U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 PM
 
76 posts, read 188,779 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

I am thinking about buying a small house to live in during the summer months to get away from the heat in NC. How close to the shore do you have to be in mid-to-northern Maine to stay below 75 degrees (more or less)....

Also, I have been told the summer residents are not warmly accepted by year round residents. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 AM
 
Location: Maine's garden spot
3,093 posts, read 5,421,255 times
Reputation: 3136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel22 View Post
I am thinking about buying a small house to live in during the summer months to get away from the heat in NC. How close to the shore do you have to be in mid-to-northern Maine to stay below 75 degrees (more or less)....

Also, I have been told the summer residents are not warmly accepted by year round residents. Is this true?


At some point during the summer, it will get above 75 degrees,no matter where you are. It has been my experience that within a few miles of the coast, it's a little cooler.

As far as getting along, there are jerks every where. If you aren't one, then you shouldn't have any trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 05:26 AM
 
Location: 3.5 sq mile island ant nest next to Canada
3,015 posts, read 4,870,300 times
Reputation: 2127
If you're not obnoxious to others or feel you're trying to raise the IQ level (Honest, it's been said and of all places a DEP/FERC hearing) then you'll get along fine. We have plenty of folks from all over the country summering here. Most are great people. I suppose I should warn ytou that, like the rest of the world, someof the locals can be jerks. But we all weed them out.

Temps in the summer can range from 65 to 90 in palces. Like Austin B says, a bit cooler on the caost. Take a few trips, get off I-95, and scope the place out. Just remember, it's about 8 hours drive Kett'ry to the top. We're a big state.

Come up and enjoy.

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 01-15-2010 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Northern Maine
9,485 posts, read 14,283,094 times
Reputation: 8906
"Also, I have been told the summer residents are not warmly accepted by year round residents. Is this true?"

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 07:29 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
10,265 posts, read 10,376,934 times
Reputation: 6932
Eastport usually sees 3 or 4 days each summer where the temperature goes over 80 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 08:10 AM
 
Location: The Outer Limits
854 posts, read 1,526,903 times
Reputation: 1268
If your only going to be there in the Summer, think about renting or be prepared to hire a house checker
I once had a Summer home in Maine, we left the doors unlocked in Winter, so would be thieves wouldnt do damage when they entered the house. The fools broke a window in the back of the house, climbed in and took my wood stove. My wife claims it was someone we befriended....think about it, host a get together and your new made friends are taking inventory while you feed them. We now rent and walk away when we're through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
4,861 posts, read 3,513,743 times
Reputation: 3402
I don't know anything about IP addressess..........
But in northern Maine the summer temps are typically 70 to 80. Never much hotter.
There are parts of southern (and even central) Maine that do get into the 90s.
If you live close to the water, you get a nice ocean effect. But it's expensive to live near the ocean.
The only unfriendly places in summer might be the towns that get absolutely swamped with tourists, like along the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
 
76 posts, read 188,779 times
Reputation: 41
Default How about the rent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
If your only going to be there in the Summer, think about renting or be prepared to hire a house checker
I once had a Summer home in Maine, we left the doors unlocked in Winter, so would be thieves wouldnt do damage when they entered the house. The fools broke a window in the back of the house, climbed in and took my wood stove. My wife claims it was someone we befriended....think about it, host a get together and your new made friends are taking inventory while you feed them. We now rent and walk away when we're through.
I have not found any affordable summer rentals. If I could find something that would not cost more than a year's mortgage payments, I would be very interested. Can you steer me in the right direction, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
 
2,352 posts, read 5,347,236 times
Reputation: 3843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel22 View Post
I have not found any affordable summer rentals. If I could find something that would not cost more than a year's mortgage payments, I would be very interested. Can you steer me in the right direction, please?
Mid-Coast & Islands Maine Vacation Rentals by Owner, Mid-Coast & Islands Maine VRBO, Vacation Home Rentals, Condo Rentals, FRBO Vacation Rentals, Mid-Coast & Islands Maine Travel Information (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/maine/mid-coast-islands - broken link)

If these are too much money, you may have to venture inland.
__________________
Sileo in pacis matris.
-----------
Terms of Service
FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 05:34 PM
 
76 posts, read 188,779 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Mid-Coast & Islands Maine Vacation Rentals by Owner, Mid-Coast & Islands Maine VRBO, Vacation Home Rentals, Condo Rentals, FRBO Vacation Rentals, Mid-Coast & Islands Maine Travel Information (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/maine/mid-coast-islands - broken link)

If these are too much money, you may have to venture inland.
TX! I will check this site out this w/e!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top