U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:38 PM

4,862 posts, read 3,519,770 times

Advertisements

OKay, after reading GF's post about rural Maine home prices, I am finally going to have to set people straight once and for all lol.............here we go:
There are a lot of nice little towns in northern Maine that are "economically distressed", sure enough. Some are worse off than others. The key is this: IF you enjoy small town life, and IF you can find a decent job within a reasonable driving distance (or are retired), you can easily get some AMAZING buys on homes in these towns. I've done it myself, as have some of my siblings. And I've been inside many others. Some are older, some are not so old. But take Danforth: it is a cute little town in a great location, near some awesome lakes, New Brunswick, etc. It's about 40 minutes to Houlton. And you can get a run-down house there (that can be restored to its former glory) for around $30,000. That's right! You can get a pretty NICE house that can be made even nicer for $50,000-60,000. And you could get a REALLY nice house for less than $100,000. Almost any home in northern Maine has quite a bit of property, even in town. That's because there is lots of room and not that many people. This would be unheard of in many parts of Maine, where it's more crowded.
I'm talking about the really small towns that are struggling. Prices are a bit higher in the bigger towns (Houlton, Caribou, and Presque Isle), but are still much cheaper than the rest of Maine.
(Prices in Fort Kent, Madawaska, Fort Fairfield and smaller towns that are doing okay---like Mars Hill or Easton---will be a little lower than the bigger towns, but not as cheap as the smaller ones that are struggling.)
I always thought Danforth was an interesting little town. (It has one of the most beautiful old town halls in Maine www.danforthmaine.org/photohtml (http://www.danforthmaine.org/photohtml - broken link) ). I live in Caribou and it is a great town----very friendly, safe, and community-minded. The other town I could easily live in is Houlton.
(By the way, Fred Dobbs will be a great person to listen to. He really cares and knows his stuff).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 AM

2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
And there are many others that are for sale but not listed with a broker... like the home on 4 acres we bought a couple of years ago -- and many others we looked at in the process.

Of course that doesn't help folks who are not here yet, but does put another straw on the side of the balance in favor of the "find a place to rent and spent time on the ground here, hunting."

Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,383,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacyman View Post
..... we are looking in the 60,000. range and the number of sex offenders is a deciding factor. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Sixty-thousand WHAT? People? Trees? Black flies? .....
Maybe that means 60,000 sex offenders.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
Most of the houses I saw in the 30K range needed a fire.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:47 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,665,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
And there are many others that are for sale but not listed with a broker... like the home on 4 acres we bought a couple of years ago -- and many others we looked at in the process."
I tried to sell my property in Western PA without a broker. Most people wouldn't touch me with a 10 foot pole because they figured I'd screw them in some way without a broker present. The others expected that without a broker's 6% involved it meant that I would sell it for a discount of about 50% less than the asking price. I would still have had to pay my attorney to structure the circumstance.

Unfortunately, even though I tried to do it myself as a seller(finally gave up and got a broker), I harbor exactly the same attitudes as the people who were interested in purchasing from me. Go figure!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 PM

23 posts, read 35,229 times
Default thank you for all of your responses

I CANNOT APOLOGIZE ENOUGH FOR NOT RESPONDING TO ALL OF YOU THAT TOOK THE TIME TO REPLY TO MY POST. TRUTH IS I AM NOT VERY COMPUTER LITERATE. I HAVE BEEN BOUNCING ALL OVER THE PLACE TO TRY TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET BACK TO THE FORUM TO SEE IF ANYONE REPLIED. SO LET ME START BY SAYING....

THE 60,000 IS $60,000.
AFTER BEING ON THIS COMPUTER FOR 2 WEEKS STRAIGHT DAY AND NIGHT I REALLY SEEM TO BE DRAWN TO NORTHERN MAINE. I LKIKE MIDDLE MAINE TOO.
I FIGURED OUT WHO YOU ARE "MLNM" ..... SECRET SAFE WITH ME, ALTHOUGH I AM SURE EVERYONE KNOWS WHO YOU ARE.
I DO REALIZE THAT THERE IS CRIME ALL OVER THE USA....WAY TOO MUCH OF IT, HOWEVER I DO HAVE A GOOD REASON FOR ASKING AND BEING CONCERNED.
MY DAUGHTER WILL PROBABLY WORK IN THE AREA WE MOVE TO MOVE WE HAVE THOUGHT SERIOUSLY OF WORKING FROM HOME AS WE BOTH MAKE JEWERLY....NOT THE BEVERLY HILLS TYPE OF JEWELRY.
I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS LIKE METAL OR SHINGLE ROOF. CTY WATER OR WELL WATER. WHERE ARE THE FLOOD ZONES. CAN I HAVE A GENERATER ON MY PROPERTY FOR THOSE HARD TIMES IN WINTER....ETC....

AND MOST IMPORTANT....SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO FIND THAT PAGE THAT I JUST FOUND ON ACCIDENT TO BE ABLE TO WRITE AND CONVERSE WITH EVERY BODY.... I TOLD YOU....A COMPUTER DUMMY

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR FALL OF YOUR HELP

Old 01-13-2010, 06:47 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
... I FIGURED OUT WHO YOU ARE "MLNM" ..... SECRET SAFE WITH ME, ALTHOUGH I AM SURE EVERYONE KNOWS WHO YOU ARE.
NMLM is a great guy. He came by here and checked on us when we were having problems with the river height, and later he came by and dug a trench for us.

Quote:
... I DO REALIZE THAT THERE IS CRIME ALL OVER THE USA .... WAY TOO MUCH OF IT, HOWEVER I DO HAVE A GOOD REASON FOR ASKING AND BEING CONCERNED.
MY DAUGHTER WILL PROBABLY WORK IN THE AREA WE MOVE TO MOVE WE HAVE THOUGHT SERIOUSLY OF WORKING FROM HOME AS WE BOTH MAKE JEWERLY .... NOT THE BEVERLY HILLS TYPE OF JEWELRY.
I know a lady and her daughter here who make and market jewelry too.

Quote:
... CAN I HAVE A GENERATER ON MY PROPERTY FOR THOSE HARD TIMES IN WINTER ....
Yes you can have a generator.

But really winter or summer the power goes out whenever the power goes out. It is no worse summer or winter.

Welcome back.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Default thank you thank you thank you all...

hey....i found my way back....maybe there is hope for me afterall. lol
so there is really just power outages like everywhere else. that's good to know.
and MLMN (i think i got the initials wrong. oops) is a very nice person. he was the very first person to talk tome on the forum and had good advise and a good sence of humor too.
please keep the advise and friendship coming...it sure is making all these hours on this computer worth it.

so....how about it...any other cities i should look at and where are those flood zones. i am calling 2 realtors tomorrow about some properties so any more advise would be greatly appreciated

thank you all

Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 PM

NMLM got it....

Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
hey....i found my way back....maybe there is hope for me afterall. lol
so there is really just power outages like everywhere else. that's good to know.
and MLMN (i think i got the initials wrong. oops) is a very nice person. he was the very first person to talk tome on the forum and had good advise and a good sence of humor too.
please keep the advise and friendship coming...it sure is making all these hours on this computer worth it.

so....how about it...any other cities i should look at and where are those flood zones. i am calling 2 realtors tomorrow about some properties so any more advise would be greatly appreciated

thank you all
NMLM is a realtor.

One of the best in the state.

Take his advice and let him show you Lincoln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine