Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:49 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

That "huge three story Victorian that's insanely neglected" has a window open on the third floor. I bet the pigeons have found that.

We were in Eastport last week and found the WACO closed. We wanted to have dinner on the deck because it was a warm day. Our friends had not seen seals from a restaurant. We found a great seafood restaurant on the water by the ferry landing. It was called "Chowder and Diesel" or something similar. That isn't unusual in Maine. There are businesses with signs that say "Real Estate and Bait Shop", "Guns and Jam" and "Used Cars and Meat Cutting".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
The Wa-Co was foreclosed on in the spring and bought again (a little shady looking) a few months ago. Previous owners had no idea on running a business and didn't care. The new owner owns the Chowder House (always going to be The Cannery to me). He has to put another $100- $150K into it at least. The place was a disaster inside; mold, grease, water damage. Even the exhaust in the kitchen has grease dripping out of it. He is doing a good job on it and bringing it back to a good place to eat.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 AM

161 posts, read 418,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
That "huge three story Victorian that's insanely neglected" has a window open on the third floor. I bet the pigeons have found that.

We were in Eastport last week and found the WACO closed. We wanted to have dinner on the deck because it was a warm day. Our friends had not seen seals from a restaurant. We found a great seafood restaurant on the water by the ferry landing. It was called "Chowder and Diesel" or something similar. That isn't unusual in Maine. There are businesses with signs that say "Real Estate and Bait Shop", "Guns and Jam" and "Used Cars and Meat Cutting".
"...and Bait" is a classic in Maine.

"Welding and Bait" is a favorite of mine.

Alan

Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 AM

163 posts, read 295,334 times
As a teenager, I moved with my family from Maine to N.H. in the mid 60's. Store that my dad stopped at often on the way to Milford N. H. had a giant sign on the roof. "EAT HERE AND GET GAS"

Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
We drove by and looked at that house last week. I think you could save some money on the heating bill by tossing $100 bills into the fireplace. That's a big house that needs a huge amount of work.
I have no doubt at all. Ours here is only 2500+ s/f and the winter bill runs over $600 a month. And we're in middle TN where the winters are VERY mild compared to Easport. Don't doubt for a second that it will cost a bloody fortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Sweet! So it comes with pets already! Baha!! I'm just kidding................kind of. I'd probably toss seed in the yard. I'm a softie, I can't help it.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:49 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,740 times
Before you make the move to Eastport, I certainly would love to tell you about it. First of all, we moved here over 2 years ago, and there are no regrets. But, I need to make sure that any of you moving here who plan on living on a fixed income are aware of the following things.

1) cost of water, sewer, and electric are high, much higher than the national average, especially electricity
2) property taxes are high, repeat high, the taxes on our home are averaging almost a 10% increase each year. Assessments are fair, but the millage rate required is excessive.
3) Car tags are somewhat expensive, a new car is over $600 per year for the first few years, (city excise tax)
4) the cost of living for certain things is fairly high, some things cheaper, but overall, be prepared for increased costs
5) if you have a retirement income over $10K per year, you will pay income taxes on it. Rates are as high as 8.5%, in addition to the IRS
6) heating, well, hey, we are in Maine, enough said.

The list above is, well non-negotiable, you generally can't cut corners on most of those items. We are land rich and job poor. Do I regret moving here, no way! The economic issue is something you certainly should think about if you on a fixed income. Jobs are not as hard to come by as some people say, but the wages are not equal to the rest of the country.

As someone once told me, come on up, and be poor with the rest of us.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Before you make the move to Eastport, I certainly would love to tell you about it. First of all, we moved here over 2 years ago, and there are no regrets. But, I need to make sure that any of you moving here who plan on living on a fixed income are aware of the following things.

1) cost of water, sewer, and electric are high, much higher than the national average, especially electricity
2) property taxes are high, repeat high, the taxes on our home are averaging almost a 10% increase each year. Assessments are fair, but the millage rate required is excessive.
3) Car tags are somewhat expensive, a new car is over $600 per year for the first few years, (city excise tax)
4) the cost of living for certain things is fairly high, some things cheaper, but overall, be prepared for increased costs
5) if you have a retirement income over $10K per year, you will pay income taxes on it. Rates are as high as 8.5%, in addition to the IRS
6) heating, well, hey, we are in Maine, enough said.

The list above is, well non-negotiable, you generally can't cut corners on most of those items. We are land rich and job poor. Do I regret moving here, no way! The economic issue is something you certainly should think about if you on a fixed income. Jobs are not as hard to come by as some people say, but the wages are not equal to the rest of the country.

As someone once told me, come on up, and be poor with the rest of us.
Suck up. LOL And the excise tax is State law not city. We just get to keep it (so far) for the road upkeep.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Suck up. LOL And the excise tax is State law not city. We just get to keep it (so far) for the road upkeep.
I noticed that too!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I noticed that too!
If he thinks their fair then they must be too low. Where's my eraser?

Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
evil~ you keep those erasers out of it.

Taxes are high in the town I live in because we have a public "private school". Dont mind me. Taxes are high for we have about (40 -50 kids) and well... what can I say. I'm not looking for a slam.

... but I do have to boast... our taxes went down this year 17%. wo0oo ho0oo we can fill our fuel tank to the rim.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 09-27-2012 at 05:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine