U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:35 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,611,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
wow, I think we just have been. You took a few quotes and a little information, and stigmatized us as unknowledgeable and critical. You know nothing about what those of us on here do for work, or what has led us to our opinions. Furthermore, you don't really know how many of us have opinions on this, because not everyone has posted in this thread. YET, you went ahead and stigmatized Mainers based on a few things.
i have an opinion,i wish we had a clinic up here so i wouldnt have to drive so far for my fix.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 PM

11 posts, read 11,918 times
PS: those that use the clinic in my town are not the "young affluent night club goers"... lol, right.

LIKE you reeeeeeally know the kind of patients that go to these programs? Well, I say you will really be surprise. Obviously you have one on me; I have not seen your town's clinic. What is your town? And I can probably find out a thing or two about that clinic. Interesting enough I even found out there is an extensive grapevine of information thanks to the internet. You might have some kind of special circumstances, doubtful, but everything is possible. The data and surveys the federal government has done are telling me different. And from what I can tell they have done plenty of research and surveys in the past 40 to 50 years..... Some clinics are run fairly bad and allow patients to hang around and socialize after dosing and this has increased problems. For the most part, and a clinic may have upwards from 200 patients into the thousands, what have been shown to me, most patient stay long enough to do their business and they go on with their daily life to work and taking care of their families. A patient who volunteered to talk to me even complained that he did not like to stay any more than he had to. After a while in treatment counseling was a barrier and not an asset. I also have participated as a friend in methadone forums. The impressions that I have are not even close to some of what I have read here. Like I said, all I have to do is read you to know.
Yep, I know, your town is different. And I "understand", I was as hysteric with misinformation and wrong impressions when I first heard about it years ago.

Yet, I have known of doctors, nurses, housewives, probably people from all walks of life, many college educated, a few celeb rock and rollers and Jazz musicians but those are kind of expected. They are people like you and me. Yea, I know you don't think so. You think not, because you have picture in your heads about who they are. That IS what's call stigma. When the fact is that most methadone patients are not the down and out. Those are less than a small percentage nationwide. I was shown a video done by the American Methadone Treatment Association (I heard they are called something else now), which are the doctors and treatment staff that work with this population. It opened my eyes to a number of my misconceptions and such poor knowleadge I had about the subject. I am a really hard guy to convince on stuff like this. Yet I can tell that most clinics have and do all of the research base and medical best practice that is possible. In fact when I got in the internet and started to read I was shocked about how full of myself and how far off the facts I was. Most professional information are a lot real than all of this opinions and thoughts that I thought I was so right about. I was surprise of all of the myth that exists around it...... Someone told me that myths are harder to fix than a lie and from some of what I can read, it seem to be true.

By the way thank you regarding the misspell. I take correction well.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:02 AM

5,650 posts, read 7,561,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FigaroUno View Post
PS: those that use the clinic in my town are not the "young affluent night club goers"... lol, right.

LIKE you reeeeeeally know the kind of patients that go to these programs?
If you really KNEW you wouldn't be laughing at Molly's comment because it's true. There isn't a night club in Molly's town and the young people (and their parents) aren't affluent. Yes, people who live here in the small, close-knit community DO know who uses the clinic.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:16 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,679,722 times
I find your tone very condescending, FigaroUno- it is YOU who misunderstands where many of the posters are coming from- small towns where YES- they do know the kind of people that sue the clinic. In fact, not just the *kind* of people- they know the ACTUAL PEOPLE. And most of the time, they know the patients parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, the name of their dog and their highschool sweetheart to boot.

And especially condescending to Mollysmiles, by telling her that in fact, the majority of methadone clinic patients are young affluent nightclub goers. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO EASTPORT, MAINE??? There are no young affluent nightclub goers! Hell, there aren't even any night clubs to begin with! So in that case it is YOU who are misinformed and refusing to admit that you are. You can know everything about how clinics work in your area and the general characteristics of patients in your area, but that does not mean that you know everything about every clinic and every addict in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigaroUno View Post
I was shocked about how full of myself and how far off the facts I was.
As is the case with your knowledge of methodone clinics and addicts in rural Maine.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:19 PM

6,145 posts, read 7,834,816 times
If you build it, they will come.

Conversely, If you don't build it they will go somewhere else.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:22 PM

7,392 posts, read 8,336,977 times
Hopefully "figarouno" (how conceited is that name?) will/has.... sounds like he needs to get out more as he truly believes everything is the same everywhere.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:33 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,750,209 times
Agreed, you just can't compare. People pick up a thread - with an agenda - they have no idea about life in Maine - you just can't compare the 2 states - there is no comparison. How sad.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
If you really KNEW you wouldn't be laughing at Molly's comment because it's true. There isn't a night club in Molly's town and the young people (and their parents) aren't affluent. Yes, people who live here in the small, close-knit community DO know who uses the clinic.

Being a close-knit community you might know who uses the clinic. I guess if you stand by and watch people walk in. That is always been a complain of patients. Given the social stigma, patients for the most part do not like those clinic system because of that. However, I am surprise that if you are such "small" community. You would have such big problem with opiates that would require a clinic in your town. Or do you guys have that BIG problem with heroin or other opiates in your area? or I am also going to guess and I do not know, but is it that a good number of those patients in that clinic might also be coming from other close towns and vicinity?. I am wondering why in such small area would you have such large big city problems. Given a populations of 1,600 people then some of this patients may be coming from other areas. And that is what's bothering you guys. You think that they might start moving into your town? I doubt it, I have not heard of patients doing that, I mean from what I have read they have lives wherever they come from.

By the way if you read your thread correct, you will note that I was using Molly's quote so that it would be known who and what I was responding. Ms. Molly was laughing at herself. That LOL belongs to her not me. In fact I have not laugh at all.

But the truth is that you are right she had one on me, now I know the town is EASTPORT, I will find out and would amend any thing that I might have said wrong. But you guys I am telling you are mis informed about methadone and are missing the point. And you are fearing thing because you do not understand them. That is always been so. You are no different that most people. And I am sure that I have done it myself. In fact I did.

And especially condescending to Mollysmiles, by telling her that in fact, the majority of methadone clinic patients are young affluent nightclub goers.

Call me condescending again, because I did not say that. Do you like to misquote people? or at least you like to misquote me? So you can say things that are not accurate? or are you are reading what you want to read in what I am saying. My statement was that, if I remember it correctly because I COULDN'T FIND IT AGAIN. "I just learn that most new patients were young affluent nightclub goes." I do not remember saying anything about majority. When I said it does not mean, that is in your town, but was meant to say nationwide.

The truth is that first because of confidentiality chances are that we do not know the of people that are going to this clinic. Unless you stand outside the clinic all the open hours. And obviously I do not know about your particular clinic. I am say that you will be surprise as to the type of persons that will be going to those clinics. and I have heard a good number of patients say that methadone had change their life for the better.

I am telling you from what I have learned those patients are not doing anything that should be bothering you. If you think or know that one is selling drugs in the outside of the clinic or doing anything like that. And that is the worse thing I can think might happen. Then you should politely call the clinic staff and tell them that you suspect that is happening, because that is definitely the wrong way to run a clinic. Also a complain that I have heard from patients and have about the clinic system, rather than a primary physician should be treating them. Some patients,and not all, most patients want to get it an go away from the clinic for obvious reason. and most patients do not want nor wish to continua to participate, that is why they are going to treatment. They also know that a patient like that would ruin their treatment. Most well run clinic do not allow for patients to socialized outside without a staff or guard available.

You can say and type whatever wrong thing you might come out of your head I am hard to get pissy. Call me condescending, but I am reading all kinds of stuff that has nothing to do with the subject.And all of that StateCentrisity of comparison has nothing to do with any thing. I have also read some extremely intelligent statement made by what I now assume are people from Main. At the beginning of this thread that made a lot more sense. Get insulted if you wish.. It is just so. You are still misinformed about methadone and it is noted the more and more each time you write about methadone and clinics. Because you seem frustrated at things that can be resolved with some ease.

Methadone still the most effective treatment there is for this population, and if you would truly know the studies you would also agree. I do not know your patients at YOUR TOWNS Clinic, but most of this patients do better on methadone than in any other treatment available (maybe even combine, but don't quote me on that). And that is not my opinion, but the opinion of those people that know what they are say and do research on the subject. Including the AMA, and a number of other medical organization. You do not need to be scare of this patients nor of this treatment. That there are some problems, I am sure there are. There are assets and liabilities in most things. That there is a lot of misinformation and Myth. That is also true. This people are not as dangerous as you guys imagen them to be. You guys are scaring yourselves by your own imagination. An your property value is not going to go down either, like most people think every time someone or something scary moves in their community. I do not know why, but I have actually ever if really seen it happening. Except maybe in Three Mile Island.

You guys are scaring yourself for nothing. You will see in the long run.

Is Main,one of those States that recently open the methadone clinics?, because they did not have them until recently? There were I think 3 states that did not have them. Main was one of them wasn't it? Is that it? Yet what I just read, a good number of those patients where addicted to pharmaceutical. Since they've been in treatment they have "Some of the people here have gotten their kids back from protective services and gotten jobs". To me that is a good begging.

Last edited by FigaroUno; 10-18-2008 at 09:25 PM..

Old 10-19-2008, 06:50 AM

7,392 posts, read 8,336,977 times
No, I really was laughing at YOU. You and your misinformation. You have spent a great deal of time telling us we're misinformed, scared, worried.... yada yada. You have no idea what we do for work, what we have for skills. You've made HUGE assumptions that none of us have ever worked with addicts. You are misinformed, and this entire agenda of yours is silly. I'm not sure what point you intend to make, but using inaccurate information certainly won't help you. You need to be informed about drug treatments in Maine, and maybe that will you prevent you from stigmatizing and jumping to conclusions. You have tried to tell me through your posts what *my* opinion is about these clinics. If you read back through, you will see that I have NEVER said what my opinion is concerning the clinics, and frankly, I'm not really in a position where I could share my opinion about that on a public forum. Suffice it to say, if there were a simple cure for drug addiction we would have few addicts.

I'm done with this thread, and hope that quickly it will become buried. It has become riddled with misinformation.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
No, I really was laughing at YOU. You and your misinformation. You have spent a great deal of time telling us we're misinformed, scared, worried.... yada yada. You have no idea what we do for work, what we have for skills. You've made HUGE assumptions that none of us have ever worked with addicts. You are misinformed, and this entire agenda of yours is silly. I'm not sure what point you intend to make, but using inaccurate information certainly won't help you. You need to be informed about drug treatments in Maine, and maybe that will you prevent you from stigmatizing and jumping to conclusions. You have tried to tell me through your posts what *my* opinion is about these clinics. If you read back through, you will see that I have NEVER said what my opinion is concerning the clinics, and frankly, I'm not really in a position where I could share my opinion about that on a public forum. Suffice it to say, if there were a simple cure for drug addiction we would have few addicts.

I'm done with this thread, and hope that quickly it will become buried. It has become riddled with misinformation.

Sorry, but you are incorrect about your information. Most other treatment are actually not getting much results 3% at best 10% and a lot of wishful thinking. YOu are trying to give yourself like a vitory flag and your are still in error about information about methadone treatment. If that is what you think this is about. It is not, is about finding accurate information about a treatment protocol that most likely your not familiar with.

I looked into the clinic and if it is the correct one it does not ony provide Methadone Treatment, but a whole lot of other medical services that has not to do with Drug Abuse, like dental, mental health etc. Unless you can say anything worth considering it does not seem to be any thing wrong with it. Just because you do not like the treatment, there is no problem with people who go have them and that is where the stigma begins. It is just medication assited treatment, and it is a lot more effective than most other treatment available. It is expensive and most patients pay for it themselves.

All have wanted to do is discredit, but it does not work like that. Because a lot has been said that I have not said, so I know you are not interested and I am not interested in convice you. But your still misinform about methadone and its patients. Include a lot of irrelevancies, and illogical statements.

And I do not see anything specially different about treatment in Main or any other place. Although you might think it is.

You do no sound like you laughing but you are really more angry than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine