U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:52 AM

283 posts, read 759,541 times

Advertisements

As we are lookiong at our move to Maine we don't know how we'll make it with out Costco! We are not shoppers, but need to feed 4 growing boys and Costco has great quality at great prices. Has anyone heard if Costco is coming to Maine? I know there is one BJs and one Sam's but Costco is a great warehouse. They are very good to their employees with great benefits too.
Thanks!

Last edited by Moxie; 06-03-2007 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 12:50 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,775,986 times
Personally, I think we have a few too many big box stores as it is....

I'm sure, though, that if they decide that the Maine marketplace can support them, they will set up shop quickly enough.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:58 PM

11,168 posts, read 11,278,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
As we are lookiong at our move to Maine we don't know how we'll make it with out Costco! We are not shoppers, but need to feed 4 growing boys and Costco has great quality at great prices. Has anyone heard if Costco is coming to Maine? I know there is one BJs and one Sam's but Costco is a great warehouse. They are very good to their employees with great benefits too.
Thanks!
moxie,,,maybe you should open a costco!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 01:02 PM

Default costco

Yes, I am not much of gal for Walmart's/Sam's way of doing business but Costco has a very good reputation for being worker friendly and treating everyone well. If I am going to spend hard earned money I want worker's treated fairly!

Old 06-03-2007, 01:47 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,627,587 times
Quote:
Yes, I am not much of gal for Walmart's/Sam's way of doing business but Costco has a very good reputation for being worker friendly and treating everyone well. If I am going to spend hard earned money I want worker's treated fairly!
Hog wash. You are going to spend your hard earned money in the cheapest way possible. If you were really concerned about how workers were treated you would probably shop in the small neighborhood grocery stores that hire four or five people and try to pay them a living wage at the same time.

Incidentally, there is a Sam's Club in Portland and one in Bangor as well, and Super Walmarts are about everywhere.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:22 PM

All things in balance I say. I have to feed four kids so I'd like to be able to afford it while also not having folks work for slave wages, not have benefits, and being treated badly. I did say I was aware of Sam's Club, but prefer Costco because of their worker's quality of life. There are some buisnesses that do run things cost efficiently while paying a fair wage and providing a good environment.
Our family is a thrifty bunch already, driving old cars, buying used clothes and household goods, etc. We also fix our broken items rather than buy new when at all possible. And while I am an excellent scratch cook, I am just not industrious enough to raise and slaughter my own animals.

Last edited by Moxie; 06-03-2007 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-03-2007, 04:10 PM

4,917 posts, read 7,534,246 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Hi Moxie,

We currently also live in NC and are moving to Maine next year. I know this has nothing to do with your question, but may I ask what's making you decide to move to Maine? PM me if you'd like . Thanks!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:25 PM

7,392 posts, read 8,547,882 times
I love Sam's Club....I don't know how the workers are treated, but at Sam's in Bangor there are people who have been there for a long while. When we lived in Bangor we shopped there every 10 days or so (I have 4 kids) and people got to know us by sight, then by name--very friendly. Now we've been gone from Bangor for 8 years in July, and of course there's been turn-over of employees, but there are still some old faces that smile at us and remember us!

Old 06-03-2007, 06:19 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,829,956 times
There is also a very busy Sam's Club in Augusta. And I think there's one in Lewiston or Auburn, yes?

Old 06-03-2007, 06:24 PM

90 posts, read 249,756 times
I'm a Costco regular and will miss the place when I move to Maine this fall. I'd gladly trade two Sam's or ChinaMarts for one Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine