Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,588,041 times

Advertisements

I worked in Canada for 7 years as US citizen. The rule is called NAFTA. Ford builds vehicles in Canada and imports them to the US. I had a Ford crew cab made in Canada. Ford is on the radar too. Beware of superstitions. The fact is that the company builds economical kits for homes. They are rugged and beautiful when completed. Every piece comes pre-cut and drilled for the 14 inch screws that bolt it together. You are buying the timber frame kit, no doors, windows, roofing, plumbing, wiring, well, septic or foundation.

Cost to build is about 1/3 the cost of a log home and your heating cost will be lower forever. Fortunately, it is the same owner with decades of experience. None of my buyers have been disappointed in the product or service, but when the truck rolls in, you better have the check in hand. That's the deal. No money, nothing comes off the truck. As the old timers used to say, "Once burned, twice shy."

Edited to add:
Stop and think, people. SAPPI is South African Pulp and Paper Industry. They buy logs here, make paper here and sell it here. The old Fraser was foreign owned. Madison was owned by Milyoski Oy of Finland. The Baileyville mill is owned by Red China. Ever hear of companies named Toyota, Mercedes, Subaru, Fiat or Nissan? They all operate plants here.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 01-11-2017 at 02:23 AM..

Old 01-11-2017, 04:00 AM

973 posts, read 2,369,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I worked in Canada for 7 years as US citizen. The rule is called NAFTA. Ford builds vehicles in Canada and imports them to the US. I had a Ford crew cab made in Canada. Ford is on the radar too. Beware of superstitions. The fact is that the company builds economical kits for homes. They are rugged and beautiful when completed. Every piece comes pre-cut and drilled for the 14 inch screws that bolt it together. You are buying the timber frame kit, no doors, windows, roofing, plumbing, wiring, well, septic or foundation.

Cost to build is about 1/3 the cost of a log home and your heating cost will be lower forever. Fortunately, it is the same owner with decades of experience. None of my buyers have been disappointed in the product or service, but when the truck rolls in, you better have the check in hand. That's the deal. No money, nothing comes off the truck. As the old timers used to say, "Once burned, twice shy."

Edited to add:
Stop and think, people. SAPPI is South African Pulp and Paper Industry. They buy logs here, make paper here and sell it here. The old Fraser was foreign owned. Madison was owned by Milyoski Oy of Finland. The Baileyville mill is owned by Red China. Ever hear of companies named Toyota, Mercedes, Subaru, Fiat or Nissan? They all operate plants here.
Not sure of your point is to call me wrong, but if that is it, the one thing you left out is all those companies use US citizens for labor. The guy selling these timber fraime buildings is Canadian. As I said, he can own the company here in the states, but he can't manufacture here and come over and consult on the construction of kits. It just so happened he was consulting on a kit sold down in the Machias area. He crossed the border in Houlton. He then went on to tell a total stranger why he didn't cross at Calais, which would have made a lot more sense. It just so happened that a couple days earlier he had crossed at Calais and was told he was breaking the law and that wasn't allowed. Now if the total stranger he told this story to didn't work for Customs, he might get away with his deception for a while. I think they are onto him however.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:07 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,588,041 times
There is no deception. I didn't deceive anybody when I went back and forth every week for 7 years. The post and beam company is Canadian. They can manufacture product in Maine just as Ford makes Fords in Canada. Somebody may not like it, but under NAFTA it's legal. When a post and beam kit arrives a company representative stays on site for a half day to get the crew started. Three people can frame a house in a weekend. I have seen it done. Want a hint? Have an Amish crew and it will go up in one day.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 AM

16,604 posts, read 15,548,054 times
Since this thread is nearly seven years old, I think the OP has all the answers he's going to need. Further bickering is useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine