U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 AM

3,518 posts, read 3,455,790 times

Advertisements

This topic is on the Education board; however, since Maine is participating, this link is from the Bangor Daily News.

I think 10th grade is early in terms of maturity to be going to college.

What do you think? Will this trained workforce bring more jobs to Maine?

Maine schools join plan allowing early entry to college after 10th grade - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/137115.html - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,482,284 times
It's hard enough to decide what it is you want to do at 18 let alone 16.

Students already have the opportunity to get a GED early and attend college "IF" they want to??

And kids that are labeled "gifted and talented" have their own fast track to getting into college.

It is the first objective of this program that has me concerned. "Aimed at increasing graduation rates"..

Talk to any H.S teacher and they can tell you how many students are breezed through high school and graduated... MAINE SAT SCORES ARE ALREADY LAST IN THE NATION!!

This program will turn into a "easy out" for borderline students who were probably not going to make it..

And remember... H.S. is as much about develpoing social skills as it is academic.. and our focus should be higher education. which this does not address.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 AM

701 posts, read 638,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
It's hard enough to decide what it is you want to do at 18 let alone 16.

Students already have the opportunity to get a GED early and attend college "IF" they want to??

And kids that are labeled "gifted and talented" have their own fast track to getting into college.

It is the first objective of this program that has me concerned. "Aimed at increasing graduation rates"..

Talk to any H.S teacher and they can tell you how many students are breezed through high school and graduated... MAINE SAT SCORES ARE ALREADY LAST IN THE NATION!!

This program will turn into a "easy out" for borderline students who were probably not going to make it..

And remember... H.S. is as much about develpoing social skills as it is academic.. and our focus should be higher education. which this does not address.
I don't know much about this, so I did just a little looking and came up with this.........

SAT scores by state - USATODAY.com

What I see is that participation rates vary greatly, if Maine has 100% of students taking SATs then certainly the total scores will be lower than, say, a state that has only 10% participation. Presumably the top 10%.

I usually hear great things about Maine schools.............but I haven't had first hand experience.

BTW......I too think 10th grade is a little early to start full time University, but maybe just some classes on the side would be better?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,482,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
I don't know much about this, so I did just a little looking and came up with this.........

What I see is that participation rates vary greatly, if Maine has 100% of students taking SATs then certainly the total scores will be lower than, say, a state that has only 10% participation. Presumably the top 10%.

I usually hear great things about Maine schools.............but I haven't had first hand experience.

BTW......I too think 10th grade is a little early to start full time University, but maybe just some classes on the side would be better?

I saw that and found it hard to believe that Maine has 100% participation rate..

Just a few years ago Maine was caught skewing numbers on graduation rates.. (they compared just the number of students entering senior year and graduating rather then total enrollment like other states do)

But your right when it comes to comparing maine against states that less then 10% of the students take the test, It's not accurate!

I really look at new england and Maine still ranks lower.

But my real issue is how will Maine abuse this to improve their graduation rates?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM

5,661 posts, read 7,684,734 times
Quote:
That works well for us. My 16 year old junior took one college class last semester through the high school and WCCC. She's doing that again this semester and she's taking a science class at UMaine Orono thorugh Academ-e. Academ-e orientation was on campus but the rest is done here at home. She'll have nine college credits at the end of her junior year.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 AM

5,661 posts, read 7,684,734 times
Quote:
I saw that and found it hard to believe that Maine has 100% participation rate..
Juniors take the PSAT instead of MEA's standard achievement test. There isn't 100% participation in SAT, it's not required.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 AM

2,052 posts, read 2,862,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post

We spend over three million dollars per year to graduate about 17 kids. At this rate, they should all be enrolling at Harvard!

I am all for disbanding the government indoctrination centers anyway, and return to a pay for education basis.

The amount of tax monies involved in the whole fiasco is unsustainable.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
That works well for us. My 16 year old junior took one college class last semester through the high school and WCCC. She's doing that again this semester and she's taking a science class at UMaine Orono thorugh Academ-e. Academ-e orientation was on campus but the rest is done here at home. She'll have nine college credits at the end of her junior year.

I think that's reasonable, and I've known many to have done that successfully in the past. I just wonder if it's actually plausible, or if it's another educational waste of time and resources that can better prepare them for NOT needing remedial classes in college (which is one reason they are piloting this).

This year, the elementary students used NECAPs as I'm under the impression the MEA's have been scrapped.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
We spend over three million dollars per year to graduate about 17 kids. At this rate, they should all be enrolling at Harvard!

I am all for disbanding the government indoctrination centers anyway, and return to a pay for education basis.

The amount of tax monies involved in the whole fiasco is unsustainable.

I think there is a lot of waste in the educational system as a whole, and I'm rather caught between a rock and a hard place as I have kids who are in school, and I do value education because I really want those who will be taking care of our generation to be educated.

That said, I have to wonder whether this experiment will be all for naught if there isn't foresight into where the payoff will be. Yes, I suppose it will save tax money (but will they qualify for student loans at 15?) but what will it cost to implement it and where will they work once they've got their degree?

I also think about maturity, or lack thereof. Obviously no two kids are the same, but 15 is a little young to be exposed to college life as a whole IMHO. A couple of classes, yes, but full time?

Old 02-18-2010, 05:56 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,650,222 times
i think this is just a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine