Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,352 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Maine this summer from North Carolina. My car recently broke down so I am in the market for a new one. I need some advice/opinions about the added utility/need for four wheel drive versus just front wheel drive given the snow and hills of Maine. I have my favorite cars narrowed down to the Honda Accord versus the Subaru Legacy. The deciding factor in my decision will really be how necessary/helpful the all wheel drive will be in Maine. If front wheel drive alone is adequate, I might lean toward the Accord. If all wheel drive is felt to be very favorable given the snowy winters and some steep terrain, I would lean toward the Legacy. I am in the healthcare field and need to be able to get to work no matter the weather, and I will be living in a relatively hilly area. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:53 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,573,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjensenMD View Post
I will be moving to Maine this summer from North Carolina. My car recently broke down so I am in the market for a new one. I need some advice/opinions about the added utility/need for four wheel drive versus just front wheel drive given the snow and hills of Maine. I have my favorite cars narrowed down to the Honda Accord versus the Subaru Legacy. The deciding factor in my decision will really be how necessary/helpful the all wheel drive will be in Maine. If front wheel drive alone is adequate, I might lean toward the Accord. If all wheel drive is felt to be very favorable given the snowy winters and some steep terrain, I would lean toward the Legacy. I am in the healthcare field and need to be able to get to work no matter the weather, and I will be living in a relatively hilly area. Any thoughts?
Looks to me like you answered your own question. The all wheel drive vehicle will undoubtedly go through more adverse conditions more reliably than the two wheel drive one.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:54 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,918,055 times
You won't NEED all wheel drive to get around anywhere in Maine for the most part. But once you have had all wheel drive, there will never be a need or reason to do without it.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,138,202 times
Welcome.

I'll take it by your CD name that you are a doctor, and as such will be required to go back and forth regardless of the time of day or night.

In your case, I'd probably recommend a All Wheel Drive. I know that when I worked the graveyard shift, I appreciated it when I had to go to work during a storm and before the plow trucks went out. Mine was a 4 wheel drive that I could operate in 2 wheel drive during good weather, but I did like to have the extra traction if I was headed in during a blizzard.

It saved me from a trip to the ditch a few times.

Last edited by cebdark; 04-14-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,858,743 times
You will always be better off in Maine with all wheel or four wheel drive. (Plus you can go off road if you want, the rest of the year )

Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,854,834 times
I'd go for a Jeep Cherokee or the like. 4WD when you need it and 2WD when you don't. Tough little buggers (I've had 2, ex got custody of the 1st) and believe them to be a workhorse on a high scale. When i drove between home here and Atlanta I always averaged 24-27 mpg too.

As already posted, with your work 2wd alone is not a good idea.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:30 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,661,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjensenMD View Post
Welcome! We moved to Maine from NC last year. We have one front-wheel drive car and a rear-wheel drive SUV. We didn't have any issues driving this winter. For the most part, Maine is very good about plowing/ salting. I probably will switch to a AWD when it's time to go car shopping again. Just in case. Good luck with your move!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,573,654 times
Last winter was not typical. I plowed three times last winter where I plowed dozens of times the winter previous to this one. We own a four wheel drive truck and a front wheel drive car. On snowy days my wife takes the truck as she feels safer and more confident it will handle the unplowed roads. Not all communities do a stellar job of plowing and sanding. If you schedule is such that you can wait for the roads to be cleared then you won't need AWD or a 4x4. If you have to drive in snow the front wheel drive is better than rear wheel but the 4x4 or AWD is the best choice. No one is reasonably going to argue against extra safety and traction. Practicality ....maybe... though for the extra money I'd get the 4x4 or AWD.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,188,266 times
We had Subaru's way back in the late '70's. Remember the Yama Yagi? The confidence of AWD and 4WD helps. It also helps just getting out of the driveway some times. We now have a Toytoa RAV 4 which I'll be shipping to Maine from the Caribbean shortly. And I'll find me a GMC 2500 extra cab to fish, hunt, cart grandchildren camping and plow with.

We just gotta get up at the end of the month and get harrowing/rototilling done. I NEED fresh cukes and tomatos for a change. And corn. And peas. And green beans. And swiss chard. And beets. Sorry about the hijack.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:11 PM

2,489 posts, read 3,384,601 times
Default Subaru shopping

I just test drove the 2010 Subaru Outback and the 2010 Forester today. Great cars! We have a Subaru Outback, and we plan to buy another Subaru for our move to Maine. We have not had a single problem with our Outback, and it is nearly 10 years old. It is an excellent car and fun to drive. Can't beat the AWD. We love our old Honda too, though.

Hope you are happy with your new car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine