Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:00 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times

Advertisements

While potentially irrelevant, or I hope they are, some of the comments made on the Bangor Daily News website are disturbing when an individual of color is arrested, or an immigration issue is in the paper. It might be a good idea to watch these for awhile to get a feel for at least (hopefully) a small cross-secton of Maine society. I'm hoping these VOM-it Radio types (WVOM is the right-wing propaganda station around Bangor featuring Limbaugh, Beck and other false prophets) are a small minority in Maine that simply have access to a computer and nothing else to do all day but make sad gallows humor and ignorant comments on all subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:25 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
You would get more acceptance there than in a lot of other places, mostly because the redneck subculture is non-existant, which is something I can't stand about Ohio.
Redneck subculture is alive and kicking, even in southern Maine. But they are having a major wake-up call because their immediate world is changing rapidly. Expect a lot more color blended families with the influx of Haitian adoptees.

White America will survive the transition. After all this country started as a non-European land.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:10 PM

45 posts, read 110,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
While potentially irrelevant, or I hope they are, some of the comments made on the Bangor Daily News website are disturbing when an individual of color is arrested, or an immigration issue is in the paper. It might be a good idea to watch these for awhile to get a feel for at least (hopefully) a small cross-secton of Maine society. I'm hoping these VOM-it Radio types (WVOM is the right-wing propaganda station around Bangor featuring Limbaugh, Beck and other false prophets) are a small minority in Maine that simply have access to a computer and nothing else to do all day but make sad gallows humor and ignorant comments on all subjects.
I didn't realize your political party was revealed with your post on the BDN website. And of course all WVOM listeners are racist I think your tolerance "Maineac" may be called into question

Old 01-31-2010, 06:04 PM

Libertarian. And at least honest. It's all a problem from both sides of the fence, but THAT side, and the posts parroting VOM, are the lowest. I got no tolerance for racism, bigotry and gallows humor with every arrest and article about immigration. I sincerely apologize if that offends your sensibilities.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:04 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
I agree that the news posts can get ridiculous but What I have read transcends racial barriers IMO. It's the sense of annonimity that opens the door to foolish comments. Some have no idea of the laws/rules that go against their comments. But it's like the car wreck; something draws you to check out the wreck.

I am in a mixed marriage and she has seen little in problems with race. Mostly the opposite. People have shown that it matters extremely little that she is a minority. My in-laws had it a bit diffferent in the early 60's. I'm not saying it's non-existant, just a heck of a lot better.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:49 AM

Very true, rtinbndr. The saddest part is, people like to try to make it political, which it ain't.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Come on, Maineac. It seems like you're the one who injected politics into the thread! Just saying....

Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 PM

Admitted. I see that now. My apologies.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
No biggie. It's easy to do..
Keep posting!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 17,524 times
I wouldn't agree with moving there! Even if it was an all black family so imagine what I would have to say about your situation. I would suggest somewhere close to Portland if Maine is where you want to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine