U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 AM

444 posts, read 973,267 times

Advertisements

Was looking on net to find ideas to build a cupola for my detached garage and ran across Eagle Weathervane : Rooster Weather Vane : Weather Vanes : Wind Vane : Barharborweathervanes.com : Horse Weathervane : Cupolas. Nice to see a real "made in Maine" product. Looks like they have a good selection.

Anybody have cupola's on their barn/garage? I made one for my house garage a few years ago. It really adds that extra touch to a structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 06:13 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,358,321 times
I have always wanted to add one to my home SF, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 AM

10,282 posts, read 10,388,952 times
We've driven past one of this company's locations and always thought their products look nice.

Weathervanes, Cupolas, Finials, Copper Weathervane and Cupola Products from Weathervanes of Maine, Inc.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:05 AM

738 posts, read 1,613,816 times
My mom and dad had a cupola and weathervane added to their garage when they had new siding and doors installed. Not sure if they got it from weathervanes of Maine or not but they aren't far from Searsport so possibly. I think it adds a lot to the property and looks very nice.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:15 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,051,641 times
Yeah I do. My house is in the shape of a T and the intersection of the rooflines were off by a foot. To hide it I simply added a cupola. I later made the standing seem copper roof out of a couple of sheets of copper and soldered them together.

For the weathervane I made it out of aluminum I had kicking around. Surprisingly the "bearing" the weathervane pointer sits on is the old traditional kind...a marble. It is true. A marble allows the vane to pivot freely and never ices up or anything. It has been on my roof for 5 years and is maintenance free and points in the right direction in the slightest of breeze.

My wife and I could not decide what to decorate the vane with, so it is plain right now. But since I have a sheep farm now, at some point I have to make a cut out of a sheep out of aluminum, balance it and mount it to the vane to complete the mission.

The point here is, if this dumb sheep farmer can make his own cupola, coppered roof and weathervane, any one can. Buying one is expensive, building your on has a merit unto it's own.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:20 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,051,641 times
Here is a picture. I have adjusted the vane as I thought it was too tall and out of proportion. So the vane height has been shortened some, and the wind direction (NESW) has been lifted up by a few inches. The curved trim around the cedar shingles has also been painted white, but other then that, this simple cupola is what I made. It is rather simple I know, but was really cheap to build and does dress up the house a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Made in Maine - USA-cupola-side-view.jpg  

Old 01-15-2010, 04:44 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,938,703 times
My dads new house has one over the garage with a copper top.. very neat looking. Dont know a whole heck of a lot about construction but I found myself on top of the roof a few months back due to some mild leaking.. Unsure if it was because of wind blow rain or something else.. but I was suprised that they build them into the garage.. like you can look up and see inside it.. rather than just on top of the roof.. which would avoid any leaking issues..

Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 PM

444 posts, read 973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
My dads new house has one over the garage with a copper top.. very neat looking. Dont know a whole heck of a lot about construction but I found myself on top of the roof a few months back due to some mild leaking.. Unsure if it was because of wind blow rain or something else.. but I was suprised that they build them into the garage.. like you can look up and see inside it.. rather than just on top of the roof.. which would avoid any leaking issues..
That is a real working functional cupola. It aids in ventilating the attic portion. On my garage it is just sitting on ridge for appearance. No cut-out.
As was mentioned they can get to be pretty expensive but making one yourself is fairly easy and inexpensive. I went down to local home improvement store and scoped one out, took measurements, etc., went home and built one myself. Didn't use copper roof though, used same shingle type as on my garage roof. Got a generic weather vane on top. Think I'll try and fabricate my own though like BrokenTap did.

This past Christmas I tied a 4' lighted Santa Claus to the cupola. This spring I think I will put a light inside the cupola, maybe a red one. Right now I do have a small solar lite attached to it but having one inside I think will have a better effect. I also have a solar light attached to the top of my rural mail box post. Just one of those small cylindrical garden type ($2.99). Some people put reflectors on there posts, heck, I put solar lites on mine..

Old 01-16-2010, 06:01 AM

783 posts, read 1,302,562 times
Smile nice...

BrokenTap, that's a nice cupola! A fine sheep weathervane will be a great addition someday.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:07 AM

783 posts, read 1,302,562 times
Default maine cupola

This little, functional cupola and rooster weathervane is on a barn in Spruce Head, ME where I lived in an attic apartment for a year. It really "completed" the barn. I'm not sure where the vane was made. I miss looking out on it. Made in Maine - USA-dscn0716_582.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or