U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,654 posts, read 27,573,754 times
Reputation: 8682
Default New map with 6,000 miles of ATV trails in Maine

The Maine.gov website has announced that the new Maine ATV Trail Map is now available.

Maine's Bureau of Parks and Lands presents a new map, featuring 6,000 miles of three-season ATV trails throughout Maine.

It is available to be mailed out this week to ATV clubs and dealers statewide.

Maine Bureau of Parks & Lands: ATV Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2010, 02:41 PM
 
Location: MidCoast Maine
436 posts, read 299,176 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The Maine.gov website has announced that the new Maine ATV Trail Map is now available.

Maine's Bureau of Parks and Lands presents a new map, featuring 6,000 miles of three-season ATV trails throughout Maine.

It is available to be mailed out this week to ATV clubs and dealers statewide.

Maine Bureau of Parks & Lands: ATV Program

That's awesome info, thanks for the heads-up, Forest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Belfast, Maine
277 posts, read 526,763 times
Reputation: 144
Great! I have two ATV's and there seems to be very limited riding in my area. Mostly we end up just riding around in gravel pits for a bit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,654 posts, read 27,573,754 times
Reputation: 8682
I am glad that I can serve a purpose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Northern Maine
6,137 posts, read 7,810,855 times
Reputation: 4142
In Maine you can ride 100 miles to the ocean, put your tires in salt water, have a fine pie at Helen's and ride back - legally. There is no other place in the USA where you can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 08:20 PM
 
8,748 posts, read 11,364,442 times
Reputation: 3406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In Maine you can ride 100 miles to the ocean, put your tires in salt water, have a fine pie at Helen's and ride back - legally. There is no other place in the USA where you can do that.
I only have to ride two miles to put my tires in the salt water! Though I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that! It's also reassuring to know that Helen's fine pie is legal! People from here(Southern Maine) think ATV stands for "Altering The View!"
ATV's are frowned upon around here except on, designated ATV trails, powerlines and sandpits. Since most snowmobile trails are on private land in southern Maine ATV's are not allowed on the sled trails as they tear them up too much. There are quite a few designated ATV trails in southern Maine and the sport is growing. With the amount of snow we seem to get around here I'd consider putting my recreational vehicle funds in to an ATV rather than tying up $25,000 on two sleds and a trailer! At least you can haul wood with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Belfast, Maine
277 posts, read 526,763 times
Reputation: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I only have to ride two miles to put my tires in the salt water! Though I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that! It's also reassuring to know that Helen's fine pie is legal! People from here(Southern Maine) think ATV stands for "Altering The View!"
ATV's are frowned upon around here except on, designated ATV trails, powerlines and sandpits. Since most snowmobile trails are on private land in southern Maine ATV's are not allowed on the sled trails as they tear them up too much. There are quite a few designated ATV trails in southern Maine and the sport is growing. With the amount of snow we seem to get around here I'd consider putting my recreational vehicle funds in to an ATV rather than tying up $25,000 on two sleds and a trailer! At least you can haul wood with it!
Same thing around here, lots of snowmobile trails but most are off limits to ATV's. Hopefully the sport will continue to grow and people will be respectful to homeowners and their land...which would really help the sport grow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 03:09 AM
 
Location: 43.55N 69.58W
3,231 posts, read 4,741,518 times
Reputation: 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I only have to ride two miles to put my tires in the salt water! Though I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that! It's also reassuring to know that Helen's fine pie is legal! People from here(Southern Maine) think ATV stands for "Altering The View!"
ATV's are frowned upon around here except on, designated ATV trails, powerlines and sandpits. Since most snowmobile trails are on private land in southern Maine ATV's are not allowed on the sled trails as they tear them up too much. There are quite a few designated ATV trails in southern Maine and the sport is growing. With the amount of snow we seem to get around here I'd consider putting my recreational vehicle funds in to an ATV rather than tying up $25,000 on two sleds and a trailer! At least you can haul wood with it!
And with the amount of snow that Maine didn't see this year, unless you are willing to travel quite a ways north, sleds are pretty useless in Southern Maine anyway. I feel bad for the county as they didn't receive as much as they usually do either. There are however snowmobile races up in Greenville TODAY. National level. I asked my son what they'll be racing on today, he replied ice and mud and that it's too late to cancel them on at this point. Normally they'd still have plenty of snow there and up in the county too at this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
Same thing around here, lots of snowmobile trails but most are off limits to ATV's. Hopefully the sport will continue to grow and people will be respectful to homeowners and their land...which would really help the sport grow!
IMO, people that ride ATV's aren't generally as respectful to landowners, hence the reason they aren't allowed on the snowmobile trails. A lot of volunteer time and real money go into maintaining the ITS & club trails. It seems as though most ATV'ers are of the younger generation and aren't always mature enough to understand the damage they create while riding other peoples land. In that, they should have their own trail riding system. I have nothing against the sport itself or the people that use them however. To each his own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 06:01 AM
 
8,748 posts, read 11,364,442 times
Reputation: 3406
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post


IMO, people that ride ATV's aren't generally as respectful to landowners, hence the reason they aren't allowed on the snowmobile trails. A lot of volunteer time and real money go into maintaining the ITS & club trails. It seems as though most ATV'ers are of the younger generation and aren't always mature enough to understand the damage they create while riding other peoples land. In that, they should have their own trail riding system. I have nothing against the sport itself or the people that use them however. To each his own!
At the risk of sounding snobbish I tend to agree with you.
ATVs really tear up the land and land owners do not like them. On my wife's family land here (over 100 acres) my FIL allows limited snow machine use but does not allow ATV's at all. He owns three of them and he won't even ride them around here until late summer when there is little chance of disturbung the ground. Occasionally someone will sneak into the woods in the spring and rut up the snow machine trail . He gets VERY angry when that happens.
I don't own one though I would like to have one for just hauling firewood out of the woods. I wouldn't be using it as a sport vehicle. I prefer a dirtbike in the woods for sport riding. The single track is almost indistinguishable from a mountain bike (bicycle) track in most cases and does far less damage to the trails than 4 wheeled vehicles.
To each his own indeed and there should be trails designed for ATV's to use as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 04:10 PM
 
2,299 posts, read 3,811,916 times
Reputation: 3617
Of the 12,000 miles of snowmobile trails in our state, only 2% of them are on public lands. Organized ATV clubs, it seems, are the answer to help "police" the irresponsible boneheads and coordinate with the private landowners and address any of their concerns.
It sure has worked in this part of the state.
__________________
Sileo in pacis matris.
-----------
Terms of Service
FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top