Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,381,548 times

Advertisements

Ive been thinking, if the quimbys want that protection passed, why are they pushing a for a national park. While it will get resentment from me and others no matter what, i would see a national forest having much more support as they allow

-snowmobiling
-logging
-hunting
-trapping
-bush wacking (off trail travel)

these are all banned in National Parks to a very large degree, but not in national forests. I could see this getting passed very easily if it was to be a National Forest, as although it still screws over the locals, it does it a hell of a lot less.

Only thing i could see is that a National Forest attracts less people, which is a plus in my book, as well as many others, as alot of yuppies equate them with wilderness (which would be another good option if they wanted to limit development).

IMHO she seems to not realize the kind of vandalism and disgrace done to our national parks by holligans such as what sparked this thought once more (the link at the bottom of the page). There are plenty of N.F. Which allow logging, the only risk would be if logging was banned from N.F. which is unlikely to happen, as most people know that we need wood to survive, even if they are pushing that pot-paper, you cant make a house out of hemp...

Woman banned from national parks during 2-year probation for defacing rock formations | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 02:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,622,949 times
A very thoughtful post, TheKezarWoodsman with pertinent questions and a few misassumptions. I'll start with the question.:

"Why are they pushing for a national park."

Because is the most highly restricted of any land classification in our country. You see, their long term goal is "no human use" and this is the biggest step they can make in that direction right now.

New England was largely clear cut in the 1870s. It looked almost like Haiti does today because everybody used wood for heating and cooking. We had such a wood shortage that thousands of families simply left. We had no coal, oil, propane, natural gas or electricity except in some of the larger cities.

The government saw this as such an emergency that it created national forests. The sole purpose of national forests was to provide timber and water power for industry. Of course secondary benefits were that they provided regular employment for people living nearby.

Fast forward to the present. The national forests have been mismanaged so completely that they no longer serve their lawful purposes. They do not provide water power for industry and they rarely provide timber for commerce. This is such an abrogation of government responsibility that places like the White Mountain National Forest should be auctioned off so they could become contributors to our economy again. Not only has government blundered in their responsibilities, it has deliberately sabotaged the work done by our forefathers to build roads and dams. The NPS is tearing out old bridges and making old roads impassable.

"There are plenty of N.F. Which allow logging."

Not true. We are forced to import lumber into our country because nearly all of our national forests are off limits for their lawful purposes. Guess what? A fire truck cannot jump a ditch where a bridge used to be. Whether it is government mismanagement or eco-fascism as in the case of Quimby, always remember that their long term goal is "no human use". Anything that moves in that direction is liked. Anything that improves citizen access is opposed. In fact, public lands are so mismanaged that they burn down on a regular basis. Private lands in the West are not the lands burning up today. Just turn on the TV tonight. Those people losing their homes are losing them because they are prohibitd from trimming highly combustible fuel away from their homes.

Which direction are we headed today? There are no paper or pulp mills operating in the entire Penobscot River watershed. It makes environmentalists very happy because their ultimate goal is no human use. Another term for it is rural cleansing. No jobs means no people. It makes them happy.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:39 PM

7,487 posts, read 10,460,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It makes environmentalists very happy because their ultimate goal is no human use. Another term for it is rural cleansing. No jobs means no people. It makes them happy.
NMLM, you always state that those responsible for this type of thinking are "environmentalists". And I agree, the enviro-nazis do think along these lines.

Yet you never mention the UN, or Agenda 21. If you look it up, you will immediately recognize the source of all evil. The idea is to force humanity into cramped urban areas, and cordon off all rural areas for wildlife habitat with (as you say) "no human use". That assumes no (private) agricultural use.

If you don't burn off the stump of the head of the Hydra, a thousand heads spring from the stump.

"Control the food supply, and you control the people." - Henry Kissinger

Old 06-23-2016, 05:04 PM

I have been in this fight since I got back from Vietnam and Cambodia. I was working with Dr. Mike Coffman when he had a copy of the Biodiversity Treaty flown from Switzerland to Washington and he personally placed it on Senator George Mitchell's desk. This was the book the environmental industry swore in Congress that did not exist. I also have a copy of the UN book, Agenda 21 with the orange cover. It too came out of Switzerland. Environmentalism is a religion. These people worship Gaia. The big blue 3 inch thick book is their bible and the orange Agenda 21 book is their catechism.

Right here in Maine we have Gateway 1, which is a plan to make US Route 1 part of the "greenway" going all the way to Key West. They want a one mile strip to prevent any development in their zone and also to prioritize the removal of all traces of our communities except for certain quaint and scenic areas.

I have studied these people and their agenda for 40 years. Their short term goal is rural cleansing. Their long term goal is too scary for suppertime.

We should have a coffee sometime.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:43 PM

37,331 posts, read 61,161,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Ive been thinking, if the quimbys want that protection passed, why are they pushing a for a national park. While it will get resentment from me and others no matter what, i would see a national forest having much more support as they allow

-snowmobiling
-logging
-hunting
-trapping
-bush wacking (off trail travel)

these are all banned in National Parks to a very large degree, but not in national forests.
Quimby has banned access to her land, for all of those purposes. She does not want the public, nor her neighbors to do those things.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:05 AM

Roxanne does allow one trail through her land to get from Medway to Shin Pond.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:06 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,195,572 times
Hi! Hope you're all having a non-political ideal summer. Just jumped in to further affirm the malarkey alerts. Agenda 21 is a big fat lie perpetrated by Glenn Beck and others. A little intelligent research confirms this, and most of the other statements above are simply parroted repetitions by misguided, politically motivated individuals that fervently believe the misinformation. Makes for GREAT VOM-it radio airtime, though, and sells a lot of advertising, don't it? Here's the long-ago debunking of the Agenda 21 hogwash: https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-ag...pulation.t363/

Old 06-24-2016, 11:01 AM

I'm at camp. The books, published by the UN, are at home. I'll post the ISBN numbers when I get a chance.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:12 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,195,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Quimby has banned access to her land, for all of those purposes. She does not want the public, nor her neighbors to do those things.
Ah, no she hasn't. St. Claire has opened large areas to fishing, hiking, BEAR HUNTING and other pursuits. Can't hang onto to TGTL preferential tax treatment without some timber management, either. Some areas are closed to hunting and trapping. Less restrictive than Baxter State Park. Not defending the National Park thing. I'm still not convinced either way, but I've never been a big follower of conspiracy theories and, like most intelligent locals, I try to parse reality from propaganda that flows like goose tud through a hot tin horn from both sides. Blind followers just parrot. "We NEED a National Park . . ." and "AGENDA 21!!" are examples from both sides.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:58 AM

Under Maine law, a person has the right to go on the property of someone else to "fish or fowl. That dates back hundreds of years. Lucas cannot stop people from fishing the East Branch. He can, however, prevent people from using the traditional campsites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine