Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:09 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,600,167 times

Advertisements

"If you build it they will come." It's like that baseball field in Iowa or Indiana with corn growing all around it. Kevin Costner was in the movie. Build a methadone clinic and it will attract druggies. If there is no methadone clinic for 100 miles you won't find many druggies in that neighborhood. If you have some they won't stay. This should not be hard to figure out.

If restaurants, offices and factories had smoking lounges there would be a lot more smokers because they wouldn't have to go out into the rain or snow to have a smoke. That's why the laws were passed. Most people don't want to be around smokers so they exiled the smokers from restaurants and other places of employment. The same could be done for heroin druggies.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:21 PM

11 posts, read 18,920 times
Yea, methadone treatment is okay, I have read some of the information about it and it seems to be pretty welll research. The problem becomes when some of this clinics beging to over regulate their patients instead of providing good treatment

I am surprise how well some of this clinics are run. I evern ran across a couple of Websites and message board from patients and they seem to be a whole bunch of well behave guys and gals and frequently they had some very good points on their complains about clinics and even the US governmente over regulations. They also seem to be doing well in other countries in europe. Most of this guys can work and have a normal life that they did not have when they were out in the street.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,615,628 times
Think of it this way:

If you dont have a Methadone clinic, with mandatory counseling, and routine drug screenings then your town has a Meth problem without a solution. Guess you could just hire more police, but that wont solve it either.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,701,793 times
I thought Methedone was a substitute for Heroine addiction????? The Meth your reffering to is something that is coming to Maine and will probably hit Maine hard over the next decade.

Why cant this be asorbed into normal managed care through the primary care physician's and hospitals. That way its spread out over the whole state. Why does there have to be this one spot...this one place where all the addicts can come to to get a fix..I have vision's of crime, aids, needles being left on the ground, and completley degrading the area around it.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,441,032 times
From my understanding it is a substitution for crack cocaine and oxycontin addiction as well. IMO, Methadone just turns someone from one type of addiction to another. An addict is an addict is an addict.

Nobody wants a clinic in their back yard. Nobody wants those type of people in their towns. That doesn't deny the fact that the drugs aren't still there as are the addicts. What to do with them, or how best to treat them, or who should pay for it, I have no idea.

However, denial is not the answer.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,189,033 times
it only helps those who want to be helpd.you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him or her drink.i no what would work better then any clinic.16 or 18 hrs of good hard work 7 days a week then they dont have time to think about their drug habbit.by the time they get out of work they are so tierd all they want to do is sleep.then the next thing you no there would be sleep clinics popping up every where.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:30 AM

12 posts, read 10,862 times
Some good points but when you work in a REHAB at a hospital,etc and see people coming in that use to use heroin,then went to a methodone clinic to get "help" here in Maine and then became addicted that that crap ,its pretty sad to say..they do NOT work! I have heard more horror stories than good.If they want help ,they will seek it ,at the rehabs, without wasting more tax payers dollars by setting up meth clinics.An addict will do whatever they have to to get the drug.Good idea RANGER.101ST but I'm afraid most addicts hate to work,LOL! That idea would be good for any criminal in jail..at least they would want to get out and do something more than sitting behind bars and looking at concrete walls all day:-)

Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I thought Methedone was a substitute for Heroine addiction????? The Meth your reffering to is something that is coming to Maine and will probably hit Maine hard over the next decade.

Why cant this be asorbed into normal managed care through the primary care physician's and hospitals. That way its spread out over the whole state. Why does there have to be this one spot...this one place where all the addicts can come to to get a fix..I have vision's of crime, aids, needles being left on the ground, and completley degrading the area around it.

That is a great point and I believe that the have done some reseach and studies and seem to have worked out well. They do it like that in Europe. Patient go to their primary physician and they give them a 30 day prescripition.

But do not confuse Methadone with Methaemphedamine. Methadone is an oral medication well research and with good clincs guidelines. Methadone has a blocking dose that does not allow for patient to feel any other opiate as well. Methadone is Oral an it is no used in needles. In fact from what I have read most methadone situation the crime rate goes down significantly and because it is oral and do not use needles they have much less problems with AIDS from the old stablished patients.

But I tell you it is so easy to confuse that this service to this patients is a good service. Once in a great while you hear about some problems but it is usually created by very few patients and from the most part you would not know that those would be a methadone patient unless you would see them come to the clinics.

This patients will not have to go to one clinic and acumulate with each other. Let them find themselves somewhere else. But for the most part I have looked in to it when a clinic was moving a few blocks from my house in Miami. And I have not see the problems of people hanging around the clinics. They come and they go as if they were going to another doctor. It is usually the clinics who are not run well that have this kinds of problems. They should tell their patients straight out to do their business and then go home or go to work or where ever they want to go, but do not have to staigh around in the clinic socializing.

AND IT IS A MISTAKE TO BELIEVE THAT THESE PATIENTS DO NOT WORK, MOST OF THIS PATIENTS DO WORK LIKE YOU AND ME AND YOU COULDN'T TELL THEM APART IF YOU TRIED. THAT IS TRULY CRUEL TO THINK THAT THIS GUYS ARE ANY DIFFERENT AND WE HAVE MORE PREJUDICE AND STIGMA THAT WE REALY NEED TO PUT ON THOSE PEOPLE. IF YOU DO NOT GET INTO READING MORE ABOUT IT AND WHAT YOU GUYS WANT IS TO HARP TOTALLY ON THE NEGATIVE THEN YOU REALY DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. YOU WILL BE WRONG GIVING OUT MISSINFORMATION AND THERE IS PLENTY OF THAT ALREADY.

Last edited by FigaroUno; 10-15-2008 at 07:02 AM..

Old 10-15-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
From my understanding it is a substitution for crack cocaine and oxycontin addiction as well. IMO, Methadone just turns someone from one type of addiction to another. An addict is an addict is an addict.

Nobody wants a clinic in their back yard. Nobody wants those type of people in their towns. That doesn't deny the fact that the drugs aren't still there as are the addicts. What to do with them, or how best to treat them, or who should pay for it, I have no idea.

However, denial is not the answer.

BOY from what you understand you are missunderstand. That is a big mistake in this board. You guys are missinforming each other. If I was you guys and if you were so concern as you guys are talking. You should read more about it and start with some of the infomation made by the National Institute of Drug Abuse and Substance Abuse Mental Health Service Adminsitration if you guy loves to harm on the negative that is what you will do continue to get negative information and most of it will be in error, because most of it is gossip.

Although denial is not the answer misinformation is not either.

I do not know what problems you have with the clinics you have experience. If any, because I think you guys are playing with your fantasies more than you care to admit. But the clinic in West Dade is run well. I have visited them and I did not walk out with any bad impression and I am a hard guy to convince about stuff because after you tell me something I go and find out more information if it is important.

We have no higher crime rates,nor needles around our houses. Methadone is an oral medication and old stablished patients do not have AIDS like you guys fear.

I understand that most people will fear and make up stuff about things that they do not understand, and I think it is the case here.

I you are interested find out more, but do not stigmatized all patients as the same and do not think that every thing in this world is dangerous.

I have read about bad clinics, but with the many that exist, the few that are run badly those not prove the rest of the treatment protocol is worng.

STIGMATIZING THEM IS THE WORSE THING THAT YOU CAN DO FOR THIS PEOPLE, and it seems like you guys are doing it quite well. I just hope that none of you ever have to be in a group of people that has before been stigmatized. If you have then you will realized that perhaps you are doing the same that was done to you at one time. I know I have been stigmantized before and I know that what most people though was in error most of the time. Do not make the same mistake and add to the problem instead of helping out.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,441,032 times
I might very well be mistaken buddy, but you may as well understand this:

MAINE isn't anything like Miami or West Dade. Nice to hear your clinic in West Dade is run so well. I personally wouldn't step foot in West Dade if you paid me. Oh, and please don't tell me about the crime stats down here, I watch the news. It scares me to death.

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine