U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:50 PM

858 posts, read 1,526,903 times

Advertisements

We found our rental on CyberRentals, weekly will be costly, but long term might be negotiable.

Last edited by bgrasser; 01-15-2010 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 AM

783 posts, read 1,301,527 times
Default ME vacation rental recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel22 View Post
I have not found any affordable summer rentals. If I could find something that would not cost more than a year's mortgage payments, I would be very interested. Can you steer me in the right direction, please?
I did "turn around" cottage cleaning for this local vacation rental place (see link) a couple of summers ago. I was impressed by their attention to detail, and they were wonderful to work with. The vacation rentals I was involved with were well-found and, she says shamelessly, very clean! I hope it's ok to post this link; I'm not advertising, just recommending a local source !

On the Water in Maine - Vacation Homes Among the Lakes and on the Coast of Maine

Old 01-16-2010, 07:59 PM

76 posts, read 188,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
I did "turn around" cottage cleaning for this local vacation rental place (see link) a couple of summers ago. I was impressed by their attention to detail, and they were wonderful to work with. The vacation rentals I was involved with were well-found and, she says shamelessly, very clean! I hope it's ok to post this link; I'm not advertising, just recommending a local source !

On the Water in Maine - Vacation Homes Among the Lakes and on the Coast of Maine
Wow, all of those properties are beautiful, but bigger than we need and more costly than we want to spend. I think that is fairly typical for rent from what I have found so far. I am thinking that buying a small house might be a better option. The mortgage and taxes would not be $4-8k a month......thanks for the tip, though. I truly do appreciate that!!!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,163,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel22 View Post
I have not found any affordable summer rentals. If I could find something that would not cost more than a year's mortgage payments, I would be very interested. Can you steer me in the right direction, please?
You may wish to check VRBO.com and craigs list.
Imho, you are foolish to buy unless you plan to spend at least 4 months.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:11 PM

76 posts, read 188,823 times
Default summer residency

Why do you say that? I was thinking only 3 months....of course I could live there year round, but will have a devil of a time convincing my husband!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:15 AM

248 posts, read 359,721 times
Check the Real Estate web site out

Check ad's in Downeast Magazine

Check with area Chamber of Commerce's

And be ready to be "Out of the way" if you want something during the summer months.

I've seen prices from $500.00 a week, up to $5,000.00 a week. It's just like everything else, you get what you pay for.

There are 3 camps for sale on the pond we have our camp, with prices ranging from $210,000 to $350,000.00. Now the market has gotten very soft, so I'd be very surprise if you couldn't get a camp in Maine for as little as $75,000.00, again, you'll get what you pay for.

Some friends purchased a camp just outside of Millinocket, Maine (Just outside of Bangor area) for $45,000.00. It's nice place, with no running water, or electricity, but they know this when they purchased it. They love the quite evenings, and getting to bed early, so this is great for them.

The other thing you'll want to make sure of, is how close to the water is the property. MANY "Camps" in Maine, have right of ways to the water, but are 100', 200' 300' or more from the water.

You will enjoy it here, so keep looking and good luck.

Skip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine