U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:48 AM

34 posts, read 128,822 times

Advertisements

cape porpoise kennebunk kennebunkport old orchard beach goose rocks beach ?

we would love to be able to walk to some things [ice cream, park, possibly beach, a local restaurant, etc.]

i've been searching homeaway, vrbo, cyberrentals, etc.

but i'm not familiar with the area. we have friends that live in new hampshire who suggested kennebunkport and we're sharing a cottage with them but i'm in charge of finding it....

thanks so much.

Trish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 04:02 PM

can someone please give me some ideas?

Oguinquit? Wells?

thanks.

they have small kids [3 <4 years] we have elementary age kids.

Thanks.

walking, beach activities, ice cream shops, fishing piers, riding bikes....

Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM

17,201 posts, read 22,241,590 times
i lived in kennebunkport for 2 years- beautiful place- busy in the summertime- kennebunk beach is of course a great place to go, one of my fav spots, is across from "the colony" is a smaller rocky beach (great for looking for sea-glass - and you can walk right out on the breakwater, a beautiful sight

all the other towns, you mentioned are very nice too- you wont go wrong,,
thier is a trolley museum in kennebunkport thats fun for kids, also, york has an animal park- carnival fun park (rides)
old orchard beach is an awesome place for kids, a huge-long beach and palace playland- a fun park with rides and arcades

Old 01-17-2010, 05:08 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,879,806 times
Sorry, first thing I'd look for is the Route 1 North sign. Too busy for me. Now, Belfast....

Old 01-17-2010, 05:22 PM

3,106 posts, read 5,440,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Sorry, first thing I'd look for is the Route 1 North sign. Too busy for me. Now, Belfast....
Some people like to vacation with a few million of their closest friends.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:06 PM

38,461 posts, read 18,219,756 times
You shouldnt have any problem finding a wonderful place for your vacation....Wells, Cape Porpoise, Ferry Beach...Ocean Park....PINE POINT...all are great places for family vacations. OOBeach is a bit honky tonk..but it has lots of stuff to do...it is all about entertaining families...and families absolutely LOVE it. Have a wonderful time.....you really won't go wrong.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:16 PM

Yes. I see pictures and it scares me of the crowds on some of the beaches...but it's for our friends.

We prefer quaint beach towns...Anna Maria Island, FL is my ideal....I also love the Michigan 'beach' towns like Ludington....

We want simple fun...finding beach glass, watching fishermen, getting lobster at a little shack restaurant, riding bikes, building sandcastles, hanging out with best friends and enjoying each other's families.

Is Belfast something I should consider? I don't know that they're not open to other places...they moved to New Hampshire 5 years ago and did rent a house with friends in kennebunk or near there... I did quickly look...and I think we want to be farther south as we're going in mid to late June unless I find one of the few places that doesn't shoot up after June 25.

that said I lived in New Jersey when I was a kid and had a blast going to Ocean City, NJ with my family. We also visited up the coast to Virginia and Conneticut but I don't remember towns. Just remember the things we did.

I would appreciate honest answers...

I do know I'm having sticker shock at the prices of some of the places.

Thanks so much!

Trish

Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,548,538 times
IMO, you'll find warmer and more sandy beaches in the area's of southern Maine that you were originally considering. While I can't guarantee you'll find beach glass there, other than in a shop, the other things you're looking for you will find in Old Orchard Beach or Pine Point. Pine Point is a little less congested but still close enough to OOB to find the family activities that you are looking for. Neither of them are much like Anna Maria though.

Coming in mid to late June, you're apt to find a few foggy days in any coastal town in Maine and the temp will not be anything close to Anna Maria at any time of year.

Best of luck to you in your research.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 AM

I know it will be colder [high 70s lows 50s] just trying to get the quaint town vibe...not into antique shops [with all the kids]...family fun...not roller coasters, carnivals, etc. free nature stuff.

I'll look into Pine Point. Any opinions on Ogunquit? Thanks.

Trish

Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 AM

Default Bar Harbor Acadia?

On another board people are recommending this area.

Opinions please from locals or visitors? Thanks.

Trish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine