Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:50 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,565,800 times

Advertisements

April 1 in my opinion means winter is over! We may get some snow (I've seen a foot or more in April) though it melts fast and soon all the greenery will start sprouting again! The birds are coming back, fishing season opens(all of it).The nights will soon stay above freezing, no more large oil purchases, minimal wood useage, from here on out it's all down hill until next fall. The towns will wake up, yard sales will give way to festivals culminating in agricultural fairs in the fall and the cycle will start over again.....and so it begins. Have a nice spring everyone! Enjoy this pretty, yet short, time and relax....you made it through another winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,557,799 times
And this weekend is that magic time when most of the back roads are dry enough to travel on and the black flies are not out yet. Take advantage of it. Month after next the days start getting shorter and before you know it we'll be snowmobiling again.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 PM

7 posts, read 11,169 times
Thats funny to hear this. I find that there are 10months that are horrible here in Texas. December-January can be nice... if it gets cold at nights, but the heat+humidity here is just miserable. The Texas heat drains everything from your body, especially May-August. I have my AC and fan on my right now and it feels nice. So I would rather have 4bad months instead of 10.... just depends on if ya like the cold weather or hot weather. I love the cold. I visited Pittsburgh PA last year in February. It felt like I was breathing through a straw. I LOVED IT. I can always build a fire, turn the heat on, put more clothes on, and try and get warm. You can only take off so many clothes before your put in jail... and it still doesn't help escape the heat

Old 03-31-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemorgan2 View Post
Thats funny to hear this. I find that there are 10months that are horrible here in Texas. December-January can be nice... if it gets cold at nights, but the heat+humidity here is just miserable. The Texas heat drains everything from your body, especially May-August. I have my AC and fan on my right now and it feels nice. So I would rather have 4bad months instead of 10.... just depends on if ya like the cold weather or hot weather. I love the cold. I visited Pittsburgh PA last year in February. It felt like I was breathing through a straw. I LOVED IT. I can always build a fire, turn the heat on, put more clothes on, and try and get warm. You can only take off so many clothes before your put in jail... and it still doesn't help escape the heat
There are many people who feel the same way until they get here and experience cold first hand. A good many figure the heat "isn't so bad" after putting up with the weather from September through May around here and head back south. That's nine months of not so warm to down right frigid weather. It's 40 degrees out side right now and I'd be willing to bet you would not be comfortable sitting outside for more than a few minutes. By morning you'd be in hypothermia. On the other hand I can sleep outside when it's 70 degrees at night quite well.
I suppose one is as bad as the other though cold will kill you outright in a hurry where heat will kill you slowly. I wouldn't want either one as a steady diet.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,701,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
There are many people who feel the same way until they get here and experience cold first hand. A good many figure the heat "isn't so bad" after putting up with the weather from September through May around here and head back south. That's nine months of not so warm to down right frigid weather. It's 40 degrees out side right now and I'd be willing to bet you would not be comfortable sitting outside for more than a few minutes. By morning you'd be in hypothermia. On the other hand I can sleep outside when it's 70 degrees at night quite well.
I suppose one is as bad as the other though cold will kill you outright in a hurry where heat will kill you slowly. I wouldn't want either one as a steady diet.

I think I will agree that the cold of Maine is the real deal, and might lose its sparkle after a bit. However, I do know a few people who do better in cold than heat. I wouldn't put myself in that camp, but the last few summers in Oregon, when it gets above 100F, I start to feel physically ill. Cold, bracing days on the other hand feel invigorating. However, -20F with a stiff wind is more than bracing.....What does sound nice about Maine, in comparison to Oregon, is the bright winter days. Our winter, though kind of long, are not very cold, but gloomy for days on end, with not enough snow to brighten things up. Snow rolled through this week, and it was gorgeous.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:02 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,625,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think I will agree that the cold of Maine is the real deal, and might lose its sparkle after a bit. However, I do know a few people who do better in cold than heat. I wouldn't put myself in that camp, but the last few summers in Oregon, when it gets above 100F, I start to feel physically ill. Cold, bracing days on the other hand feel invigorating. However, -20F with a stiff wind is more than bracing.....What does sound nice about Maine, in comparison to Oregon, is the bright winter days. Our winter, though kind of long, are not very cold, but gloomy for days on end, with not enough snow to brighten things up. Snow rolled through this week, and it was gorgeous.
Well I am definitely in that camp (preferring cold to heat), and yes, you can only take off so much before getting in trouble with the law. LOL I am hoping that this year's mild winter doesn't precede a very un-Maine-like summer.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 AM

I think we're in for a warm summer here in Maine.The sunspots are back and that usually means warmer weather all the way around. Anything would be better than the wet, gloomy, cold summer we had last year. 53 degrees in July! We've already had a year's worth of rain this spring! A friend of mine in Cumberland's basement flooded for the first time in 25 years yesterday. The lakes and ponds are filled to overflowing!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,187,008 times
The most beautiful nights of the year in Maine are powder snow, windless, cloudless, subzero, full moon, silent midnights. When you can't hear a snowmobile or any other sounds and are far enough from town so there's no background lighting and you can work up a sweat cross country skiing. The only problem is that mustache icicle.

On second thought, a cool summer night a few miles north of Telos Gate on NO moon is pretty cool, too. You've never seen stars until you're out in the sticks on a crystal clear night.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,326,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I think we're in for a warm summer here in Maine.The sunspots are back and that usually means warmer weather all the way around. Anything would be better than the wet, gloomy, cold summer we had last year. 53 degrees in July! We've already had a year's worth of rain this spring! A friend of mine in Cumberland's basement flooded for the first time in 25 years yesterday. The lakes and ponds are filled to overflowing!
I do hope it's a dryer summer than last year though I'm not keen on temp.s over 75-80 tops.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I do hope it's a dryer summer than last year though I'm not keen on temp.s over 75-80 tops.
It's supposed to be in the 80's by Sunday around Lewiston and Auburn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine