Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 AM

7 posts, read 13,350 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for honest, to the point information about Maine in general, and Portland and Bangor in particular. From natives, particularly! Sorry for the long post, but I'm at a crossroads in life and want to make my questions clear.

I'm living in North Shore of Boston and am at the end of my rope with the appalling conditions here. Originally, a country girl from the midwest, I don't know what I was thinking when I moved here 10 years ago! I need to escape!

Maine is an obvious option -- accessible, with the opportunity to interview for jobs without quitting my own in Boston and moving there cold (which is how I moved here, and it wasn't pretty). I've visited Maine a few times, particularly Bangor, and was impressed by the laid back, polite attitude of the people and the incredble snow removal and winter road maintenance which reminds me of back home in Michigan! (Here, a few inches of snow creates absolute chaos and ungodly misery because of their inexplicable inability to clear the roads, or to drive in snowy/rainy conditions -- I now absolutely dread winter and cannot drag myself through another one here to save my life!)

So what about Maine? And which cities would I fare best in regards to:

Jobs! I'm an administrative assistant in a hospital in Boston and make very good money for being "just a secretary," but given the ridiculous cost of living here, I still live in a dump and have little discretionary income. I'm used to "living poor," and don't really mind that, as long as I can keep head above water, but if there are simply no jobs to be had, that's that. So, what's the job situation in Maine? As I said, I can easily play hooky and come up for interviews, so that's no problem.

Housing! Especially, apartments which accept pets. I'd like to upgrade from the crumbling death-trap I'm living in here, obviously, but need a place where pet house rabbits are accepted. What's the going rate for a decent, one-bedroom apartment where things are actually fixed when broken, your landlord isn't a hopeless alcoholic who makes your life miserable, and you don't have to shovel your own walkway (and driveway...and street)?! Are there decent opportunities, or a shortage of affordable housing?

People! What's the racial mix and how well do people get along? (I'm Native American, and have had my share of finding I am in a place I don't feel comfortable. Like here.) My family comes mainly from rural Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia and I enjoy the outdoors, space, quiet, and smaller towns. Boston is a nightmare for me, obviously. Sadly, the people here tend to be rude and aggressive and it wears you out in no time having to deal with them. I'm looking for a place where I can make friends and have a good social/dating life, which is not happening where I'm living now. (Speaking of which, what's the ratio of men to women? I swear, there must be 10 women for every man in the Boston area!)

I am just very anxious to move to a place where I don't feel so unhappy and isolated and only have enough $$$ to make ONE move and it has to be the wisest move possible!

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read through all this and give me that wisdom of their experience! It's genuinely appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces Moon View Post
I'm looking for honest, to the point information about Maine in general, and Portland and Bangor in particular. From natives, particularly! Sorry for the long post, but I'm at a crossroads in life and want to make my questions clear.

I'm living in North Shore of Boston and am at the end of my rope with the appalling conditions here. Originally, a country girl from the midwest, I don't know what I was thinking when I moved here 10 years ago! I need to escape!

Maine is an obvious option -- accessible, with the opportunity to interview for jobs without quitting my own in Boston and moving there cold (which is how I moved here, and it wasn't pretty). I've visited Maine a few times, particularly Bangor, and was impressed by the laid back, polite attitude of the people and the incredble snow removal and winter road maintenance which reminds me of back home in Michigan! (Here, a few inches of snow creates absolute chaos and ungodly misery because of their inexplicable inability to clear the roads, or to drive in snowy/rainy conditions -- I now absolutely dread winter and cannot drag myself through another one here to save my life!)

Jobs! I'm an administrative assistant in a hospital in Boston and make very good money for being "just a secretary," but given the ridiculous cost of living here, I still live in a dump and have little discretionary income. I'm used to "living poor," and don't really mind that, as long as I can keep head above water, but if there are simply no jobs to be had, that's that. So, what's the job situation in Maine? As I said, I can easily play hooky and come up for interviews, so that's no problem.

Housing! Especially, apartments which accept pets. I'd like to upgrade from the crumbling death-trap I'm living in here, obviously, but need a place where pet house rabbits are accepted. What's the going rate for a decent, one-bedroom apartment where things are actually fixed when broken, your landlord isn't a hopeless alcoholic who makes your life miserable, and you don't have to shovel your own walkway (and driveway...and street)?! Are there decent opportunities, or a shortage of affordable housing?

People! What's the racial mix and how well do people get along? (I'm Native American, and have had my share of finding I am in a place I don't feel comfortable. Like here.)

My family comes mainly from rural Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia and I enjoy the outdoors, space, quiet, and smaller towns. Boston is a nightmare for me, obviously. Sadly, the people here tend to be rude and aggressive and it wears you out in no time having to deal with them. I'm looking for a place where I can make friends and have a good social/dating life, which is not happening where I'm living now. (Speaking of which, what's the ratio of men to women? I swear, there must be 10 women for every man in the Boston area!)

I am just very anxious to move to a place where I don't feel so unhappy and isolated and only have enough $$$ to make ONE move and it has to be the wisest move possible!

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read through all this and give me that wisdom of their experience! It's genuinely appreciated.
I dont want to be critical but IMO i dont see your problems as geographic ones. As some one who is from Mass and now lives in Maine I still feel Mass has it all over Maine....unless you really want a rural lifstyle and truly live for the outdoor's hunting, fishing, ect. I dont recall snow ever really being a problem down there??

If you want to come here and live in one of its more metropolitan areas then you will find it just as or more difficult to live. Yes Maine has less crime, less people, less traffic ect... but it is a poor state with low wage jobs. I still feel living here is just as expensive as Mass... Now mass has expensive housing but our rents here are still high considering wages but then everything else you door here will cost more... eating out, groceries, registering a car, putting gas in your car, ect ect.

have you considered taking a real close look at your life and thinking about what it is you really need??

You came from Michigan to Mass and now am look into Maine??

Maybe if you were making more money where you are?
Maybe if you tried a different town?
How about a different landlord?

Packing up and moving cold is a really bad idea.. froom what you said it sounds like you know that..

But to get to specifics I think a "nice" one bedroom in portland will run $600-$900 maybe more?? "nice" is subjective... Portland will not have the housing options Mass has.. most of the buildings will be old... depending on whether or not who pays utilities will make a big difference! I think a planning on a thousand a month would get you a nice place in a nice area. But as far as pets are concerned good luck.. I am a landlord and I do not allow dogs... indoor declawed cats are ok.. but thats it.. I also base a lot of my decisions in how the potential renter presents him/her self... If you cant take of your self then why would I think you can take care of a pet... any real nice apartments will probably not allow pets.

At the end of the day you have to be specific about what it is you want in life..

Good luck

Old 02-23-2010, 03:14 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces Moon View Post

People! What's the racial mix and how well do people get along? (I'm Native American, and have had my share of finding I am in a place I don't feel comfortable. Like here.) My family comes mainly from rural Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia and I enjoy the outdoors, space, quiet, and smaller towns. Boston is a nightmare for me, obviously. Sadly, the people here tend to be rude and aggressive and it wears you out in no time having to deal with them. I'm looking for a place where I can make friends and have a good social/dating life, which is not happening where I'm living now. (Speaking of which, what's the ratio of men to women? I swear, there must be 10 women for every man in the Boston area!)

Almost no racial diversity in Maine. having said that, there are two native tribes near Bangor.
Pet friendly housing... maybe.
Jobs... maybe, but secretaries aren't paid well up here.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:22 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
A wise man once told me that there are no geographical solutions to problems. He told me that about 4 months before I moved. He was right, dang it. You're close enough to Miane for a few visits to check it out. Lots closer then NC. Quite the range there for you. Make a few visits if you really feel you need to move. Good luck to you.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Default Flood Warning

Moved to Flood Watch thread where it should have been to start with.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 02-23-2010 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Post landed in wrong thread. See Flood Warning thread.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Welcome to the forum.

I am not a native, though I do live near Bangor. I think that often natives may 'feel' a place without any perspective. [the taxes are high, or folks are rude, or crime is high] Whereas it requires someone who is from away to really appreciate how wonderful Maine is sometimes.

Quote:
... am at the end of my rope with the appalling conditions here. Originally, a country girl from the midwest, I don't know what I was thinking when I moved here 10 years ago! I need to escape!
I here you.

We were in a horribly over-populated city of 4 million, crazy high crime, then we moved to Connecticut, and it seemed like it followed us. Shootings every week, gang violence in every neighborhood, ...

Now here in Maine? LOL peace and quite

Quote:
... I've visited Maine a few times, particularly Bangor, and was impressed by the laid back, polite attitude of the people and the incredible snow removal and winter road maintenance ...
Yes these people just take everything in their stride, no big upsets.

Quote:
... So what about Maine? And which cities would I fare best in regards to:

Jobs!
It really depends on where you find a job.

Quote:
... I'm an administrative assistant in a hospital in Boston and make very good money for being "just a secretary," but given the ridiculous cost of living here, I still live in a dump and have little discretionary income. I'm used to "living poor," and don't really mind that, as long as I can keep head above water, but if there are simply no jobs to be had, that's that. So, what's the job situation in Maine? As I said, I can easily play hooky and come up for interviews, so that's no problem.
We have been pleased with seeing how much cheaper it is to live in Maine.

Quote:
... Housing! Especially, apartments which accept pets.
I had no problems finding an apartment which allowed us to bring a cat and a dog.

Quote:
... What's the going rate for a decent, one-bedroom apartment where things are actually fixed when broken, your landlord isn't a hopeless alcoholic who makes your life miserable, and you don't have to shovel your own walkway (and driveway...and street)?! Are there decent opportunities, or a shortage of affordable housing?
We paid $650 for a 2bdrm which allowed pets, and we did no snow removal.

Quote:
... People! What's the racial mix and how well do people get along? (I'm Native American, and have had my share of finding I am in a place I don't feel comfortable. Like here.)
95% pasty white.

4% native American.

Quote:
... the people here tend to be rude and aggressive and it wears you out in no time having to deal with them.
It is not that way here at all.

Good luck now

Old 02-24-2010, 07:05 AM

7 posts, read 13,350 times
Default Hmmm!!!

Thanks to everyone for your time and responses! I truly appreciate it.

No offense to those who are of the opinion that my problems are not geographical, but I beg to differ! If you are living in a place which is much too expensive for you to afford decent housing (thus forcing you to rent a tiny depressing dump you must upkeep with your own time and money, which tends to dampen your zest for life), and which has a culture which isn't exactly warm and welcoming (meaning that trying to make friends with the natives is like flirting with a nun -- talk about long, cold stares!), then you got yourself some problems which are most certainly geographically based!

Thank you so much forest beekeeper, for sharing your experiences! $650 for a 2 bedroom?! OMG!!! I'm paying more for 1 bedroom with a kitchen only big enough for an elf, no dining area, no storage area, and a miniscule bathroom with only a shower. People laugh when I say that I've not had a bath in YEARS, but it's true! What I wouldn't give for a nice, long, relaxing soak! An ex of mine sold a condo he owned on Beacon Hill that had just about the same amount of space for $679,000. The funniest part was, he sweetly gave me first dibs to buy it! Yeah. Right!

So far, I've gotten very positive feedback from western North Carolina, but there's no harm in sending out employment feelers to Portland, Bangor and a few other places to test the waters. Something will click one place or the other and then I can make my move!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Did you see the thread couple days ago about a house [3BR 1BA 1386sf] being auctioned?

Habitable, it seemed the biggest complaint folks here had was the wallpaper.

It sold for $18k.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,464 times
Have you thought about commuting. It can take some time out of your day but to me it has always been well worth it. I used to commute from Maine to Boston every day and know several other people that have done the same thing. Many take the bus out of Portland or the Amtrak train. York is close enough where it now actually considered a suburb of Boston. There are a lot of nice towns in Southern Maine and NH that are close enough that it wouldn't make it to miserable. The one thing that would be nice is making the Boston income and living in an area that the money will go a lot further. You could also do this while you looked for work elsewhere.
I am now stuck in CT and commute 2 hrs one way into New York City but it is well worth it and a lot of people here do the same thing. I wish I could get back to Maine though. Ever since we left Maine for a forced job transfer we make a lot more money but it is eaten up by everything. Our money went a lot further there. Good Luck!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:32 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Did you see the thread couple days ago about a house [3BR 1BA 1386sf] being auctioned?

Habitable, it seemed the biggest complaint folks here had was the wallpaper.

It sold for $18k.
There are a lot of unbelievable deals around. My cousin just bought a nice old farm house in northern Maine for $30k. Where we live in CT it would easily be a $600k house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: