U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:14 AM

471 posts, read 601,067 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,
We've visited Maine 2x so far, and will make at least one more visit this coming mid-February to get a sense of the colder time of year. (we're from California)
One area that we are zeroing-in on is the Mid-Coast peninsulas. Maybe around St George, Friendship, or the Pemaquid areas.
Would you be able to offer any insight as to the pros and cons of living on a peninsula, and also those areas in-particular. Possibly how they might compare in relation to a bit of a more inland location as far as weather, services, etc. I read something about property taxes being lower in one of those areas due to some sort of endowment, which we don't quite understand. Any other items that may relate specifically?
This forum is certainly a treasure! Thanks again for all of your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 AM

9,481 posts, read 14,283,094 times
Peninsula towns are busy in the summer with lots of people from away here to enjoy their cottages. They are very quiet in winter. Somebody posted a short video of a coastal town in winter. You should view that short video several times before considering such a purchase. The word "bleak" defines it well.

Maine has lots of towns that have strong senses of community and are busy year round.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:58 PM

29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
... Would you be able to offer any insight as to the pros and cons of living on a peninsula, and also those areas in-particular. Possibly how they might compare in relation to a bit of a more inland location as far as weather, services, etc. ...
Inland tends to get cooler.

In my area we could not possibly grow peaches for example.

However the coastal peninsulas are more influenced by coastal weather patterns: more fog, less lower temps.

I am familiar with a farmer on one of the peninsulas that makes a living growing peaches.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:07 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,694,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
Hey Everyone,
We've visited Maine 2x so far, and will make at least one more visit this coming mid-February to get a sense of the colder time of year. (we're from California)
One area that we are zeroing-in on is the Mid-Coast peninsulas. Maybe around St George, Friendship, or the Pemaquid areas.
Would you be able to offer any insight as to the pros and cons of living on a peninsula, and also those areas in-particular. Possibly how they might compare in relation to a bit of a more inland location as far as weather, services, etc. I read something about property taxes being lower in one of those areas due to some sort of endowment, which we don't quite understand. Any other items that may relate specifically?
This forum is certainly a treasure! Thanks again for all of your insight.
I've heard that Peninsulas might be among the last areas to get utilities turned back on in times of outages.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,421,255 times
I live on one of those peninsulas, although not one of the ones mentioned. They do have lots of summer people. Not many people in the winter. The ones mentioed aren't all that far away from population centers, so the availability of the larger stores is there.
I suppose they could be considered bleak in the winter, but no more so than say Costigan.
The power can go out in the winterand sometimes does. The power gets put back on where there are more people first. It is not an issue. The power doesn't go out that often.
All of the areas that were in the op are quite nice areas. Never have heard of the tax thingy. You would have to check the mil rates for each of those towns to see if you like the possible expense.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Inland tends to get cooler.

In my area we could not possibly grow peaches for example.

However the coastal peninsulas are more influenced by coastal weather patterns: more fog, less lower temps.

I am familiar with a farmer on one of the peninsulas that makes a living growing peaches.
Wow! Peaches!
My wife will be excited to hear about that! I don't think she thought that would be possible there. Thanks for the news!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I live on one of those peninsulas, although not one of the ones mentioned. They do have lots of summer people. Not many people in the winter. The ones mentioed aren't all that far away from population centers, so the availability of the larger stores is there.
I suppose they could be considered bleak in the winter, but no more so than say Costigan.
The power can go out in the winterand sometimes does. The power gets put back on where there are more people first. It is not an issue. The power doesn't go out that often.
All of the areas that were in the op are quite nice areas. Never have heard of the tax thingy. You would have to check the mil rates for each of those towns to see if you like the possible expense.
Thanks for the note on the power thing. I'm pretty sure we'd install a back-up generator just to keep on the safe side.

May I inquire as to what you would describe 'bleak' as? I'm guessing it would be in reference to a lot of grey and cold. Any other thoughts on what constitutes 'bleak', and why in particular on one of the peninsulas? Thanks!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:41 PM

9,481 posts, read 14,283,094 times
I would describe "bleak" as numerous unoccupied houses, closed stores, closed restaurants, few visitors and a raw wind off the Atlantic. You can be warm by the fire with a good book and a cup of tea, but it sure will be bleak outside on the peninsulas.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:08 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,421,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I would describe "bleak" as numerous unoccupied houses, closed stores, closed restaurants, few visitors and a raw wind off the Atlantic. You can be warm by the fire with a good book and a cup of tea, but it sure will be bleak outside on the peninsulas.

I'll agree with your weather assessment, But it is no worse outside on the coast than outside in Alton, or Lee, or Rangley,Topsfield... These areas aren't exactly hotspots either.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:51 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
all nice areas- st george, tenants harbor, port clyde, owls head, thomaston- all areas id consider living

pemaquid area would be my first choice- love the south bristol-damariscotta-pemaquid, new harbor area
(boothbay harbor, also)

many coastal towns are busy in the summer-alot happening, and quiet in the winter-

if you have a boat and like to fish- you'd be in heaven- boat rides and ocean fishing are awesome!!

there's a hospital in damariscotta (not far from pemaquid )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine