U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,125 times

Advertisements

Hi:

There is a chance that I might be moving to the Farmington area and I have a few questions (btw: as someone who has looked at a lot of this forums from many different states, you all are the most informative and nicest out of the bunch--thanks!)

1)What are the public grammar schools (kin-8th grad) like? Good motivated teachers? Strong academic records? Safe? Which ones (and I am willing to look within a 25 mile radius of Farmington) do you suggest I look at?

2)What is child care like? (If I do move, I would have a one year old and a four year old). How much on average would it cost per month? Do you have any names of ones you particularly like (or do not like)?

3)What community events/clubs family friendly things do you all do? I know that there is a lot of hiking and skiing but I am more interested in community-gathering events, please.

That's it for now--thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,862 times
I love Maine and have been vacationing there since 1972. Farmington is the only town where I encountered unfriendly people. Other towns in the area, such as Rumford and Bethel seem to be very welcoming to folks from "away". I plan to retire in Maine very soon. There are so many great towns with friendly people. I took Farmington off my list.

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-17-2010 at 04:29 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 06:05 PM

42 posts, read 37,886 times
To the previous poster...just wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what, exactly, "unfriendly" behavior you experienced in Farmington? We're thinking of relocating there as well.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,862 times
Hi lovemaine - I'm new to the forum and don't want to break any rules but I certainly understand you wanting some specifics. My Farmington visits had been great (vacations) until my last trip, Nov. 09. The difference? I was travelling with a well known local realtor and looking to buy a home. Some excellent advice that has been posted by senior forum members suggested talking with locals, businesses, etc. to get a feel for the place and also find bargains the realtors may not be aware of.

This is where I seemed to have opened Pandora's Box. In one business I was told "we don't want you here". Ok, no big deal. Every town has a "character". Then I found out the woman saying this owns the place! Other employees and customers just glared at us. Heck of a way to run a business.

Another stop was made at a downtown store where I have shopped many times. My wife was not allowed to use the restroom. A lovely lady in a corner coffee shop explained it like this: Before- we were tourists. Now- TRANSPLANTS!

In all fairness to Farmington, I know they have had problems with outsiders in the past. I was told that a few years back some doomsday group wanted to take over the town. And I learned that "wind farm" developers had been prowling around town recently. Well, we're not wind barons or doomsdayers. Just quiet, laid back folks, recently retired with a small animal rescue operation.

I mentioned Rumford, Bethel, (and forgot Skowhegan) in my previous post. House hunting in these towns was a pleasure and folks were most gracious and friendly. A town has to have some new blood (taxes) once in awhile to prosper. And I will be the first to say that folks should do whatever it takes to prevent explosive growth as that will ruin a town very quickly.

I have no idea what may be going on behind the scenes in Farmington and I won't bash the town but potential transplants need to be cautious. As stated to cownowski in my initial reply, I have travelled Maine for over thirty years, mountains, lakes, and coast. The above incident was the only time/place that I encountered rudeness or poor hospitality.

That's what is so great about Maine. It takes thirty years to find someone rude! I love Maine too.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:13 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9SRUS View Post
Hi lovemaine - I'm new to the forum and don't want to break any rules but I certainly understand you wanting some specifics. My Farmington visits had been great (vacations) until my last trip, Nov. 09. The difference? I was travelling with a well known local realtor and looking to buy a home. Some excellent advice that has been posted by senior forum members suggested talking with locals, businesses, etc. to get a feel for the place and also find bargains the realtors may not be aware of.

This is where I seemed to have opened Pandora's Box. In one business I was told "we don't want you here". Ok, no big deal. Every town has a "character". Then I found out the woman saying this owns the place! Other employees and customers just glared at us. Heck of a way to run a business.

Another stop was made at a downtown store where I have shopped many times. My wife was not allowed to use the restroom. A lovely lady in a corner coffee shop explained it like this: Before- we were tourists. Now- TRANSPLANTS!

In all fairness to Farmington, I know they have had problems with outsiders in the past. I was told that a few years back some doomsday group wanted to take over the town. And I learned that "wind farm" developers had been prowling around town recently. Well, we're not wind barons or doomsdayers. Just quiet, laid back folks, recently retired with a small animal rescue operation.

I mentioned Rumford, Bethel, (and forgot Skowhegan) in my previous post. House hunting in these towns was a pleasure and folks were most gracious and friendly. A town has to have some new blood (taxes) once in awhile to prosper. And I will be the first to say that folks should do whatever it takes to prevent explosive growth as that will ruin a town very quickly.

I have no idea what may be going on behind the scenes in Farmington and I won't bash the town but potential transplants need to be cautious. As stated to cownowski in my initial reply, I have travelled Maine for over thirty years, mountains, lakes, and coast. The above incident was the only time/place that I encountered rudeness or poor hospitality.

That's what is so great about Maine. It takes thirty years to find someone rude! I love Maine too.
Your post made me curious, so I checked the statistics for the town.

The most glaring fact was a seeming disconnect between average property value and household income.

Along with that, was the stat that home value nearly doubled in the past two years.

This might suggest that people from outside the town have been purchasing houses in the town in the last few years, which could explain how housing prices have doubled there.

This rise in home values might also have caused a rise in property taxes, to the point that it may have become a hardship for many original town residents.

That might explain why they are resentful of outsiders who want to buy homes and move to their town.

Another interesting stat was the very high ratio of female to male residents of Farmington. What's up with that, I wonder?

And for what it's worth, I also noticed that the percentage of residents who are institutionalized is above state average.

And also for what it's worth, I didn't see crime stats for Farmington on City Data.

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-19-2010 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: sorry but competitor sites not allowed here. thanks.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:56 AM

3,095 posts, read 5,424,551 times
Farmington is a small college town. It used to be a teachers college. That may 'skew' some of those statistics you are fond of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine