Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:54 PM

121 posts, read 319,371 times

Advertisements

So it's definite. We are moving to Maine. But where? I'm seriously considering Camden, Belfast and Boothbay Harbor. Do any of these places have what we're looking for? Where might we find these things:
A neighborhood, where kids go Trick or Treating, you can visit your neighbors ( without taking the car ), you can walk your dog.
You have a grocery store within 5 or 8 miles.
You can get fresh milk and eggs from neighborhood farms ( or at least close by ).
We don't want CITY, but we don't want to feel isolated.
Does this place exist. We are coming to Maine soon to choose where to live and don't want to waste time looking at places that wouldn't be right for us. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 05:05 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,191,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSisters View Post
So it's definite. We are moving to Maine. But where? I'm seriously considering Camden, Belfast and Boothbay Harbor. Do any of these places have what we're looking for? Where might we find these things:
A neighborhood, where kids go Trick or Treating, you can visit your neighbors ( without taking the car ), you can walk your dog.
You have a grocery store within 5 or 8 miles.
You can get fresh milk and eggs from neighborhood farms ( or at least close by ).
We don't want CITY, but we don't want to feel isolated.
Does this place exist. We are coming to Maine soon to choose where to live and don't want to waste time looking at places that wouldn't be right for us. THANKS!
Non of those places are what you would call cities. They are all very nice. everything you mentioned is there, well, maybe not the milk. Belfast would be the cheaper/least expensive locale to buy into. It's quite nice by the way.

I can still remember the broiler festivals there.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:29 PM

47,840 posts, read 21,871,995 times
I am sure it exists in many places all over Maine. It sure sounds like Gorham. But I bet it sounds like Pittsfield or Gardiner or hundreds of towns across the state of Maine. Good Luck to you. When you find home.....you will know it.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 PM

The problem is money. The more I spend going from New Mexico to Maine the less I have to spend on a house. That's why I want some idea of where to look.
Moving with a Mom with Alzheimers I want to get settled as quickly as possible.
I just need to know where I might want to look. I found a lovely house online in Alna. Where the heck is Alna? Is it near anything that might have a grocery store? I just need some direction.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:55 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,851,239 times
Quote:
The problem is money. The more I spend going from New Mexico to Maine the less I have to spend on a house. That's why I want some idea of where to look.
Moving with a Mom with Alzheimers I want to get settled as quickly as possible.
I just need to know where I might want to look. I found a lovely house online in Alna. Where the heck is Alna? Is it near anything that might have a grocery store? I just need some direction.

Alna is less than 20 minutes from Damariscotta where you will find grocery stores and lots of cute little shops. Damariscotta also has a nice little hospital right on the edge of the harbor. Very picturesque area, and one of my favorite places.

If we didn't have to worry about jobs, we would have a hard time choosing between Belfast and Damariscotta.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:12 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,191,832 times
Alna is nice and in a nice location.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:17 PM

3,668 posts, read 7,355,117 times
Quote:
So it's definite. We are moving to Maine.

I'm just curious why?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:53 PM

It's just right. I feel it in my heart. We considered Oregon and Washington, I just got a sinking feeling every time I thought aout actually living there. Even though we have family in both states. The people in Maine ( even just from this forum) are the best. I can see the potential hardships in Maine ( WINTER, cost of heating fuel, property tax, etc) . It all seems worth it to us.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 PM

I see Elcarim as my example. She had the determination to make it in Maine, and she has. Life is good and she's happy. We will be too!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,624,400 times
And we did too! You might want to look at Bangor/Old Town area as well. But then I am prejudiced....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine