Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:07 PM

182 posts, read 490,690 times

Advertisements

X2
I have a pair of rubber boots and a pair of sneakers from Mardens and I think every other item of clothing I have is Goodwill/Salvation Army/Flea Market/Yard Sale or things from work. Which were bought wholesale.

And hey, where on earth is your DW getting ground turkey for under a buck a pound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Goodwill has some wicked good clothing, so does the Salvation Army
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:11 PM

The mods will jump all over my answer. I will DM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Whatcha got?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:29 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
X2
I have a pair of rubber boots and a pair of sneakers from Mardens and I think every other item of clothing I have is Goodwill/Salvation Army/Flea Market/Yard Sale or things from work. Which were bought wholesale.

And hey, where on earth is your DW getting ground turkey for under a buck a pound?
She works at a grocery store in Bangor.

If you are in the store everyday, then you can see when things are being marked down, and if your flexible then perhaps you can take advantage of the opportunities.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 AM

Yes I can see where that would work out.

The best I can do is put the rack on the back of the Jeep and bring an empty cooler on errand runs. That way if I find a deal I can snag a bunch of it.

Quote:
She works at a grocery store in Bangor.

If you are in the store everyday, then you can see when things are being marked down, and if your flexible then perhaps you can take advantage of the opportunities.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:42 PM

124 posts, read 279,864 times
Quote:
Goodwill has some wicked good clothing, so does the Salvation Army

Goodwill and Salvation does have some nice things. Sometimes. However, I have found that by shopping carefully, I can find clothes for my family very cheaply and the clothes are brand new. Tops for my girls at 2 or 3 dollars on clearance. That's better than Goodwill. I never like to pay full price for anything. Frankly, if I can find what I need to feed and dress my family and it's cheaper then the Mom and Pop stores, then that's where I am. While I like to support small area stores, the reality is that I am on a budget.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:30 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-88 View Post
But not everyone wants to shop at Goodwill or the Salvation Army.
True. I can't justify spending so much money on a brand new wool sweater I'm going to ruin in a winter or two. It's not as bad now that I'm not cleaning livestock stalls all winter but I'm still rough on them. I'd rather spend a few dollars at Goodwill and not feel bad about pulls, stains and holes.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 996 times
Default Kindness and information can go a long way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Hog wash. You are going to spend your hard earned money in the cheapest way possible. If you were really concerned about how workers were treated you would probably shop in the small neighborhood grocery stores that hire four or five people and try to pay them a living wage at the same time.

Incidentally, there is a Sam's Club in Portland and one in Bangor as well, and Super Walmarts are about everywhere.

This commentary is ill-informed and frankly offensive. Personally, I miss Costco in large part because of the quality of items and because I have friends who have high quality Costco jobs. Costco provides a livable wage, high quality benefits, and a retirement plan. I have also known many people employed in "Ma and Pa" shops who work for limited wages with few or no benefits, many actually being paid "under the table" which can severely impair workers standard of living in the case of injury or at retirement. I avoid shopping at Sam's Clubs and Walmarts because of the substandard wages and poor treatment of employees, but bring in a Costco and I will quickly shop again at a store I KNOW provides quality employment rather than drawing uninformed conclusions about where I shop.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 PM

506 posts, read 683,488 times
There should be a Costco in the Portland, Augusta, and Bangor areas........they would do well in all of those markets.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:59 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
im sorry,,,ive never been in a costco, so i dont miss it,,,,i think we have more than enough of national chain box stores...

i miss alot of the old independent restaurants that got put out of business by ,,,national chain restaurants

people like cheap....just the way it is

we use to have blue laws,,,where stores on sundays were closed,,,,but the folks who didnt have to work sundays lobbied to be able to shop,,
sundays was the ONE day in retail,,,that you could depend on to have a day off...but again,,,THE PEOPLE WHO DIDNT WORK ON SUNDAYS,,,wanted to shop,,and in affect make all the retail folks work on sunday

i wished i could register my car on sunday..oh,,yes, the state is closed,,,and it wouldnt be fair to make them work,,,on a sunday

opening sunday sales- opened the flood gates for the national box stores, to come to maine.,,which closed alot of small maine businesses- i guess thats progress

Old 08-08-2013, 05:32 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
I know this is an old post but...........I also miss Coscto. Way better than wally or sams and more selection too. I also miss Trader Joes and Big Five.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine