Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2006, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,467 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have feedback about Unity? My family is thinking about relocating there from MA. I am interested in schools systems, cultural events and organic farming. I think there is a pretty large organic farming community in the area.

many thanks,
Camille
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,572,782 times
NIce little town and yes it is a granola tree hugger type town. dont forget your birkenstocks!

Old 11-10-2006, 06:43 PM

15 posts, read 65,942 times
Default revive this thread

My husband recently applied for a job in Unity, and we are thinking of going there. I really like the community events that I've seen on-line. Is it really as nice as it seems? I like the barnraisers org. that I read about and the farmers market, but is there really enough people to keep such groups active? I hope there are a few Unity-ers (?) around to answer my questions!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,540 times
Default Unity = Community

I moved to Unity almost four years ago from the Philadelphia area and love living here. Although Unity is primarily known as the home of the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association, which hosts the annual "Common Ground Fair" attracting approximately 75,000 visitors each fall - there is far more to recommend it. The town is a wonderful combination of lifelong residents and folks from "away." It is the cite of Unity College, "America's Environmental College," where the entire curriculum has an environmental education focus. The College celebrated its 65 anniversary last year and is gaining in reputation.

For a small town (approximately 2000 residents) Unity has many interesting features: a performing arts center which hosts mostly musical performances year round; a large and clean lake with a lovely public beach area; a town park which borders the lake and has a track as well as playing fields and a children's play area; four local restaurants; a B&B, a health center, a quality grocery store, pharmacy and vet clinic. We also have a raceway and a community center which houses a gym.

The local grass roots community organization - Unity Barn Raisers - focuses on Unity and the surrounding towns and advocates for responsible development, sustainable farming and quality of life for everyone. The UBR has been successful in creating an inclusive community by sponsoring a farmers market and "all community meals," held each month, at a very reasonable cost.

The grammar school in town is excellent and the larger school district is also quite good. Construction for a new high school was recently begun.

If you are looking for a place where you can make a difference, get to know your neighbors and find support for living with nature, this is a special place to live.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:38 AM

177 posts, read 107,518 times
Just saw this older post but wanted to agree with Artemis714 about Unity...it is a great little town with lots to do and a real sense of community. Unity Pond (really a lake) is wonderful as are the Farmer's Market, performing arts center, train rides, and scenery. We found the people in Unity friendly and accepting of others. There is a great lttle B & B there if you want to visit the town...the Copper Heron right in the center.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:43 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,066,569 times
Talking see Down East Magazine, May 2007

the new Down East has an excellent article on Unity this month. It tells more than I ever could, having only been there a handful of times! I'm not sure if it's available online or not, but their site is www.downeast.com Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine