed from the wise folks here.. After the tomato blight last year, how do I prep this years garden ? The only advice I've gotten so far involved a blowtorch [?].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 AM

2,712 posts, read 4,920,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420revarie View Post
Information needed from the wise folks here.. After the tomato blight last year, how do I prep this years garden ? The only advice I've gotten so far involved a blowtorch [?].
What I had heard was to plant varieties with more resistance...

Old 01-06-2010, 01:20 PM

5,972 posts, read 11,146,167 times
Skip the blow torch. There isn't any way to treat the soil for blight. Clean your cages or stakes very well. If you use wooden stakes they can sit in a 10% bleach water solution. If you have a container large enough to soak your cages, do so. Make sure there isn't a smidge of plant left on cages or stakes. The spores over winter in plant material. Any plant material turned into the soil last year shouldn't be a big thread for this year. It should decompose.

Make sure your plants have good air circulation this year. If you planted potatoes last year don't plant your tomatoes in that area this year.

I lost $10,000 worth of tomatoes to late blight last year. I'm not concerned about it this year. Late blights happens - hopefully on time this year and not before early blights.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:36 PM

245 posts, read 332,426 times
Think that nursuries were the hardest hit by the Blight. Folks growing strictly from seed didn't seem to have as much of a problem. Didn't have problem with blight but did with it being way too wet. Folks were confusing the two. Plus we need to put more phosphorous in the soil. It being so rainy last year, rinsed alot of the good nutrients out of the soil.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:03 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,920,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
Think that nursuries were the hardest hit by the Blight. Folks growing strictly from seed didn't seem to have as much of a problem. Didn't have problem with blight but did with it being way too wet. Folks were confusing the two. Plus we need to put more phosphorous in the soil. It being so rainy last year, rinsed alot of the good nutrients out of the soil.

well I know MaineWriter grows all her own from seed, as do I. For me it was a combination of conditions...

Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
I'm $10,000 worth of sure that this not true. I buy nothing from other greenhouses. 100% of my transplants are started here. Nurseries and big boxes didn't know the plants were infected until it was too late.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:04 PM

29,749 posts, read 47,567,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
... I lost $10,000 worth of tomatoes to late blight last year. I'm not concerned about it this year.
You are my hero.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:53 PM

474 posts, read 657,796 times
I have found that putting down a layer of cedar mulch under the plants and keeping the bottom branches pruned so none touch the ground has reduced my disease problems. Apparently this helps keep the soil from splashing up on the leaves.

john

Old 01-06-2010, 04:11 PM

3,104 posts, read 5,436,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You are my hero.

Forest, you've met them They are filthy stinkin rich....

Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiles400 View Post
I have found that putting down a layer of cedar mulch under the plants and keeping the bottom branches pruned so none touch the ground has reduced my disease problems. Apparently this helps keep the soil from splashing up on the leaves.

john
That's correct. Straw, IRT and other mulches work the same way. It won't stop airborne organisms from landing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Forest, you've met them They are filthy stinkin rich....
Isn't everyone in WaCo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine