Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:49 PM

7 posts, read 11,255 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to visit Maine. I don't know why, but for a very long time. The past several years I have done lots of research on Maine and everything. I believe Bangor or some of the surrounding towns will suit my wife and I best. We are from Texas I grew up in a small hick town called Lufkin, and once I was married ( I am 22 now) I moved to San Antonio. I hate it here. I hate the miserable heat of texas. I have felt the cold of the north once before, and I love it (dead of winter in Pittsburgh PA)
My wife and I are planning a vacation for May to travel by car from San Antonio too Maine. All over Maine. This just ins't a vacation.... it is a chance for myself, and my wife of course to venture into maine (all over maine) and see what regions we like the most so we can plan our permeant stay. I have did my homework somewhat, and this forum has been tons of help, but I think I am going to love Bangor the most... we will see in a couple of months. We are making a lot of stops between San Antonio and the borders Maine. Actually the entire trip is going to take us 39 days to complete. We wont even see Maine until the 14th day of our trip. After Maine we are heading to stay a few days with some of our friends in Pittsburgh, PA.
So not to prolonge any longer: I was wondering if 15 days is enough time to travel over most of Maine? Now I know once I decide the places I want to visit in Maine; this will make the knowing how many days practical, but until then I want to ask some of the locals that know the area of maine if 15days is enough time to actually have fun, while getting a sense and feel of the place as well.

We are going to be coming up from Salem, MA into Maine... go see some lighthouses (I love lighthouses) upon the coast, go to Portland, Acadia National Park, Bangor, Moosehead Lake, and all the other little/small towns in between before leaving Northwestern Maine for Niagara Falls.
So.... should I devote more days to Maine, or is 15 enough?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:25 AM

300 posts, read 757,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemorgan2 View Post
I have always wanted to visit Maine. I don't know why, but for a very long time. The past several years I have done lots of research on Maine and everything. I believe Bangor or some of the surrounding towns will suit my wife and I best. We are from Texas I grew up in a small hick town called Lufkin, and once I was married ( I am 22 now) I moved to San Antonio. I hate it here. I hate the miserable heat of texas. I have felt the cold of the north once before, and I love it (dead of winter in Pittsburgh PA)
My wife and I are planning a vacation for May to travel by car from San Antonio too Maine. All over Maine. This just ins't a vacation.... it is a chance for myself, and my wife of course to venture into maine (all over maine) and see what regions we like the most so we can plan our permeant stay. I have did my homework somewhat, and this forum has been tons of help, but I think I am going to love Bangor the most... we will see in a couple of months. We are making a lot of stops between San Antonio and the borders Maine. Actually the entire trip is going to take us 39 days to complete. We wont even see Maine until the 14th day of our trip. After Maine we are heading to stay a few days with some of our friends in Pittsburgh, PA.
So not to prolonge any longer: I was wondering if 15 days is enough time to travel over most of Maine? Now I know once I decide the places I want to visit in Maine; this will make the knowing how many days practical, but until then I want to ask some of the locals that know the area of maine if 15days is enough time to actually have fun, while getting a sense and feel of the place as well.

We are going to be coming up from Salem, MA into Maine... go see some lighthouses (I love lighthouses) upon the coast, go to Portland, Acadia National Park, Bangor, Moosehead Lake, and all the other little/small towns in between before leaving Northwestern Maine for Niagara Falls.
So.... should I devote more days to Maine, or is 15 enough?

Thanks in advance...
Congrats to you, I hope you like it. There are a great many more areas you may like other than Bangor. when I first planned to move here I thought it would be to Bangor, but am glad it did not turn out that way.

And 15 should be plenty. Make sure you get a chance to go to Eastport, it is very nice up there.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:41 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
No offense, diablogun, but I think shanemorgan2 and his wife will want more time to explore Maine. Sure, they can see quite a bit in 15 days, but I have a feeling that once they get to Maine they will end up wishing they had more time there.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:29 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We likewise made our decision to come to Maine without ever having been to Maine. From what we were seeing it seemed obvious that Maine would be the best place for us.

We are very happy with our decision to settle in Maine

Most of what we have seen since moving here, has further re-enforced that we made the right decision.

Is 15-days long enough? Could be.

A brief cursory tour of Maine's regions, to get a general feel for the people and the areas.

A 39-day road-trip is a lot of driving.

Were you thinking of bringing a tent and sleeping bags; and a motel every couple days? Or were you figuring on doing motels every night?

When I was coming to Maine shopping for land, I came up for 1-week at a time. realtors really kept me busy, driving around back-and-forth, looking at properties. I put a lot of miles on my car. I tried to avoid motels to keep my expenses low. However with all of that driving was the first time that I began experiencing back problems.

What are your thoughts in this regard?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:38 AM

300 posts, read 757,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
No offense, diablogun, but I think shanemorgan2 and his wife will want more time to explore Maine. Sure, they can see quite a bit in 15 days, but I have a feeling that once they get to Maine they will end up wishing they had more time there.
No offense taken :-)

When I came out before moving, I only had ten days to check it out. However, the job offer I got ended up being in an area I didn't even visit! One year later I couldn't be happier.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
forest beekeeper asks:
"However with all of that driving was the first time that I began experiencing back problems.

What are your thoughts in this regard?"

I find that Icy Hot works better than Ben Gay.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
forest beekeeper asks:
"However with all of that driving was the first time that I began experiencing back problems.

I prefer Biofreeze.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:06 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
forest beekeeper asks:

meh, he's only 22, what does he know of back problems now?

Welcome! I think 15 days is better than none.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:09 PM

42 posts, read 90,875 times
Hot water bottle! With a soft cover!

Old 03-29-2010, 02:21 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablogun View Post
Congrats to you, I hope you like it. There are a great many more areas you may like other than Bangor. when I first planned to move here I thought it would be to Bangor, but am glad it did not turn out that way.

And 15 should be plenty. Make sure you get a chance to go to Eastport, it is very nice up there.
Eastport is pretty, but there won't be any employment there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine