U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:07 PM

98 posts, read 449,154 times

Advertisements

Hello all! First post here and I have done some searching but would love to hear some specific comparisons between some towns/cities in Maine. I am looking at some dentist opportunities in the following cities:

Waterville
Old Town
Ellsworth
Eagle Lake
Harrington

I am married with two kids; relocating from Phoenix area. I lived in northern Maine/Nova Scotia for a while so am fairly familiar with the climate. Ideally, we would have reasonable access to shopping (willing to travel), access to coast and reasonable access to winter sports (snowboarding). Most of all, I am just looking for a good place to raise my family (schools/quality of life, etc). Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited by ruprick; 04-04-2010 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 04:45 PM

3,162 posts, read 5,696,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
Hello all! First post here and I have done some searching but would love to hear some specific comparisons between some towns/cities in Maine. I am looking at some dentist opportunities in the following cities:

Waterville
Old Town
Ellsworth
Eagle Lake
Harrington

I am married with two kids; relocating from Phoenix area. I lived in northern Maine/Nova Scotia for a while so am fairly familiar with the climate. Ideally, we would have reasonable access to shopping (willing to travel), access to coast and reasonable access to winter sports (snowboarding). Most of all, I am just looking for a good place to raise my family (schools/quality of life, etc). Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Ellsworth is close to the coast, and still within easy distance to Hermon Mt. for some snow activity. Old Town would be the other good choice. Harrington is near the coast. 1/2 hr. to Ellsworth to shop. Eagle Lake is hours from the coast.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:51 PM

98 posts, read 449,154 times
Thanks, austinb. I should have been more specific by stating access to coast is NOT a dealbreaker, but would be nice. Just looking for quality of life/outdoor amenities/reasonable access to the things I noted. Also, I should state that I don't want to be hours and hours away from everything.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
Thanks, austinb. I should have been more specific by stating access to coast is NOT a dealbreaker, but would be nice. Just looking for quality of life/outdoor amenities/reasonable access to the things I noted. Also, I should state that I don't want to be hours and hours away from everything.
Waterville then. It's got shopping, mtns. nearby, college town. About an hour from the coast. It's also right in the interstate.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:16 PM

7,728 posts, read 11,038,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Waterville then. It's got shopping, mtns. nearby, college town. About an hour from the coast. It's also right in the interstate.
Old Town is just a few minutes from Bangor, nearby college town (Orono) and is right on the interstate also.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:13 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,453,553 times
Out of all of those towns mentioned I would choose Greenville. Right by beautiful Moosehead Lake the gateway to the North Country. Greenville is a pretty town with some very nice people residing there. Don't go there trying to get rich, treat the locals well, offer payment plans, sponsor a little league team and you'll be a friend in a hurry! When you find that I helped you out with this post.... there is a crown I need looked at!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Out of all of those towns mentioned I would choose Greenville. Right by beautiful Moosehead Lake the gateway to the North Country. Greenville is a pretty town with some very nice people residing there. Don't go there trying to get rich, treat the locals well, offer payment plans, sponsor a little league team and you'll be a friend in a hurry! When you find that I helped you out with this post there is a crown I need looked at!
That's really odd... you seem to be the only one that mentioned Greenville.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
That's really odd... you seem to be the only one that mentioned Greenville.
Better list!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:23 PM

5,494 posts, read 3,912,875 times
I don't think he mentioned Greenville...
They're very different. Harrington is TINY, right on the coast. Washington County is the poorest in Maine. No skiing anywhere nearby. That's all I know about it.
Ellsworth: even farther to skiing. Traffic is becoming a nightmare in the summer (I have spent alot of tiime there). It's on the way to Acadia. Not a bad town but I think the sprawl is taking over little by little.
Waterville is the biggest. I have been there a fair amount and find it pretty depressing. It just seems old and run down. For example, I spent a day at the public library and it was nothing like my town's library, that's for sure! NOT family-friendly in that it seemed like all the young toughs and loud street people had taken over the whole place. The poor librarians seemed helpless to take it back. Waterville has Colby College. An hour or two to good skiiing.
Old Town: Again, an hour and a half to two hours for skiing. Mid-sized. I don't know it that well but I know it's been struggling after the mill closed down.
Eagle Lake is up near where I live. It's kind of a "Northern Exposure" type town, if you remember that TV show. GORGEOUS lake and area. Very hilly. It's on the edge of the Big Woods. Quite French. It has less than 2,000 people but that doubles in the summer (it's a big lake). It is fifteen minutes to Fort Kent which has a good, town-owned downhill ski facility, and the 10th Mountain Center (Olympic level ski events). Also has UMFK and the closest hospital. Also, Edmunston NB is 45 minutes away and is a good-sized city (with another good downhill ski area).
I would go with Eagle Lake, if you want family-friendly. Great people and school.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I don't think he mentioned Greenville...
They're very different. Harrington is TINY, right on the coast. Washington County is the poorest in Maine. No skiing anywhere's nearby. That's all I know about it.
Ellsworth: even farther to skiing. Traffic is becoming a nightmare in the summer (I have spend alot of tiime there). It's on the way to Acadia. Not a bad town but I think the sprawl is taking over a bit.
Waterville is the biggest. I have been there a fair amount and find it pretty depressing. It just seemed so run down. I spent a day at the public library and it was nothing like my town's library, that's for sure! NOT family-friendly in that it seemed like all the young toughs and loud street people had taken over the whole place. The poor librarians seemed helpless. Waterville has Colby College. An hour or two to good skiiing.
Old Town: Again, an hour or two to skiing. Mid-sized. I don't know it that well but I know it's been struggling after the mill closed down.
Eagle Lake is up near where I live. It's kind of a "Northern Exposure" type town, if you remember that TV show. GORGEOUS lake and area. Very hilly. It's on the edge of the Big Woods. Quite French. It is fifteen minutes to Fort Kent which has a great family ski area and the 10th Mountain Center (Olympic level ski events). Also has UMFK and the closest hospital. Also, Edmunston NB is 45 minutes away and is a good-sized city.
I would go with Eagle Lake, if you want family-friendly. Great people and school.
No....I mentioned Greenville.....some folks are easily confused evidently!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine