Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 04:12 AM

45 posts, read 109,411 times

Advertisements

I read an article in the BDN about saltwater fishing licensing in Maine. I've been involved in saltwater fishing more than others. I can remember when the chatter first surfaced in Rhode Island about doing just that on a state scale. It seems that the people were smart enough to know that millions of sportfishing dollars would be spent elsewhere and it never became. The threat of the federal license still looms. I don't think Maine would suffer as severe consequences as RI would as far as lost commerce, But I'm really surprised that Maine has offered to blaze the trail here. Any thought as to where this stroke of genius began?
State licenses for saltwater fishing OK'd - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/139904.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,367 times
From what I gather the Legislature figures they may as well cash in on it because the Feds are going to do it and keep the money. If Maine does it then they get to keep (spend) the money themselves. That will cut short the impromptu fishing and buying of gear in town(s).

Old 03-27-2010, 06:14 AM

There's a whole lot of party boats or head boats as well as six pack charter boats in Maine. I think the Bunny Clark is probably the most famous. Check their website! Other local businesses reap the benefits due to the existence of these boats. Lodging, restaurants, fuel companys,tackle shops and on and on... My thought are that the New Hampshire boats are fishing the same water as the majority of Maine boats. Northern Jefferey's Ledge. I wonder if the Maine boats and businesses are going to find themselves "on the rocks" when the money stops at the border because you can fish the same water without a licence in NH?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:58 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
I read an article in the BDN about saltwater fishing licensing in Maine. I've been involved in saltwater fishing more than others. I can remember when the chatter first surfaced in Rhode Island about doing just that on a state scale. It seems that the people were smart enough to know that millions of sportfishing dollars would be spent elsewhere and it never became. The threat of the federal license still looms. I don't think Maine would suffer as severe consequences as RI would as far as lost commerce, But I'm really surprised that Maine has offered to blaze the trail here. Any thought as to where this stroke of genius began?
State licenses for saltwater fishing OK'd - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/139904.html - broken link)
political wisdom= tax for an instant quarter-but lose 5000 long term dimes

Old 03-27-2010, 12:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times
The National license is here now! The license this year consists of giving your name and address to NOAA to be recorded in the National Saltwater Angler Registry. I have already signed up and there is no charge THIS YEAR. Wardens ARE telling smelt dippers and others who are fishing the brackish tidal streams they must go online and register. You then have an oppurtunity to print out a temporary registration card. A permanent card is supposed to be mailed to registrants sometime soon. This is a National registry and no State will be exempt. Whether they want to charge for the registry is up to the legislature of that state. As I said there is NO CHARGE to register directly with NOAA this year.
https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/register/

Last edited by Maineah; 03-27-2010 at 01:05 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 05:53 AM

88 posts, read 221,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The National license is here now! The license this year consists of giving your name and address to NOAA to be recorded in the National Saltwater Angler Registry. I have already signed up and there is no charge THIS YEAR. Wardens ARE telling smelt dippers and others who are fishing the brackish tidal streams they must go online and register. You then have an oppurtunity to print out a temporary registration card. A permanent card is supposed to be mailed to registrants sometime soon. This is a National registry and no State will be exempt. Whether they want to charge for the registry is up to the legislature of that state. As I said there is NO CHARGE to register directly with NOAA this year.
https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/register/
I live in CT and we had to buy the saltwater lic this year 10 bucks I think I paid 6 because I bought it with my freshwater lic. If I come to Maine and fish salt water do I need to do anything?

Old 03-28-2010, 06:33 AM

783 posts, read 1,574,231 times
Default ?

The maine.gov site says, "Saltwater angling licenses are not required for recreational saltwater angling." Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Fishing Licenses

Old 03-28-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
The maine.gov site says, "Saltwater angling licenses are not required for recreational saltwater angling." Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Fishing Licenses
That will have to be updated as the Coastal Wardens (Who are not under jurisdiction of IF&W by the way)are telling fishermen they have to go register online at the Noaa site I posted above. They are not calling it a license this year just a registration. It's Federal not State and they have a walk through asking what kind of fishing you plan to do and where. In the end MOST people will have to register.
Maine is struggling with the symantics and they might lose their ability to charge for the Salt Water licenses by dragging their feet in Augusta.
The Licenses are here now. The Coastal Wardens are telling people they are mandatory and how to get them. I'm not going to argue with the Coastal Wardens as I have found over the years they don't give many warnings. I have the license in my wallet. Feel free to ignore the warnings if you so desire.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill95 View Post
I live in CT and we had to buy the saltwater lic this year 10 bucks I think I paid 6 because I bought it with my freshwater lic. If I come to Maine and fish salt water do I need to do anything?
You should be good I believe. I don't know if it was the same where you signed up in CT but the NOAA site asks you what states you intend to saltwater fish in. You can list just one or pick them all. They're looking for a general count on who is fishing the intercoastal waters. There has been little in the way of licensing and regulation in these waters and naturally those who have traditionally fished these waters where no licensing was required are angry and rebellious in some cases when asked to register or in some states to actually pay to register.
It is a natural reaction to more red tape and big brotherism from the Feds. Get used to it or look into voting in candidates who believe in Less regulation and Smaller government. Many who do not pay attention to politics brush off creeping government intrusion until it hits something they happen to do or care about. When they finally wake up to the reality of the situation it's usually too late to do anything about it. Government only has the rights the people give them.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:42 PM

As long as I can remember buying fishing licenses, duck stamps, hunting licenses and such all contributed to the sustenance of the represented entity. Somehow the dollars became the driving force of programs such as stocking fish in our streams and lakes and pheasants in our fields and created jobs at fish hatcheries and educational programs like the hunter safety coarse and of coarse paid for an eye in the sky provided by the boys in green. Will sombody please tell me how a state saltwater fishing license is going to better the arena? As long as I can remember there were already a bunch of jerks in charge of this. They go by the name of the National Marine Fisheries Sevice or NMFS for short. Or if their title is a little to broad for some lets narrow it down to the Northeast Regional Office or NERO. This cluster of geniuses decided to blame the commercial overfishing of cod on recreational anglers with fishing rods and a couple of sixpacks on small boats here and there to sustain their unquenchable greed. I attended meetings and actually saw these rocket scientist up at the podium showing that over the last year there was a three hundredths of a percent increase in egg production of cod and their charts showed that by 2012 there would be so much fish they would be washing up on the beach. Then I heard the bell just like you hear at post time at a horse race and the diesels started and they finished them off in a years time. It sickened me. I left this with bad thoughts but I had another chamber in my gun. If they killed all the cod I still could go out on a boat and catch a bunch of Pollack when we wanted to get the boys together and enjoy our natural resources. This is not over... But let me ask you.. How is the state going to better this arena with money that they are extorting from you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine